TurnerX19 HalfDork
3/19/19 4:31 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Wow, pretty close by toolaugh

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/19/19 7:38 p.m.
RedGT said:

Sold the 'omg it was a good buy' gastropod e46.

But all this discussion has me hooked.  I hope to be there with something.  October is a long way away in the car-ADD world.  My daily driver mazda3 is technically within budget by normal challenge rules. (i sold off the blingin' wheels it came with and turned them into Koni shocks which were definitely an upgrade - so that's a no-go for gastropod right?) 

Yea, that's a normal rule recoup thing. But you're right, October is at least 2-4 cars away.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
3/21/19 8:41 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Bent-Valve :

It's a weird box that we put the Gastropods in. We'll have a sit down among the competitors during/after the event to see what changes people want to see and I encourage you to participate. In fact, I encourage you to ask me for a shirt and stickers and to come hang out with us anyway. I'm convinced we'll be the cool kids this year.  laugh

I have mentioned to the wife that I want to go even if I don't have an entry. I'm eyeballing Gerti, I forget the budget but I might be able to squeak her into this category. I need to see what I have left to do, reread the rules and go from there. AND if it is her I'll be driving Gerti from Missouri!

As a matter of fact looking at the budget which includes the brake stuff:

So if I work smart I might just be horsing a Panther body around (or over!) the cones. And after watching some youtube footage of the event from years past, I'm hooked. I'll try to get the amounts and all on the latest spreadsheet then update it this weekend....

mazdeuce - Seth
3/21/19 8:46 a.m.

I'm also kind of half shopping for something because I think it would be lame to make the class and not even have something that's legal for it. I'm going to be wildly uncompetitive as I really need it to seat six and be able to drive the whole family cross country if needed. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/21/19 8:53 a.m.
captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/21/19 10:42 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

There's  a previa roadster for in Austin 

It'd also be at home at Radwood

And it's definitely a pod. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/21/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Yes!

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/21/19 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

And it's no longer too tall to autocross!

I'd actually love to see it used to transport judges and GRM staff around the event. 

mazdeuce - Seth
3/21/19 2:34 p.m.

My wife is awesome. I was throwing the first gen Odyssey at her and she says "if you want a road trip car we can look at a turbo Flex again" and I countered with "but I kind of want it for a Gastropod...." and she just says "oh, Gastropod, carry on with your dumb idea then"

I'm not 100% on the Odyssey, but that's currently in the lead. I should probably start another thread. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
3/21/19 2:44 p.m.

But that Camry seats 7 and I want to see you put nitrous on it...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
3/25/19 5:59 a.m.

Saw this at TJ Max made me think of you guys. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
3/25/19 8:04 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

But that Camry seats 7 and I want to see you put nitrous on it...

I just want to see mazdeuce put nitrous on anything

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
3/26/19 9:49 p.m.

Could I make a $1600 miata competitive, or at least fun to take?

Antihero
Antihero Dork
3/26/19 10:02 p.m.

I picked a Caprice for my car because im driving 5k miles and it may include my dog, i know that sacrifice

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
3/27/19 5:28 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

If you’re making the trek to the Challenge we definitely have to put together a jam session this year. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
3/27/19 6:33 a.m.
Catlas_Se7en said:

Could I make a $1600 miata competitive, or at least fun to take?

Yes. Very much yes.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
3/27/19 7:34 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

I'm going to check it out next saturday, it's $1650, manual, 200k miles. I already see one part I can recoup from (looking at you, giant ricer wing)

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
3/27/19 9:27 a.m.

Gastropod autox seems like it'll be a slugfest with all the talk of lightweight hatchbacks, miatas, bmw's etc. 

What will be the gastropod heavy hitters for the drag strip?

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
3/27/19 9:32 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Gastropod autox seems like it'll be a slugfest with all the talk of lightweight hatchbacks, miatas, bmw's etc. 

I was debating on a miata or a Caprice Wagon with the LT1 for my first car. If this miata falls through, I'm debating between the Caprice or a 1990 Corolla Wagon with a manual that I wanna turbo for the drag.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/27/19 9:47 a.m.
klodkrawler05 said:

Saab turbo with the boost cranked up?  LT1 B-body or SN95 Mustang with nitrous?  Those would be my guesses.  

Edit:  or the later model 3-series BMW from another thread if it shows up.

mazdeuce - Seth
3/27/19 9:55 a.m.

The tire restriction makes it interesting. I'm thinking the winner will be a top end type car. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/27/19 10:12 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
klodkrawler05 said:

Saab turbo with the boost cranked up?  LT1 B-body or SN95 Mustang with nitrous?  Those would be my guesses.  

Was that the E46 someone here picked up for like $1500?  IIRC thats an auto 325, which is far from fast.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/27/19 10:50 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
eastsideTim said:
klodkrawler05 said:

Was that the E46 someone here picked up for like $1500?  IIRC thats an auto 325, which is far from fast.

Nope, this thing:  335

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
3/27/19 11:02 a.m.

Oh yup.....gonna be hard to beat a 335i with a JB4 already on it in the quarter mile.

That's a solid 350-400whp car with plenty of room left in the challenge budget to go faster surprise

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
3/27/19 1:18 p.m.

Turbo AWD Flex is a beast!   You should make that happen independent of the Gastropod pursuit.

1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 36
Our Preferred Partners
yal0Zb6SEwx9KYYw0CdQBMnAzCbRCjT31Yqsq1adyJxU4CsPEyLMtFDksKsZU1JR