1 2
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/17 4:33 p.m.

For rallycross the car is already "built" as-is. I think one of these would kick monumental amounts of ass in SF. The engine has a nice drivable powerband and the chassis dynamics are pretty durn good.

It's something I think about all the time. Sadly most of these are way too rusty to be safe anymore

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
5/29/17 4:39 p.m.

I don't think I've ever seen one so rusty it would be unsafe for rally cross. It's usually just the body panels that rot away. These cars don't get the love they deserve.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
5/29/17 5:13 p.m.

This one is extraordinarily non-rusty. Seriously.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/17 5:15 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I don't think I've ever seen one so rusty it would be unsafe for rally cross. It's usually just the body panels that rot away. These cars don't get the love they deserve.

The one my cousin just scrapped had nothing left in the body for the muffler to attach to. The racks break off of the subframes with some regularity but that can at least be fixed if the body isn't all rotted away where the subframe mounts.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/17 9:40 p.m.

For Christ's sake, how is this still here?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/7/17 2:08 p.m.

PM sent

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/19/17 3:38 p.m.

Through a seemingly impossible set of circumstances, this car is still here. If anyone wants it, act now. As soon as we have time to get a charity to come pick it up, it's going.

Txsilverbalt
Txsilverbalt New Reader
7/19/17 4:08 p.m.

So faaaaaaaaar away...

Seriously if you were closer I would come pick that thing up in a heart beat

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
7/20/17 10:05 a.m.

If my Miata was sold I'd be all over this. I hope you find a good home for it

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/20/17 11:33 a.m.

hmmm...I wonder if there isnt some way to work a deal with Tuna's single-mom friend whos trying to get out from under her terrible loan? Sell the Mirage back to the bank for what its worth, then only end up paying the difference, while having a reliable vehicle that she could own outright?

Not sure if a 5mt is something she can live with, but this ought to last at least a few more years, enough to get out from under the loan? Just that its in NY

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
7/20/17 4:13 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: hmmm...I wonder if there isnt some way to work a deal with Tuna's single-mom friend whos trying to get out from under her terrible loan? Sell the Mirage back to the bank for what its worth, then only end up paying the difference, while having a reliable vehicle that she could own outright? Not sure if a 5mt is something she can live with, but this ought to last at least a few more years, enough to get out from under the loan? Just that its in NY

Seems like a good match, and just the sort of thing my GF would like to see happen (well, that or the challenge option). That said, the distance is one issue, and the manual box is (potentially) another. I also can't say that the car won't need work in the next year or two, and down-time sounds problematic in the current situation. I'm happy to do what I can to facilitate on my end, if it is determined to be a good idea.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/21/17 5:47 a.m.

Yeah, distance is a problem. If I could get the thing to Atlanta, I would put the car to good use too. But NY is a haul.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WJ8HwXGuxXNzmNRSh2YtbdGmTXaj97t6XibZ04ua8zsbCOeMjTA9fSMAnZrCYXTk