1 2 3
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/2/20 1:58 p.m.

We're still nailing down the other details of the $2000 Challenge, sponsors, etc., but one thing is certain: We'll be hosting the Challenge again next fall, which means it's time to get building!

And any great builder needs a great ruleset, so we've just posted the 2021 rules for your enjoyment:

https://2000challenge.com/rules

What's new? Honestly, not much. 2020 was a weird year during a pandemic, so we've erred on the side of caution and changed very little for 2021. Hopefully everybody who couldn't bring their cars this year will be able to make up for lost time and enjoy the event in 2021.

Key Changes:

• We'll penalize you if we hear your engine running under the concours pavilion. My ears still hurt from a certain team's open headers....
  • Brake boosters are covered under the Burchett rule.
  • Engines replaced under the wear and tear rule must have the same displacement. I don't expect this will matter much to the only team that's ever used the loophole that used to be here, as their new engine exploded a few weeks ago. Sounds Challenging!

Happy building, everybody! Let me know if you have any questions.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/2/20 2:02 p.m.

Thank you

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/2/20 2:54 p.m.

Since Radwood did not get a fair shake with the pandemic can we get a second shot at it as the special class?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/2/20 4:46 p.m.

Glad you left all my other loopholes in there.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/2/20 4:54 p.m.

Second radwood. 

And thanks for keeping it the same!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/2/20 5:37 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:
  • We'll penalize you if we hear your engine running under the concours pavilion. My ears still hurt from a certain team's open headers....

Good thing I'm bringing the turbo muffled thudding tractor.... cheeky

Another (somewhat self-serving) vote for Radwood theme!

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/2/20 8:12 p.m.

Currently I do not really have a challenge car, more like several piles of parts from at least three different cars... but, they are all from the 90's! Radwood again works for me

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/3/20 3:16 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Key Changes:

Could we do something less absolute but still acomplish the same goal? Maybe: No running cars under pavillion except to enter or exit, and no running cars while judging is taking place (with hours designated for judging)? That should make judging more pleasant and not require a Georgia Tech sized team to push your car to the concours.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/20 3:19 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Or make Georgia Tech push all cars through the concours.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/20 3:28 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

I was wondering about that too. If we park the car under the pavilion Friday night do we have to push it there, or is this a Saturday-only rule?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
12/3/20 3:54 p.m.
MrJoshua said:
Tom Suddard said:

Key Changes:

Could we do something less absolute but still acomplish the same goal? Maybe: No running cars under pavillion except to enter or exit, and no running cars while judging is taking place (with hours designated for judging)? That should make judging more pleasant and not require a Georgia Tech sized team to push your car to the concours.

If your race car is that heavy you've already lost like a lot just take the penalty (good-natured E36 M3 talking don't be offended) 

Seriously guys thank you for that should make everything go smoother. Hopefully, a little normalcy returns to the world and we get to see everybody in October 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/3/20 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Lol-the good news is the one we entered last year was so quiet we could leave it running the entire time and no one would notice.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/3/20 4:08 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to MrJoshua :

Or make Georgia Tech push all cars through the concours.

AngryCorvair-Problem Solver!

Stampie (FS)
12/3/20 4:59 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Entering and exiting won't work because that is one teams signature move.  I've noticed the same person doing it multiple years.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/3/20 7:24 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to MrJoshua :

Entering and exiting won't work because that is one teams signature move.  I've noticed the same person doing it multiple years.

Maybe we can make a concours "quiet time" that extends beyond judging. "No running engines under the pavilion between the hours of X and Y. If you choose to enter or exit the pavilion during those hours you must do so without your engine running under the pavilion or within the fenced area surrounding the pavilion. " That gives us a peaceful pavilion, those who are prepared the convenience of driving their cars to and from their pavilion spot,  and places the pushing burden on those who have some need to come or go during those hours.

Stampie (FS)
12/3/20 7:37 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Oh I agree that a hours limit would be best but I'm planning on bringing a really light car so that Lil Stampie can push me around easier.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/20 7:53 p.m.

Still want to see a "get your car in the pavilion by x time or you're not judged" rule. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/20 8:19 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to MrJoshua :

Oh I agree that a hours limit would be best but I'm planning on bringing a really light car so that Lil Stampie can push me around easier.

That's nice of you but how fast does he run the 1/4 mile?

Stampie (FS)
12/3/20 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Depends on how many ribeyes I bribe him with.

admc58
admc58 Reader
12/6/20 2:53 p.m.

All,

Can I PLEASE ask all of you who have door bars installed, to install padding on them.

I'm pretty sure I chipped an elbow driving one of the cars this year when it went in to violent front wheel Oscillation in the corners. OUCH!!! 

Kr,

Alan 

Stampie (FS)
12/6/20 4:45 p.m.

In reply to admc58 :

I'm planning on excessive padding cause that's totally budget free.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/20 4:54 p.m.

In reply to admc58 :

I remember those goose-eggs.  Did anyone get a picture?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/7/20 9:42 a.m.
admc58 said:

All,

Can I PLEASE ask all of you who have door bars installed, to install padding on them.

I'm pretty sure I chipped an elbow driving one of the cars this year when it went in to violent front wheel Oscillation in the corners. OUCH!!! 

Kr,

Alan 

Hey, I just sent you a PM on this topic. Let me know if you didn't get it. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/7/20 1:14 p.m.

Oops! I'll clarify that engines can't be running during the concours. We'll still let you drive in in the morning.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YJN73euvtoTSenArfjIZq2wgawNSkflIme85qIEQiIqf7EJYgrWjuU4tFn3YtxeM