brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Member
3/12/20 2:49 p.m.

Hey there! Long-time automotive nut and GRM reader, first-time poster.

I thought I'd see if there's anyone in the Phoenix metro area (preferably east valley) working with a $2k challenge build. I'd like to be part of a team.

I've built a few motorcycles over the years and have a fair bit of experience wrenching on cars and building things.

I also own and run a small fabrication business (primarily welding and machining). 

Is anyone local interested, or has a $2k build in progress and could use a team member?

Cheers!

--Brandon

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/13/20 1:53 p.m.

What a cool offer! Wish you were near me-most guys would give their left one to have a fabricator/machinist on the team. 

Even if you don't find a crew, come out to the event. I didn't bring a car the first year, but did the parkinglot build and had a lot of fun.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/13/20 7:56 p.m.

It's something I've wanted to do for a bunch of years. I almost certainly wouldn't enter my $500 Thunderbird SC. . . or would I?

But seriously though, I'd love to have a whack at some junk with some other folks locally. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/20 8:00 p.m.

Yeah, way cool. Especially from pheonix, flying in to the challenge would be a huge improvement over driving or towing something!!

Eventually I'd like to get a few people who are serious about parking lot builds and do a re-creation of junkyard wars. Or something like that!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/20 8:48 p.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

I'd strongly encourage you to come once as a spectator - though you'll certainly be given plenty of opportunities to become a participant once you arrive - and be sure to arrive Thursday afternoon(or earlier). There's just so much to see & so many other board members, plus GRM staff to meet, that you really won't want to be tied up trying to figure out what/where everything is, trying to get your car ready, etc. 

Also, having brought a non-competitive car once, it was ok & I'm glad I did it, but I enjoyed the following 2 years way more by just hanging out with everyone & helping when I could. Not that you need to strive for a podium finish, but at least pick a sub-class you think you can do well in. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/13/20 10:18 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

It's something I've wanted to do for a bunch of years. I almost certainly wouldn't enter my $500 Thunderbird SC. . . or would I?

But seriously though, I'd love to have a whack at some junk with some other folks locally. 

SUPER COUPE!!! Heck yeah, bring it...

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
3/14/20 1:19 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I like this idea, how do you plan on seeding the parking lot.

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
3/14/20 1:28 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to brandonsmash :

I'd strongly encourage you to come once as a spectator - though you'll certainly be given plenty of opportunities to become a participant once you arrive - and be sure to arrive Thursday afternoon(or earlier). There's just so much to see & so many other board members, plus GRM staff to meet, that you really won't want to be tied up trying to figure out what/where everything is, trying to get your car ready, etc. 

Also, having brought a non-competitive car once, it was ok & I'm glad I did it, but I enjoyed the following 2 years way more by just hanging out with everyone & helping when I could. Not that you need to strive for a podium finish, but at least pick a sub-class you think you can do well in. 

This is exactly what I did, first year I helped on the parking lot build. Last year was Gastopods class, had  a great time with a high school team. This year we are building a Stampie raffle car. Be prepared though once you start down this path, it is easy to go a little crazy.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/18/20 9:12 p.m.

A parking lot build could be fun, but I'm not so great at overnights. Also, every time I have to build something out in the field I get really irritated that I can't have all of my shop tools with me! 

*Chucks a part in a DeWalt drill and reaches for the 80-grit*

"Goddamit, this would be so much easier if I just had my lathe!"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5usLiXItvCazsVeijfW53na9ljGvr3ZX6XGNyUgM5N4DYMW2nVboNEmJBaIQytwI