1 2
The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
6/27/12 7:43 a.m.

http://peoria.craigslist.org/cto/3070843601.html

Apparently this combination of options is rare on a 735. It's a bit over $2,012 but the price is coming down.

Not mine, no affiliation.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
6/27/12 8:34 a.m.

Wow, those are rare bird. I know a guy who used to own one. I've never seen another.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/12 8:53 a.m.

I've never seen that generation of 7 series with a stick. The generation before (E23?) they were relatively common. That's a pretty cool ride.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
6/27/12 8:18 p.m.

As psteav says:

up until this gen. of "7" series, a manual transmission wasn't too rare. Then in one jump...they were gone. Nice car, but it would be nice to have a bit more info (but that's why folks want to get all those calls, right?).

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
6/27/12 8:21 p.m.

BTW,

someone has/had a late-ish model 750 on my "local" CL for $2,500. I was tempted to post it to one of the other parts of the bulletin board. Supposedly, this car had a spark plug problem and the owner was selling because a shop told him it would cost $1,500 for plugs and wires...are 12 cylinder plugs and wires that expensive and/or hard to change?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/27/12 9:04 p.m.

I remember the V12 tuneup[ parts being shockingly expensive. Had one customer bring one in, wanted us to replace one spark plug.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
6/27/12 10:07 p.m.

Wow, this vintage 735i with 5 speed is a unicorn......someone will be a lucky buyer.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
6/28/12 8:45 a.m.

This car has been haunting my thoughts since being posted.. Man this would make a great daily driver.

@integraguy: A $2500 750 isn't actually very rare at all. I've seen them for as low as $500. A "spark" problem could be anything from a plug or wire to one of the two ECU's. They're horrifically expensive to work on; one of the reasons I've heard spark plugs are so expensive is because of the labor to get to them. They're not readily accessible.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
6/28/12 9:30 a.m.

I really want this car. Too bad. Maybe in a few months I'll be able to swing something like that (fingers crossed).

I have some experience* with BMW's and could check this out for those interested.

*some experience=DDing a 91 318 for a year or so, as well as driving my Dads current DD of 4 years, which is a 95 525. Not much technical knowledge here, but I could at least take detailed pictures.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
6/28/12 10:55 a.m.

That's sweet. Where were these things when I had the money?

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
6/28/12 11:03 a.m.

Damn it! This thing is only like 3 hours from me and I would love this thing. No money for car. Also wife would be pissed!

The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
6/29/12 8:50 a.m.
dculberson wrote: This car has been haunting my thoughts since being posted.. Man this would make a great daily driver. @integraguy: A $2500 750 isn't actually very rare at all. I've seen them for as low as $500. A "spark" problem could be anything from a plug or wire to one of the two ECU's. They're horrifically expensive to work on; one of the reasons I've heard spark plugs are so expensive is because of the labor to get to them. They're not readily accessible.

It's been in my thoughts as well...

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/22/17 12:02 p.m.
mtn wrote: I really want this car. Too bad. Maybe in a few months I'll be able to swing something like that (fingers crossed). I have some experience* with BMW's and could check this out for those interested. *some experience=DDing a 91 318 for a year or so, as well as driving my Dads current DD of 4 years, which is a 95 525. Not much technical knowledge here, but I could at least take detailed pictures.

There's another '88 735i with a 5-speed at a stealership I drive past every day on my way to work. It has 160,000+ miles and they're asking $2,495 at the moment. I might be able to stop and put an eyeball on it today. I keep thinking about buying it but old, high-mileage German cars scare me.

NMNA no pics, just the ad

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/22/17 12:04 p.m.

I keep thinking it would be cool to have but the joy of wrenching has left me.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
5/22/17 12:20 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

For that engine/drivetrain 161k is not high mileage at all. It does have a radiator with plastic side tanks that fail with enough heat cycles and the weight wears front suspension bits. Also can have the same issue as e36 m3s on the viscous fan seizing - but there's warning signs and easy fixes.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/22/17 10:08 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

Been away from it for almost 2 years. It's coming back. Something about taking something broken and making it good again with your hands. I may have picked up a new addiction with detailing mothers day weekend. I detailed the crap out of SWMBO car for her for mothers day. (read: pulled seats, shampooed/cleaned them, carpet, etc) She's managed to keep it clean for two weeks which is a new record for her,(like almost spotless) and we both look at the car much differently now. It's no longer a "beater" it's actually a decent car, that happens to be almost 12 years old.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
5/23/17 10:48 a.m.

Do all the manual 7s have LSD?

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/23/17 11:49 a.m.
Ricky Spanish wrote: Do all the 7s have LSD?

Fixed that for you. As many as you find broken I imagine they do.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/23/17 11:54 a.m.

Stopped and looked at it yesterday and it's solid. There's a bit of rust along the bottom edge of the passenger side front door. It seemed to have been well cared for.

I snapped a few pics on my phone. Couldn't start it though since I had very little time and the battery was dead.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/23/17 11:55 a.m.

I rooted through the trunk very thoroughly but failed to locate any LSD.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
5/23/17 9:04 p.m.

I've got one of these. '87 import car with manual cloth seats to go with the manual and the LSD. I intended to make it my daily beater, but not till I either fix the AC, sell my E90 or summer ends.

Being a Euro import isn't too big a deal for these, since it had a world engine.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
5/28/17 11:16 a.m.

Pics:

nile13
nile13 New Reader
6/19/17 11:58 p.m.

I've owned one of those in 2006-2008. Bought for $1,200, sold for $2K. Replaced the leaking water pump around 150 miles. Good car.

There were only 411 5-speed E32s imported into US in '88 and '89, most in '88. Fairly rare car, yes.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
6/20/17 5:20 a.m.

This has the big six not the V8 or V12 so it is the one to have. Even without a trunk badge the grill gives it away. Form a maintenance standpoint this is the way to go.

I like it.

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
6/20/17 5:10 p.m.

In reply to integraguy:

when I had a bmw my mechanic told me 750 parts were insanely expensive even by bmw standards.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AiMywyswCv9lydTcmMjr24cOnm4XZtxF72y0f8LnAyxCzvcTbqEWg46Gb5MVxuhb