1 2 3 4
Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/15/20 5:42 a.m.

In reply to BarryNorman :

Oh no, they are definately fibreglass.

I do have a lexan windsheild already in the budget that us bendy enough for a diffuser if i can make it fit.

The radiator will end up pretty close to the rear axle.

BarryNorman
BarryNorman New Reader
9/15/20 12:16 p.m.

Just thinking that a "challenge car" response to Gordon Murry's new "fan car" might gain extra points with the judges. And from the photo, mounting the radiator to the brackets (at the rear of the frame). The space looks longer and therefore doable. (My understanding is that smaller fans are used to pull air from the backside of the large and steeply racked diffuser)

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/16/20 9:18 p.m.

In reply to BarryNorman :

I doubt I will score well on the concourse anyhow...

They want to see pretty, not FU Im an Ogre and Ogres do not need to be pretty!

But if this comes together it will be brutally fast. To the point I'd be scared to drive it.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/16/20 9:21 p.m.

Scrap freezer panel gave up this alluminum sheeting to be my new dash.

Going to rough it up and paint it with bedliner or something.

Its scratched to hell. Maybe I can find some scratch filling primer and paint it regular.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/17/20 12:24 p.m.

Sounds like a lot of effort for 'it doesnt have to be pretty'. I'd just get it all one color with no runs and call it pretty good! Dash pads need to not be overly reflective anyway so beautiful paint might just hurt your eyes when the sun hits it. The texture of bedliner would certainly beat that problem. 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/17/20 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

Bedliner is heavy though...

And while no efforts will be undertaken to "make things pretty" effort is required to make it not look sloppy and poorly executed.

Extra effort is allowed if it lends to an overall aggressive or menacing aura.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/17/20 2:03 p.m.

Oh... And the only paint allowed is krylon flat black, VHT bright red and BBQ grill paint!

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/18/20 6:36 p.m.

Im working on a plan for an external bypass.

3800s use an under the supercharger intercooler. There arw SS 1 Inchers and FS two jnchers.

The curent idea is to stack a 1 inch and a 2 inch on top of each other.

The one inch will retain its heat exchanger and be attached to the lower intake.

The two incher is a busted unit with no heat echanger. It will be attached to the supercharger side and will make a space for an external bypass to be routed under the supercharger and above the interchiller.

So once full boost is reached the turbo air will go through the throttle body and sidestep the rotors by exiting an exhaust cut out in the superchargers elbow and be routed under the supercharger.

Hope that makes sence.

Im debating if I should cut into the area marked in blue or red.

Blue would be easiest but it interfears with the EGR... Guess I dont need EGR anyhow. But red would be a lot less machine work.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/18/20 10:59 p.m.

Do these 3800s not come built in with an internal diverter valve? something like what the m112 has on the side with a diaphragm and a lever which routes the air through a channel behind the rotors vs through them.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/19/20 12:38 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 : Yes, but its quite small.

Usssually in a twin charged build they use the stock bypass. But it wont let 600 HP worth of air through so some ends up being compressed by the rotors.

This causes parasitic HP loss and some unpredictability in IATs that makes cooling and tuning dificult.

im addition running an under supercharger. Intercooler is either extra difficult or ineffective.

The bypasa is right over the flat part of the cooler plate marked in blue. Running into that flat surface and making an immediate turn causes flow and restriction problems.

You can machine it to be open to the lower intake, but then the air that flows through the bypass dose not go through the cooler.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Its a more complicated thing than people realise and ive been reserching/planning my external bypass for a month

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/19/20 7:25 a.m.

For simplicity sake, it almost seems advantageous to run a standard BOV vs route the air back into the lower intake. Unless you want to see that diverted air, i guess if you want to prevent a lean/rich spike on decel i can underatand, but i dont think it would hurt anything. 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/19/20 4:07 p.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

A BOV would get rid of the air.

i don't want to get rid of it, i just don't want it to go through the supercharger.

The supercharger will be used to get off the line and to spool up the massive turbo, then it will be bypassed and the turbo air will go through the TB and then through the bypass to the underside of the supercharger to avoid the heat and pressure spike caused by the rotors compressing the air a second time.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/19/20 4:42 p.m.

Ah i see. 

Compound boost is cool, but much more complex than anything i want to be involved in. 

thats a tricky situation. I wonder what rotor speed is at peak boost.  

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/19/20 8:19 p.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

22000 rpm or so... But I'm not compounding.

Only using one compresor at a time.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
9/29/20 11:58 a.m.

Big weekend. Though i went as far back as forward.

Drove 5 hours each way to get a bunch of parts.

Fuel rails. SFI approved balancer and 8 rib pullies, electric water pump. And some odds and ends. Got most of it installed.

Moddified the empty intercooler casing as a plenum spacer to help my bypass and raise up the supercharger.

I dont like how the fuel pressure regulator sits so close to the turbo and I need to modify tje rails to sit on the other side.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
10/14/20 10:26 p.m.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/14/20 10:28 p.m.

Excited to see this in person

Crazier
Crazier Reader
10/17/20 8:38 p.m.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
11/6/20 5:52 p.m.

Kbags
Kbags New Reader
11/8/20 5:36 a.m.

Man this thing is crazy can't wait to see this 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/2/20 9:17 p.m.

Swaping  out for a mega squirt 3 system.

This is a bad idea! Its going to be a much more complex instal.

But being I missed 2020 there is no rush.

Can I still make budget? Maybe!

I made some real good deals in the last few months, made some changes based upon those deals (including the MS)

Once again I have taken two steps back when I was close to the end... But, hopefully the results are worth it.

Now i just need to find a megasquirt guy.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6mzylASG7lw0A37zrUgAlTMdiHZikR7c6rr0dvJEhPhVwD3pNnmgMvGfbzsch4uk