racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
2/24/11 2:48 p.m.

I'm thinking about selling my project 240Z. I've owned it about 5 or 6 years, during which time I've "restored" a couple of houses along the way. Anyway, I haven't had much time to work on it, and don't see any in the forseeable future, so I'm thinking of moving it on, maybe to someone for a challenge project.

It ran the last time I started it about year ago. When I orginally got it, I drove it a few times and the motor was pretty strong and didn't smoke. I restored the gas tank last year and started it again, this time it did smoke. Not sure the reasons, but I would do a look inside to see.

it does have some rust, mainly in the battery box area. i do have a donor from a rust free car that comes with it. There is also some at the bottom of the passenger fender, but none on the inner areas, and some just above the tail lights on the drivers side. That's about all I've found.

I do also have the following that comes with it. An extra set of carbs from a '72. i bought them off ebay and they are supposedly rebuilt, but I've never even taken off the bubble wrap. I also have a carpet set, new door gaskets, a Pertronix ignition, a bunch of AC parts, condition unknown. The fuel pump was replaced last year, and it has zero mileage Motorsports Auto header and exhaust on it as well. Oh, and it has an air dam on the car, but I've also sourced the valances to put the front back to stock that comes with it.

I'll post pics soon hopefully, but I'd let it go to someone to build for a challenge car for $1,100. it comes with plenty of parts to sell!

Almost forgot, I'm in Huntsville, AL.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
2/24/11 9:54 p.m.

nobody called me? I should have my tax money back in 2-3 weeks.

thanks for remembering me, guys. (stupid job I have cuts into my life)

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
2/27/11 6:56 a.m.

wow - my tax money is in the bank already......

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/27/11 8:07 a.m.

Watch for a PM

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/27/11 11:53 a.m.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HURRY UP AND BUY THIS SO I CAN STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
2/28/11 8:13 a.m.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/1/11 8:12 a.m.

Hopefully a few more pics soon. The first pic above is the worst of the rust.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/1/11 11:55 a.m.

do you have a clear ownership title to pass along?

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/1/11 12:40 p.m.

I do, but Alabama was not a title state in '71. I got an AZ title when I got it, but the state kept it. There is paper work the state gives out to other states that are. So, it will be a bill of sale plus the appropriate AL paperwork to get it titled in your state.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/1/11 12:41 p.m.

I also have some amount of paperwork that came with the car for repairs along it's life, as well as manuals and a restoration book. The repair invoices, while far from complete, is fairly interesting.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/1/11 4:32 p.m.

I thought Alabama required titles on all cars. What is the cutoff date for that and does it apply to bikes?

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/1/11 4:36 p.m.

Don't know about bikes, but any pre-'75 car in AL has no title.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/1/11 5:15 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I got an AZ title when I got it, but the state kept it. There is paper work the state gives out to other states that are. So, it will be a bill of sale plus the appropriate AL paperwork to get it titled in your state.

It would make sense that since 'bama is giving out paperwork to other states......then the paperwork should just be a title and make life easier. Also since you handed them an Arizona title to start with.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/2/11 10:17 a.m.
pete240z wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: I got an AZ title when I got it, but the state kept it. There is paper work the state gives out to other states that are. So, it will be a bill of sale plus the appropriate AL paperwork to get it titled in your state.
It would make sense that since 'bama is giving out paperwork to other states......then the paperwork should just be a title and make life easier. Also since you handed them an Arizona title to start with.

You would think...but that would make too much sense! DMV and common sense really don't mix very well...I have many, many DMV stories!

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/10/11 4:35 p.m.

New price; $1,100. I love this car, but I really want a working toy rather a some assembly required (or in this case, a redo and reassembly) one at this point!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
3/12/11 5:45 p.m.

My all time favorite car. I've had 3 Z cars, love them. No money. Going to lay down and cry now.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/14/11 9:45 p.m.

Illinois will not accept it with a title......or will they?

the price is right....please make that title issue go away.......I could take my wife and we can visit her family in Piedmont, Alabama..........make the title work for Jesse White and Illinois......

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Reader
3/14/11 10:24 p.m.

I need a 240..

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
3/14/11 11:41 p.m.
pete240z wrote: Illinois will not accept it with a title......or will they?

I bet they will. You just have to talk to someone at DMV. There are several "non title issuing jurisdictions" in the U.S. Other states take their paperwork. Got the title for my Celica here in Colorado with just a registration from Maine.

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
3/15/11 8:05 a.m.

Call your local DMV. There is no way possible to get a title for here, as they don't issue titles to anything below 1975. What you get buying an older car here is a Bill of Sale, and some paperwork from the state testifiying that it is what it is, and that they don't have titles. I've sold numerous cars over the years to people in other states without any issues. My last one was my '74 X1/9 that went to Indiana.

It's really not a big issue, you just call the state and see if they need anything else in terms of paperwork. Alabama is not the only state like this, but they seemed to be the last holdout.

Years ago people would bring in grey market cars and title them here because there was no inspection, no nothing. I remember seeing a Ferrari Superfast in Road and Track with Alabama plates years ago, even though it was owned by Harrah.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/15/11 11:43 a.m.

Uh oh. The wife is going to flip.........Per the State of Illinois:

Thank you for directing your questions to the Office of the Secretary of State via the internet. The State of Alabama did not issue titles until 1973. A bill of sale with the seller's Alabama address is required to apply for title and registration in the State of Illinois.

itsarebuild
3/15/11 1:36 p.m.
pete240z wrote: Uh oh. The wife is going to flip.........Per the State of Illinois: Thank you for directing your questions to the Office of the Secretary of State via the internet. The State of Alabama did not issue titles until 1973. A bill of sale with the seller's Alabama address is required to apply for title and registration in the State of Illinois.

does this mean you are going to buy this car and save me from my agony?

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/15/11 2:41 p.m.
itsarebuild wrote:
pete240z wrote: Uh oh. The wife is going to flip.........Per the State of Illinois: Thank you for directing your questions to the Office of the Secretary of State via the internet. The State of Alabama did not issue titles until 1973. A bill of sale with the seller's Alabama address is required to apply for title and registration in the State of Illinois.
does this mean you are going to buy this car and save me from my agony?

you need to buy it as the wife won't let me borrow her Trailblazer to grab a uhaul trailer and head 600+ mile to Huntsville. Plus I have a Grand Marquis and Lumina to "clean" up and sell. (get rid of?)

itsarebuild
3/15/11 6:01 p.m.

trust me... i want to. but my back yard is already looking like a used car lot and i am doing all i can to keep the population from growing! i'm afraid my best intentions will only lead to rust developing in worse place on that car and i like them too much to kill one!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/15/11 8:25 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Call your local DMV. There is no way possible to get a title for here, as they don't issue titles to anything below 1975. What you get buying an older car here is a Bill of Sale, and some paperwork from the state testifiying that it is what it is, and that they don't have titles. I've sold numerous cars over the years to people in other states without any issues. My last one was my '74 X1/9 that went to Indiana. It's really not a big issue, you just call the state and see if they need anything else in terms of paperwork. Alabama is not the only state like this, but they seemed to be the last holdout.

Generally, most states that require titles accept bill of sales from states that do not require titles (and then issue titles).

There are a couple of states which do not recognize bill of sales. Don't remember which ones. But I'm pretty sure that those states recognize the registration (which is legally the "title" in a non-title state).

If you are really in a bind and the state of purchase won't title it with a bill of sale, register it (in AL, before selling). I've had to do this once for a buyer (GA is similar to AL). It worked fine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z8FvzYWyPDQd3syXZZ7EFonVNr0Jy93yU415GpzAbprtIF57a25ppWib8EOcQbsS