1 ... 5 6 7
cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
12/31/21 10:05 a.m.

Got a few spare minutes the other day to do put the old $80 GT45 ebay turbo that we had in 2020 back on the car, didn't take a log so no data but honestly it feels way more powerful and spools way faster. Not sure what the deal is since the billet VS is supposed to be better in every way, transient, hp/lb, etc. Going to take some logs this weekend and hopefully get the Mac valve set up and then go to the track this week to make some test hits. I would really love to touch a 9 with stock cam iron 4.8 and the cheapest "worst" turbo available, as well as completely stock bmw axles, diff etc that everyone said would break on the first burnout 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/9/22 12:44 p.m.

Just broke the right axle at the track, lol. 
it was a little loose when we had it up on the lift last night so we'll see long a fresh set of stock replacements last. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
1/9/22 12:46 p.m.

In reply to cruisermatt :

Well, looks like you're last post was a bit of foreshadowing wink.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/9/22 5:35 p.m.

Thats what i deserve

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/22 5:42 p.m.

Ok now that it's not even a roller anymore I'll triple your asking price from Oct.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/11/22 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It still rolls.. and drove on and back off the trailer into storage in 1wd laugh

Since we now seem to possibly be approaching the limits of the platform in terms of drag racing, the new tentative plan is to bring it to Challenge yet again this year kinda as it is, but with Microsquirt, some better Auto-x and some struts/shocks/swaybar upgrades, and a little more weight removed. Basically no serious changes. After 2021's results we were scheming to leave the BMW alone for a year, not bring it in 2022 and really do some serious work to shoot for overall 2023 win, but with the revelations of needing more event turnout we'll register and it bring it just because. Maybe I'll get my dad to register with it. 

Really trying to focus on the Mustang, but this car is still together so we'll keep playing with it and learning. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
2/1/22 1:58 p.m.

Friday we put some fresh Orielly axles in and burned off what was left of the free Potenzas from SR20 Datsun roadster team (John?? Sorry I'm forgetting your name). 

Just waiting on a final ruling on tires and we'll get some ordered up so we can do a few local auto-x this year. 

plan was to go to the track sunday one last time before the BMW gives up its fancy Goldbox for the 2JZ project.

broke the radiator loading it on the trailer and ended up working on the Mustang all day. Next Sunday, 9's?. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
2/15/22 3:47 p.m.

Bmw still lounging in my storage shed/future machine lab with a busted radiator. A local guy reached out and bought my 799 heads for $200 + traded for a set of LS6 springs. So now the original aluminum 5.3 is fully recouped as well as the 4.8 heads and rotating assembly from the van. We will see if it needs bottom end bearings when it gets pulled apart to swap the block whenever I get around to it. Definitely going to do cam bearings though. Other then that, $0 long block and valve springs. Almost certainly just going to stick with the stock truck cam. I think it will meet our 2023 goals (9.99 and top 10 auto-x). 

The bigger priority then the block swap is getting the car switched over to the microsquirt from the Goldbox (purchased for $600, traded to mustang build  for the Micro +$400). Probably going to redo the entire car's wiring at the same time. The novelty of a hundred wires running everywhere loosely has worn off and is now just a hassle. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/21/22 5:58 p.m.

Well we haven't really touched the 2JZ Fox since March, so BMW it is for 2023.
only changes really are a new radiator (aluminum 6-cyl 60's Mustang), LS1 intake (to clear the replacement hood that I never got around to fitting), and some absolutely awful slicks for auto-x. 
we have maybe two days worth of effort and one actual track day worth of testing. 

Maybe 3rd time is a charm. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/25/22 10:23 a.m.

Well, as normal, we ended up completely flopping compared to our goals. It really sucks because I actually went 10's just the weekend before at OSW and thought we were completely good to go. Get to drag racing at Gainesville and have a new engine noise out of nowhere (this is the van motor which was completely solid) and then a new issue with the it not wanting to rev over about 4800rpm -ish. 
on top of that the track was garbage. We were spinning leaving off idle and this car has never had traction issues even leaving off the brake on 8-10psi. 

EDIT I just looked at the results and saw we placed 10th overall so I guess that is nice. Was really shooting for a low 10-sec pass to put us in the top 5. 

well that's the end of the saga of disappointment - time to get going on the 2JZ mustang, for real this time

bmw roller sale thread is bumped back up and now includes everything, fuel system, battery cables, turbo, manifolds, seat, shifter,  another set of wheels with hoosiers, just not including the long block, transmission and ECU. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
11/7/22 9:27 a.m.

Friday evening I pointed the car at the street and yanked the motor for the last time. It wouldn't be the BMW without ATF everywhere. 
Saturday morning @madmrak  drove down from Georgia and bought the roller.

Then I took my girlfriend to the beach. 
Solid weekend. Glad the car is gone and also glad it is with someone who sounds like he knows what he's doing :)

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/22 1:07 p.m.

He's good peeps. I was hoping he'd get it. 

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lfJOqW87koG7h8mjRxnIo5piAWpLbaGAQCnakEqUUaep3dDFSElEOQko7urRGuYW