White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
7/10/12 6:18 p.m.

My girlfriend just picked up a new daily driver, and is looking to unload her not currently street legal 94 Cavalier RS automatic for cheap. In her words:

I'm mostly sharing this because I'm planning to sell the Cavalier as a parts car. I do not feel confident that it is roadworthy, though I would consider selling it strictly as is if someone is very interested. I'm probably looking for something in the $500 ballpark at best. The plus: It has a clean Mass title. It has around 150,000 miles and a good, solid, reliable engine that has been meticulously maintained until the last 6 months or so. I am the second owner. It's never been in an accident or broken down and left me stranded anywhere, never overheated, it's braved seven Pennsics with zero trouble. It has fully working A/C - I had it overhauled a few years ago, and that's the biggest repair this car has ever needed. The minus: It has a cracked windshield and needs an unknown amount of body work before a new one can go in - paint bubbling around the top of the windshield indicates lurking rust, but how much, no one knows. The driver's side footwell collects water in heavy rain and not only is this super annoying but the car is a bit musty now. The big issue is that the ABS has an electrical problem that causes it to cut out at random moments, particularly after going over a huge bump. This is not cool. I have been told a replacement ABS motor could MAYBE fix this issue, but all in all the level of troubleshooting needed could get quite expensive. (The regular brakes are fine; the ABS fuse cannot simply be pulled because it shares the heater fuse. Sigh.)

I can't afford to do it myself, nor do I have anywhere to keep it, but I'd love to turn this car into a Challenge or Lemons car. My girlfriend is heavily into the SCA (hence the Pennsic reference), and I'd love to "go medieval" on the theme of the Cavalier. It's likely we could get at least a few of our friends to show up in full garb at a race to provide ambiance. Failing that, I'd say it's a 98% good car, but that 2% could cost more to fix than the awesome deal she got on a Corolla.

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
7/10/12 8:50 p.m.

I had I 93 sunbird that did the same thing you can unplug one of the actuators on the module and it will disable the system you just won't have ABS

Caleb
Caleb New Reader
7/11/12 6:21 p.m.

I had the same problem on a 99 sunfire, pull the rear drums off and check for leaks.I had a bad rear brake cylinder that was leaking on the abs sensor causing all kind of issues

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y1YBryoueTfvSJtCZPnUMwvtWk3jaeKccE2J6Y8c1q2BuSnXhh8lcEJzjSH8YBy4