eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
1/16/20 2:23 p.m.

The local charity auction has a 2004 Jag XJR-S.  Is this the same model that two teams brought to the challenge last year?  Should I be checking this out as a possible low effort entry for 2020?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/16/20 2:54 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Yes.  100% yes.

Just confirm with your own eyes that under the bonnet you see something like this:

and not this (which is naturally aspriated):

and the auctioneer hasn't mislabled the car's model.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/16/20 2:58 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

The local charity auction has a 2004 Jag XJR-S.  Is this the same model that two teams brought to the challenge last year?  Should I be checking this out as a possible low effort entry for 2020?

Also note that both of the Jaaaags finished above ALL Miatas (except Dusterbd13's).  Despite both cars wearing bland street tires (one was on 250TW and mine was on 500TW all-seasons), and full interiors with no effort applied to weight reduction.

Lots of performance for little money.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
1/16/20 3:01 p.m.

Well, this could turn into an expensive weekend.  Weather Saturday is pretty crappy, which seems to be the days wae and I tend to pick to go to the auction.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/20 3:23 p.m.

Do it

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/20 12:59 p.m.

I am an enabler, do it! Got one of these on my radar as well......

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/20 1:00 p.m.

Why would you ask such a question???

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
1/17/20 1:34 p.m.
SVreX said:

Why would you ask such a question???

I was looking mainly for the pitfalls and things I should keep an eye out for, to make sure I don't make a costly mistake.  So far I've read the 04s can have a bad torque converor, which I probably won't be able to verify at the auction, and that the air suspension components are failure prone - which I'm guessing I'll try to verify by seeing if the car is sitting really low when i inspect it before the auction begins.  If there are any other red flags out there that are easy to see, would love to know about them.  Otherwise, why wouldn't I want a 370 HP sedan as a challenge car.  Especially if I can gut it and add nitrous.

wae
wae UltraDork
1/17/20 1:41 p.m.

Raised Pinkie Death Kart.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/20 2:45 p.m.
wae said:

Raised Pinkie Death Kart.

CUT it and add nitrous, more like it. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
1/17/20 11:01 p.m.

It's become a moot point.  I just got home from trying to help my nephew fix his car, and it still needs work.  I'm too exhausted to get up early and stand around in the rain and 40 degree weather, so this one will have to go to someone else.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/20 6:59 a.m.

Nooooooooooooooo

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HsewB5vNZzw2tRmas2ryWQvAAd0O0IZEeU9RvGQBBB9ZaWd5IIogYjQi5TjVuxYh