1 2 3
inopain
inopain None
8/9/13 8:12 a.m.

In reply to petegossett:where are you located?

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/10/13 9:20 p.m.

I'm bumping this back to the top because a.) I need the room, and b.) I need a reliable car for my step-daughter.

So here's the deal, I need something with an automatic that's dead-nuts reliable. In exchange, depending on the value, I'll offer part or all of this Europa deal, and/or possibly some cash, and/or delivery.

What do you have????

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/11/13 9:55 a.m.

If the fukus wasn't my only winter beater, I'd try to trade you that.....

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/11/13 11:10 a.m.

Just use the Europa!

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/11/13 11:58 a.m.

In reply to petegossett:

LoL, the body won't rust, but the frame.......well, lets not even mention the frame.

kiwis
kiwis
12/9/13 2:08 p.m.

Are frame and windshield still available?

Is frame for a TC with a 352 4sp trans?

Thanks

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/13 3:51 p.m.

Everything is still available. I'll sell the whole package with/without the Zetec, but not part it out. Yes, the new frame is for a 352, which is included.

kiwis
kiwis New Reader
12/19/13 9:13 p.m.

Hmm... the way you priced out the windshield ($550) and Frame ($750) I assumed they were for sale separately. Did I miss something?

petegossett
12/20/13 6:31 a.m.

Well, if someone wants just the car without the windshield or frame, I would then sell them separately, but the buyer of the car gets first refusal on the spare parts.

It's an option to allow anyone interested in building a Challenge car or racecar out of it, a way to do so on a budget. :D

kiwis
kiwis New Reader
12/20/13 7:59 a.m.

Do you have a deadline on selling whole package before considering selling frame + windshield?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/20/13 8:06 a.m.

kiwis:

You've got mail. I've got a frame, if you are interested.

petegossett
12/20/13 11:47 a.m.

In reply to kiwis:

Nope. Eventually, someday, I may get around to fixing it.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
12/20/13 5:26 p.m.

I was thinking of your Europa today, and wondered how in the world you would put a cage in it? Is that even possible?

petegossett wrote: In reply to kiwis: Nope. Eventually, someday, I may get around to fixing it.
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/13 6:11 p.m.

I knew a guy who had a roll bar in his.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
12/20/13 7:01 p.m.

Attached to what?

It seems it would all have to come back to the "frame" somehow through a lot of fiberglass.

Woody wrote: I knew a guy who had a roll bar in his.
petegossett
12/20/13 8:54 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android74:

Exactly!

Look under the chassis section here for more details and drawings.

The_Mad_Hungarian
The_Mad_Hungarian New Reader
12/21/13 9:55 a.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Pete - 1. Where are you located? 2. I have an 89 Civic I'm trying to part ways with that needs some TLC but would probably be a good first car for a young person. Call me - 931-644-9061 - and let's talk.......

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
12/21/13 10:05 a.m.

Are you sure you want to post your phone number on the internet like that?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/21/13 11:06 a.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: I was thinking of your Europa today, and wondered how in the world you would put a cage in it? Is that even possible?

Yes, it's possible.

I've spent a lot of time on this.

Believe it or not, one could be installed in complete accordance with SCCA and NHRA attached to the OEM floor pan. It would serve absolutely no purpose, but it would be legal. (though I hope any inspector would fail it on principle).

An alternate design could be built, with bracing to the center tunnel which became the primary structural component. I know enough about engineering to understanding this could be done effectively and safely. It would not be legal in any sanctioning body.

Another alternate design could be done with bends that return to the tunnel at floor level. Might work, but would not be legal (too many bends).

The last option would be to build a tube frame around a pan out of square tubing, and attach a standard roll bar/ cage to the tube frame. It would require cutting out most of the original pan, running the tube frame through the door sills, and loosing the flat bottom of the car. It would be both legal and safe. It would also add a lot of weight to a car that was designed to save every ounce possible, effectively compromising the original design and performance.

There you have it. All the bad ways to build a roll cage for a Europa.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/21/13 11:10 a.m.

My opinion is that a roll cage for a Europa is not a good idea.

The better idea would be to keep it in classes that do not require a cage, and reinforce the body with integrated carbon fiber reinforcements.

Carbon fiber could be done with all the strength and safety of a cage, but it won't be legal in any sanctioning body.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
12/21/13 12:38 p.m.

There has been a fiberglass Lotus in Lemons and they had to have steel plinths built up from the steel backbone to provide a solid place to support the cage. The seat was also required to be on tubular steel supports that tied into the cage very solidly. It was a huge undertaking but resulted in a very safe structure.

petegossett
12/21/13 6:19 p.m.

In reply to The_Mad_Hungarian:

Judging by your area code, probably 1/2-way across the country. I'm in IL. :)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/21/13 6:38 p.m.
dculberson wrote: There has been a fiberglass Lotus in Lemons and they had to have steel plinths built up from the steel backbone to provide a solid place to support the cage. The seat was also required to be on tubular steel supports that tied into the cage very solidly. It was a huge undertaking but resulted in a very safe structure.

That is essentially my "tube frame" option.

Basically, a standard roll bar is attached to structure that has been added.

twmotox
twmotox New Reader
12/25/13 9:19 a.m.

I have an automatic 95 Miata. Do you have any pics

petegossett
12/25/13 9:25 a.m.

In reply to twmotox:

Here's the link to my build thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/basket-case-europas/53366/page1/

All the details are in my first post on page-1 of THIS thread.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YNolODVszB1V9q89hHMUi7mKtGhoZJkOpACpDKZ5ot2zEvmrp5UrKHngRbwC57Au