Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/22 12:12 p.m.

I'm looking at options for a Chevy small block for the Morris Minor.  

My friend and potential team member has this engine. Pictures are below.

It is a clone of a 1970 LT1 that last ran at least 30 years ago. The block is a 73 four bolt main truck block.

It has era correct 492 part number 64 cc heads. Steel crank, pink rods. 

The cam is a hydraulic flat tappet version of the factory LT1 solid flat tappet. Manifold is an era correct GM four barrel. 11:1 compression, unknown if bored or stock bore. 

I already have a carb, distributor and headers. 

It's going to need to be torn down, cleaned, bearings checked, gaskets replaced. It probably includes a full set of GM gaskets. 

The engine was bought as part of a package deal from someone's hoard, actual cost was a few hundred but it was an inside deal, so we don't know how to budget for it.

That's if we use it, the other option is to get another Vortec 350 from the junkyard, which would be less work, and would allow me to sell the Morris as a running car (he wants to keep the engine). 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/22 12:19 p.m.

I know we've talked about this.  I say go with the Vortec because it gets you with a complete car in the end.  If you go with the above engine then you have to FMV it and deal with putting it in and then pulling it afterwards.  I could maybe fit a Vortec on my trailer when I'm at Michael's in June.  His guy has good ones cheap.

4/30/22 4:08 p.m.
Stampie said:

I know we've talked about this.  I say go with the Vortec because it gets you with a complete car in the end.  If you go with the above engine then you have to FMV it and deal with putting it in and then pulling it afterwards.  I could maybe fit a Vortec on my trailer when I'm at Michael's in June.  His guy has good ones cheap.

I have to agree. You were right then, and you're right now. 

Stampie
4/30/22 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Don't tell my ex.  Pretty sure she'll never believe you.

4/30/22 7:00 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Don't tell my ex.  Pretty sure she'll never believe you.

"You were right and I was wrong!"

A phrase my wife and I will use with great drama. It makes us both laugh.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/22 7:37 p.m.

Vortec by a mile. Best cast iron SBC head plus roller cam plus 1pc rear main seal. Buy an off-brand intake and drop in an HEI with an aggressive advance curve and call it a day. If you're feeling froggy, you can machine valve spring pockets and guides to allow .500+ lift.

Stampie
4/30/22 7:59 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

He actually already has the intake and HEI plus a cam and has researched the valve spring pockets mod.  The engine he took out was a Vortec with a lot of those parts already in budget.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/30/22 8:34 p.m.

Ill start having runion dig

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UegOEMZQYfn52udooRHRinxbH6hcCUn92vmBZyIXk7sOEnF0lEyUwSObCgLDUrTw