Indy-Guy UberDork
3/21/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Yes!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/21/19 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

And it's no longer too tall to autocross!

I'd actually love to see it used to transport judges and GRM staff around the event. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/21/19 2:34 p.m.

My wife is awesome. I was throwing the first gen Odyssey at her and she says "if you want a road trip car we can look at a turbo Flex again" and I countered with "but I kind of want it for a Gastropod...." and she just says "oh, Gastropod, carry on with your dumb idea then"

I'm not 100% on the Odyssey, but that's currently in the lead. I should probably start another thread. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/21/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

But that Camry seats 7 and I want to see you put nitrous on it...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
3/25/19 5:59 a.m.

Saw this at TJ Max made me think of you guys. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/25/19 8:04 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

But that Camry seats 7 and I want to see you put nitrous on it...

I just want to see mazdeuce put nitrous on anything

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
3/26/19 9:49 p.m.

Could I make a $1600 miata competitive, or at least fun to take?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/19 10:02 p.m.

I picked a Caprice for my car because im driving 5k miles and it may include my dog, i know that sacrifice

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/19 5:28 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

If you’re making the trek to the Challenge we definitely have to put together a jam session this year. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/27/19 6:33 a.m.
Catlas_Se7en said:

Could I make a $1600 miata competitive, or at least fun to take?

Yes. Very much yes.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
3/27/19 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I'm going to check it out next saturday, it's $1650, manual, 200k miles. I already see one part I can recoup from (looking at you, giant ricer wing)

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
3/27/19 9:27 a.m.

Gastropod autox seems like it'll be a slugfest with all the talk of lightweight hatchbacks, miatas, bmw's etc. 

What will be the gastropod heavy hitters for the drag strip?

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
3/27/19 9:32 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Gastropod autox seems like it'll be a slugfest with all the talk of lightweight hatchbacks, miatas, bmw's etc. 

I was debating on a miata or a Caprice Wagon with the LT1 for my first car. If this miata falls through, I'm debating between the Caprice or a 1990 Corolla Wagon with a manual that I wanna turbo for the drag.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/27/19 9:47 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Saab turbo with the boost cranked up?  LT1 B-body or SN95 Mustang with nitrous?  Those would be my guesses.  

Edit:  or the later model 3-series BMW from another thread if it shows up.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/27/19 9:55 a.m.

The tire restriction makes it interesting. I'm thinking the winner will be a top end type car. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/27/19 10:12 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
klodkrawler05 said:

Saab turbo with the boost cranked up?  LT1 B-body or SN95 Mustang with nitrous?  Those would be my guesses.  

Was that the E46 someone here picked up for like $1500?  IIRC thats an auto 325, which is far from fast.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/27/19 10:50 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
eastsideTim said:
klodkrawler05 said:

Was that the E46 someone here picked up for like $1500?  IIRC thats an auto 325, which is far from fast.

Nope, this thing:  335

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
3/27/19 11:02 a.m.

Oh yup.....gonna be hard to beat a 335i with a JB4 already on it in the quarter mile.

That's a solid 350-400whp car with plenty of room left in the challenge budget to go faster surprise

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/19 1:18 p.m.

Turbo AWD Flex is a beast!   You should make that happen independent of the Gastropod pursuit.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/27/19 1:46 p.m.

i just picked something up to help the EGT with the drag racing portion of the program. Time to go FC RX7 injector hunting, and I still need to locate a MSP limited slip. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/27/19 2:01 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Probably the most “well bought” potential challenge car ever.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
3/27/19 2:22 p.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

If history is any indicator it will be rare that any 4 banger, blown or not, runs in the 13's.  A 335 ran 12's out of the box.  And low 12s at that.

What do you think?

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
3/27/19 2:37 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:
klodkrawler05 said:

If history is any indicator it will be rare that any 4 banger, blown or not, runs in the 13's.  A 335 ran 12's out of the box.  And low 12s at that.

What do you think?

Especially for a gastropod I think it will be unlikley that anything touches the German 2jz. I was thinking the newest mustang someone can find sub $2k or 4th gen Camaro but both of those options struggle to crack into the 13's. that 335 should be into the 12's regardless of the gastropod tire restriction. But I'd be rooting for a BMW to win regardless as I'm biased.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/27/19 2:51 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

I think it’ll need to be something else with a factory turbo or something RWD in good mechanical condition that was bought for $1500 or less, so there’s room for a used nitrous kit and a few supporting mods.  Even then, it’s doubtful.

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LtwK5GevXnq7yQOMyRX2DdRFFrm156Vbhbbc3LrRYq0aoDCpNqYa7FWVPDn5T9vJ