maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/20 10:05 a.m.

1. I bought a Challenge car - yay! I have a budget question. Here's the rub. It was advertised publicly to the forum for $900. I accepted. But in negotiations with the seller, I wanted it delivered, so I offered $700 + $200 for delivery. What is my starting budget? Seems like $900 per the rules below, but wanted to make sure. But what if the seller is also my teammate? Hypothetically...

Budget:

Net cost of the Challenge car and the parts on/in/attached to it must be equal to or less than $2000. Your purchase price of the Challenge car cannot exceed $2000. Transactions without receipts must be budgeted at fair market value.

Shipping counts toward parts prices.

2. The Challenge car purchase was also part of a package deal. Included in the $900 (or is it $700?) is another car, whose interior is full of random parts. Let's call it Car B. Inside of Car B, is a racing seat. I am not bringing Car B to the Challenge, but I want to use its racing seat in Car A. Is this allowed and how would I budget it? One price for the "package deal - including Cars A and B?"

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 10:21 a.m.

I am good with $700.  Now the next question to me has a lot of gray area.  I could argue for and against Car A being free or $700 package with Car B.  I do think if you use the race seat from Car B then it should be a package of $700.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 10:33 a.m.

I thought costs to retreive your initial car are exempt, so $700 would be your start.  Because package deal, i would start with the package and sell car B whole or in parts for $700+  to make my start $0.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 10:40 a.m.

Well, this gets a little tricky because I think you want to use car b on a separate challenge build, where separating the transactions would be very helpful. If that's the case I would advise to keep them separate always and just FMV the seat. 

I also thought there was an exemption to "retrieve your car from the seller" costs, but I haven't looked at the rules in the last 20 minutes to verify. 

Edit, meaning I don't think it's cool to lump 2 transactions together as a package deal for build on car A but then come back around and claim separate receipts for the two on build for car B.

The seat really could have been part of either transaction though, as an extra part included with the car. So pick one and be consistent. 

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/20 10:52 a.m.

Car A will eventually be a donor for Car B, so I think they should be a package deal. That was also how the deal was advertised - you must buy Car A and you get Car B for free. So I am thinking my budget for this year, with Car A only, should include Car B and all of its parts, regardless of what I actually bring the to Challenge. I just want to be fair and transparent from the start.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/12/20 11:01 a.m.

Yep, costs of getting the CAR home are exempt. Shipping on parts is not. At least, as of the last time I checked the rules. (As a doof who buys cars from far away and has them brought to me, this is a subject I'm deeply aware of.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kpUIqJ8DpU17N4HfZ78OJsHQizBBorgvXICXQVZQutk7ki0xbMFnMwfjpBQ3TzoZ