Sonolin
Sonolin New Reader
9/23/20 3:22 p.m.

I have never participated in a race before (I have done multiple HPDEs), but I'm currently considering trying to participate in this year's $2000 challenge. Just for fun, not trying to be competitive. The trouble is - I don't have a(n eligible) car!

I thought for sure it was too late for me, but after checking out the rules - https://2000challenge.com/rules - it looks to me like a roll cage/bar is not required for the challenge. In other words, can I just buy a <$2020 car and just run it??

Any recommendations (beyond the car)? I will definitely be looking into safety gear (fire extinguisher and possibly a roll bar at least), and some extra tires. Anything else I might need/should bring that would count towards the $2020 budget? I do have a helmet, impact wrench, and basic tools.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/23/20 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Sonolin :

You would not be the first to fly in and hit craigslist for an entry. They usually end up looking like a Miata or a tired Lexus. Bring a helmet. Since tires are not a budget item, have a set of sticky tires shipped to a local shop to have mounted for the event. Locate scrapyard  ahead of time as an exit strategy.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/23/20 3:43 p.m.

That's correct, you can enter a stock car without any issues as long as it isn't particularly fast (read the rules for details).

Sonolin
Sonolin New Reader
9/23/20 3:48 p.m.

LOL "Locate scrapyard  ahead of time as an exit strategy". I am hoping to keep/gift the car afterwards. But this does make me feel a little less crazy haha xD

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/23/20 4:20 p.m.

Last year's last minute winner owned his car for something like 72 hours. Bought it on the way to Florida, had it sold before it made it's first drag pass. 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/20 4:37 p.m.

Why has no one pointed out that the budget is actually $2000 and not $2020.  I'm disappointed in you guys.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/23/20 8:26 p.m.

Also, where would you be traveling from? We're quite a talented group when it comes to enabling with regards to locating potential purchases. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/24/20 9:09 a.m.

Considering ive seen people come to the event with no car, buy one and sell it within a few days and go home, you have plenty of time lol.

Sonolin
Sonolin New Reader
9/24/20 5:31 p.m.

Good to know there is still plenty of time. I'm actually still on the fence about things, since I don't really want to blow a lot of money & not be able to keep the car afterwards. I'll keep an eye out & if it something comes up and looks like a good deal I'll be there. I wish there were more manual cars in the $500-1000 range (other than crapbox Kias or something) since I don't anticipate winning the event, and that would really lower the costs.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/24/20 5:46 p.m.

Set your CL/FB searches to Infiniti Q45  and Lincoln Mark 8.  Each will return solid combined results.  

I don't know where you're located but I searched FB for 250 miles around Gainesville for Q45 and Mark8 but did find this quickly.

Infiniti J30, same chassis as Nissan 300zx. Not turbo but still fun and generally forgotten so overlooked by shoppers.  

M45 in Jax which is the V8!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UHXn9uGYRYzJ77SJ0Czf1RIL3MWYSeT1aPlB7g7bRvqjqcmVMzzMsObLYaDZrrS0