With the 2020 Challenge firmly in the rear view mirror the next degeneration of the $h!tbarge has started. 

The goal for 2020 was simple. Baseline. 2021 will bring the project to another level. 

Teething issues on the car were rather simple. With the switchgear stripped off the console the transmission was locked into limp home mode. That created a 40% initial throttle through first gear and the transmission was not allowed to shift down out of second. It mad for interesting driving because I knew something was borked but couldn't locate it. 

Resolution: ECU remap with the TCS defeated from the system. Other benefits include raising the rev limiter to 7000RPM and deleting the rear O2 sensors as well as a box tune for the 3UZ. It set me back $500, and yes I probably could have Megasquirted it for similar money but I still have my transmission controls and that's important right now. 

To take full advantage of the tune and very open air intake I an dropping the OE manifold back exhaust down and opening up the pipe to 2.5" with a cheap eBay pipe and bend kit and an X flow muffler and some turn downs. It should be better than the 1.75" pipe it was wheezing though last year.

There may be a Nitrous Oxide tank in the trunk as well.

This leaves the diet. Those that viewed the car know that it was FULL WEIGHT on the interior. Leather, air bags, all the extras. That will have to change drastically. Taking a play from the Nelson's and Hong Norr books, it's getting gutted. Anything that I don't find necessary I will be removing. 

So what is your plan for 2021?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/14/20 8:12 a.m.

Probably just say berkeley it and overspend on D2D... then scramble for something else.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/20 8:56 a.m.

Well, I have both a dad bod and a hot rod.

Goal for 2021 is to make both lighter?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/20 8:59 a.m.

Try to fix the DSM but not blow up the DSM. 

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/20 10:30 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) Forum Supporter :

Just bring it. Bring everything you got except for excuses. I don't want to hear any after I walk away from you in the drags, again... cheeky

I have a lot of parts from several different cars that I am attempting to combine into one fairly complete entry. Lots of room in the budget and potential for my first multi year build. I am not going to play around and just show up, the plan is to race hard for a change and actually put in some serious effort.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/20 12:41 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Well, I have both a dad bod and a hot rod.

Goal for 2021 is to make both lighter?

Truth.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/14/20 1:05 p.m.

and I've obtained wheels that will fit 245s. I have $1200 left towards boost and keeping the transmission together. I need to find a junkyard msp to raid for the limited slip, and a Kia Sephia for the transmission and axles, then I can manage both. I could use the RAV4 bits, but I'll want better engine management then a speeduino unit if having the ability to put that much down. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/15/20 10:48 p.m.

My plan for 2021 is to begin working on our 2022 entry. Lack of funds, time, and the distance between my home and the home of my teammate makes 2021 an impossible goal. 

However, I'll be there in 2021 as a volunteer for sure. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/20/20 5:15 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

and I've obtained wheels that will fit 245s. I have $1200 left towards boost and keeping the transmission together. I need to find a junkyard msp to raid for the limited slip, and a Kia Sephia for the transmission and axles, then I can manage both. I could use the RAV4 bits, but I'll want better engine management then a speeduino unit if having the ability to put that much down. 

I was looking at your pic thinking that was an ingenious brake line holder made out of an old wrench....

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
12/24/20 1:53 p.m.

If travel allows...my plan for the 2021 Challenge event weekend will have me in Europe for work!

But I still plan to build a Challenge project and possibly task someone with the trailering/driving duties for the event? I do know a couple that lives in Ocala Florida, that are both good drivers and would likely take me up on the offer.  With only a 1 hour tow from their place, this seems doable?

That's if I get it completed ahead of the event???  I had no sleep on Thursday night or Friday night at this years event!  So we will see?

12/24/20 2:19 p.m.

I now have a set of injectors from a CNG powered panther platform headed my way. Boost is happening. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/24/20 3:23 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

My plan for 2021 is to begin working on our 2022 entry. Lack of funds, time, and the distance between my home and the home of my teammate makes 2021 an impossible goal. 

I intend to start this year on my 2023 entry er 2024 entry.( Claiming an Old Geezer Handicap) But in any case since we're talking a 3000 mile round trip I intend to participate remotely. Local drag race ( I'll be at over 900 feet above sea level ((excuse#1))  )  and whoever is running an autocross locally. 

12/24/20 4:50 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Now I'm going to try to crack the top 10 overall the challenge, then come out to where you autocross, sandbag, and lose to you by 3 seconds, so that you drag your ass out in 2022. 

Today's $150 score. 

Removing the largest single entry on the Challenge budget.

Whoop!

Change of plans. Picking this up on Sunday. Looks like 2021 is in the works.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Woohoo!

I am so jealous

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/7/21 5:21 p.m.

Change of plans. Picking this up on Sunday. Looks like 2021 is in the works.

I really like a Morris Minor.  Which engine? 948? 1098?  1275?  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 5:33 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Frenchy ... it has a 350 SBC of course.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/21 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Don't you mean 5700?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 6:55 p.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

If you're measuring in French units.

It's on a Chevy truck frame. Tree fiddy. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
2/21/21 10:20 a.m.

That is amazing.  So much winning, we may tire of all the winning.

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
2/22/21 1:36 a.m.

I'm interested in this one!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iu09wr9bPt2JpT759Ua5HquVG3R5JB6qIyoBxlJ7VyKTzr8gMmTRsRrBXXz4WpF8