1 ... 34 35 36
bluej
bluej UberDork
10/28/19 8:39 p.m.
n8 said:

I think combining the official Daily Driver class with the Gastropod spirit makes sense. 250+ tw tires, wipers, headlights, full interior, radio, and other je ne sais quoi. 

It seems worth noting that the same car won both this year, so if that’s not enough reason I don’t know what is. I don’t think anyone is going to go through the trouble of gutting an interior but handicap themselves with junk tires just to win the DD class as written. 

I'd agree with this.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/28/19 8:49 p.m.

Hmm, well, you've convinced me. As long as there's still snail trophies every year. laugh

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
10/29/19 10:39 a.m.
Fladiver64 said:

I really liked the class and thought the re coup rules made us think more on our decisions, but I understand the magazine wants a more consistent set of rules. How about petitioning to change the daily driver class to include things like full interior, wipers, lights ect. This would basically be Gastropods without the extra budget rules, and more aligned editorially with guys that want dual purpose cars.

Agree. "Daily driver" class could be road legal with lights, wipers, and a semblance of interior at least. I talked with someone about the idea of having the Gastropod / Daily have to be a registered legal street car. 

That said, I totally get that GRM wants cool stories and editorial fodder for articles. That's cool. But I also see this side of things making the Challenge more approachable and therefore is bringing in future Challenge contenders once they're hooked by a more "fun" side of things. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/13/19 1:13 p.m.

A box came from Pete Gossett the other day. There were some shirts that didn't get picked up an award that I wasn't at the Challenge to receive, and something I didn't know about or expect. 

I've always thought the Spirit of the Event is the second highest award they give out. I'm flattered, humbled, and slightly bemused. It's hard to feel like I've earned this, but it motivates me to put effort in so that I can feel worthy. At to the signed shirt, I don't know what the story is, but I'm choked up every time I look at it and read what is written. You are wonderful people and this is a wonderful community. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
11/13/19 1:17 p.m.

Well deserved

bluej
bluej UberDork
11/13/19 2:27 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

Well deserved

Agreed. Hope the bum wing is doing better!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
11/13/19 2:45 p.m.

You rule Seth!

(I keep chickening out of asking for a gastropod shirt, I just felt like I would be bothering you)

johnnyrobbin
johnnyrobbin New Reader
11/13/19 4:30 p.m.

Seth

The story on the shirt is as follows.

As a GRM Forum lurker, I have followed all your posts, and after reading about your "over the handlebars ride" I remembered this shirt given to me way back when I laid my bike down. It was a no brainer to take it to the challenge, get as many fanboys and girls to sign it and get it to you. Glad you enjoy the shirt and the thoughts expressed by all your fans.

Hope to meet you sometime.

johnnyrobbin

PS  Please remember to keep the RIDE WITH PRECISION thought when next riding.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/13/19 5:48 p.m.

You deserved the spirit of the event award. They had an awesome picture of you hopped up on drugs post surgery as a background when it was announced. 

And remember, we ain't 16 anymore.....

1 ... 34 35 36
Our Preferred Partners
milgzjaVXZL0lCITvC1a0cc6uWJmaOvDkjjVk5WNANfMu6oH0L0AiYCcLgxZmg11