1 2 3
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/17/13 10:08 p.m.

I'm editing this rather than starting a new ad. I need to get rid of this and trade it for a reliable car. See details in the next line.

I need a car for my step-daughter. My 2 requirements are: Automatic, and dead-nuts reliable. Depending on the value of whatever you have, all or part of this deal could be included, and/or some additional cash and/or delivery. What do you have???

Yup, this one is mine. Full details and pics are in the build thread here.

A couple things have lead me to the point of selling out: 1.) I've finally got the Miata to a point where I don't hate autocrossing it, yet I'm far from reaching the ability to pull of consistently fast times with it. So it seems ludicrous to build a car that's exponentially faster, knowing I'm struggling to drive a slow RWD car fast. And 2.) I've reached a point in my life(Maturity? Damn I hate that word!) where I'd like to start making a bit of money, but to do that I need to free up some cash.

So here's the special GRM super-secret handshake, just trying to recoup my costs, deal...or we can talk package-price if you're interested.

1972 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Federal - $2013.

The good: This includes the original stock Twin Cam engine(worth about $2k alone in its present condition). It hasn't been started in about 20-years, but it "ran when parked". Since the crank pulley isn't really accessible from above, I have not tried to turn it over by hand. It has over 40kmi on it though, which is the service life for the head, so expect the engine would need refreshed. There are a pair of straight bumpers with decent chrome. The two seats are nice, one is nearly perfect, and the other only has a small crack on one side. I have all-4 original alloy Lotus wheels(as well as one or two steel wheels). There is a brand new walnut dash for the car. I have a couple boxes of parts, including new rear brake shoes, extras pulled of the 2nd car(which is gone), etc.

The bad: The windshield is cracked(I have a new one, see below), there is also a 2nd cracked windshield included to use the two as templates/form to make a lexan one. The front right corner of the frame is rusted out(I have a new one of these too, see below). If you're handy with 16-gauge sheetmetal fabrication, this may be an easy repair for you. The dash face is delaminating, but a new walnut dash is included. Um...it's a 41-year old British car that hasn't been driven since 1983.

Brand new windshield - $550. That's what I paid for the windshield. It's still in the shipping crate.

Brand new factory Lotus frame, including rear cross braces and new coolant pipes. These don't come up for-sale often, no idea what it's worth, but I'm guessing more than I'm asking here - $750.

Lotus/Renault Type-352 transmission, with shift linkage, and clutch/flywheel assembly. The transmission in the car is a Type 336, the 352 has greater power capacity(around 200hp). These were pulled from the '73 parts-car before I sold it. I've cleaned the 40+ years of funk off the outside, but it will need new seals and the linkage will need new bushings - $250.

2000 Ford Zetec engine, with MANY performance parts. I pulled this out of a rolled 2000 Focus with ~160kmi that ran & drove fine. I have all stock parts to go back on in, in addition to the following: Ported/polished head with titanium springs, aftermarket cams/gears(don't remember the specs offhand, but they're in the build-thread, or I can get them off the box), Weber/ITB intake manifold with Suzuki GSXR 750 ITBs attached, aftermarket "Ram horn" header, to clear the Europa frame, BRG aluminum valve cover with polished aluminum oil cap(for a vintage look), brand new gasket & timing belt kits, and a full Megasquirt setup pulled from a running Zetec. I believe there's more too, but I'll have to look through the piles of boxes. I honestly have more in this than the rest of the car, and this is a major loss, but - $2013.

I could deliver for a fee(within a reasonable distance, I don't really have the time for a cross-country trip), I could drop the price for a package deal, or I may even consider trades(but it would have to pretty much be a non-project).

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
7/18/13 9:57 a.m.

I hope it goes to a good home.......I wish it were mine though.

petegossett
7/18/13 11:07 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

I'd suggest a trade, but I prefer my cars to be free of big creepy spiders.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
7/18/13 1:42 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Its all good, they're crunchy.

KazeSpec
KazeSpec New Reader
7/19/13 12:54 a.m.

hope it goes to another fellow europa owner!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Reader
7/19/13 11:17 a.m.

I so wish I wasn't stuck under my Midget project. I would be at your door today for the Europa.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/13 11:27 a.m.

Well thats easy. Bring your midget to me and take the Europa back home with you.

Would live to get his pile of lotus but I think I have to much on my plate right now.

paranoid_android74
7/19/13 11:46 a.m.

That's the kicker though- you would have to give me $2013 for my Midget to facilitate bringing the Lotus home

nocones wrote: Well thats easy. Bring your midget to me and take the Europa back home with you. Would live to get his pile of lotus but I think I have to much on my plate right now.
petegossett
7/19/13 12:00 p.m.

Interestingly, I have someone potentially interested in trading a rotary-powered Midget for it. Might be worth considering...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/27/13 6:24 a.m.

Damn do I wish there was some way for me to get this... No time, space or talent...

paranoid_android74
7/27/13 8:07 a.m.

That would be a darned fun little car! IMO rotaries are the way to go for Spridget swaps.

petegossett wrote: Interestingly, I have someone potentially interested in trading a rotary-powered Midget for it. Might be worth considering...
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/29/13 12:19 p.m.

Pete:

Am I understanding that the car and the Zetec are being sold separately, and BOTH are $2013? Or are you saying the 2 together are $2013?

Is the Europa essentially a complete car?

What other goodies did you keep from the black car?

I need to build a rear end (hub-hub, including swing arms), could also use a strong trans, and need a (mostly) complete interior and maybe a windsheild, so I don't really need a whole car, but might consider it if the right parts came along with it.

Are you moving on the Ro-Midget? I might be interested.

After the 20B thread, I am pretty committed to building a rotary Lotus.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
7/29/13 1:40 p.m.

So when do we know when it is our turn to get one of the Europas floating around here. Are the Europas assigned by post count or is is more random than that? I'm just trying to make sure I'm ready when it is my turn to drag one of these Sisyphusian projects home.

Has anyone here actually FINISHED a project Europa?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/29/13 1:51 p.m.
slefain wrote: Has anyone here actually FINISHED a project Europa?

Nobody has EVER finished a Europa. Not even Lotus.

petegossett
7/29/13 2:13 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I can attest that is a very accurate statement.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/29/13 2:21 p.m.

True.

Can I be first?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/29/13 2:44 p.m.
SVreX wrote: True. Can I be first?

PLEASE DO - we'd all love to read it.

paranoid_android74
7/29/13 3:42 p.m.

Just curious- why not?

tuna55 wrote:
tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/29/13 5:42 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: Just curious- why not?
tuna55 wrote:

I don't know. Buy one and report back.

paranoid_android74
7/29/13 5:47 p.m.

If I had the dough it would be in my garage right now...

tuna55 wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: Just curious- why not?
tuna55 wrote:
I don't know. Buy one and report back.
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/29/13 6:04 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:

I'm trying. I'm trying. Unfortunately, for the moment I am in the same category as everyone else.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/29/13 6:17 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
I'm trying. I'm trying. Unfortunately, for the moment I am in the same category as everyone else.

One bit at a time. Javelin may run out of oatmeal before I finish my project, but it will get done.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/29/13 6:20 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

That was my attitude. I was moving along slowly, but moving.

Until the 20B Europa thread... now I've got a lot more work to do!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/29/13 7:11 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to tuna55: That was my attitude. I was moving along slowly, but moving. Until the 20B Europa thread... now I've got a lot more work to do!

Do you have a thread? My dozen or so fans keep me going. Even tonight, after sleeping from 12-1:30 and then from 2-2:30 I am still going to try my best to get out there so John's proud of the tuckus kick he gave me to get this thing done.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/29/13 7:36 p.m.

No build thread. I have enough trouble keeping up with my life without getting buried in keeping that up too. But I get how those fans can keep you moving.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TOK07g4mOtSuVaOdSvprYemddxFmg8Q6cKPVy5nCtH6J6jLHHjsHSut5pDI0iPg2