TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
6/9/21 8:00 p.m.

How does it work? I have 0 receipts but my real budget I've spent on the car right now is $520.

Long story short, but also long... I got two firebirds to make one, did a ton of work and then found a good one for far less than I could ever dream of building on my own. Two years of waiting and searching but it just popped up and I jumped at it.
One of the firebirds (the green one) was a total rust bucket so I parted it out, got all my money back and got some sweet parts. The other sat while adult things happened and found the deal of over two years. Sold it for what I had in it and kept more parts. Some facebook marketplace trading back and forth and I end up with a TH400 w/ some small converter + a slap shifter and Ford 9" with 4.xx gears, spooled etc.
Then I missed my old turbo 940 volvo and bought a $500 240 that just needs a ~$20 relay to work

This leaves a terminator X, motor mounts, scrap metal and my booger welding to have a LS volvo for challenge money. or less, depending on how creatively frugal i can get.
I dont think my part outs are within the 'rules' and FMV would certainly blow the budget. If I dont care about winning anything and just want to see how I'll do, whats the scoop?

Thanks in advance

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/9/21 8:52 p.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

Honestly, dunno! Good on you for being up-front about it instead of trying to skirt the rules.

Why not email Tom directly and ask him? His contact info is at the bottom of the page:

https://2000challenge.com/rules 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/9/21 10:50 p.m.

Do you have any parts that were originally on, as in physically attached that did not come in boxes with, The original two Firebirds that you could put into the third one that you'd actually be running?

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
6/10/21 10:48 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

ill probably do that when the car is looking more like a competitor than where it is now

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
6/10/21 10:52 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I bought the 3rd for $7500
If anything were to happen I dont think I could find a replacement for less than $10-12k. The cheap ones keep getting bought up, expensive standard TA's staying sorta kinda the same. If anything were to happen to this one I'd be heartbroken since it'll be awhile until I could afford another one if Hagerty decided to not pay it for any reason.

The exhibition challenge car is a $511 total investment as of now. Relay was cheaper than I thought.
1987 Volvo 240

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/21 9:50 a.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

Since you can document the Volvo why not get a junkyard LS and have a documented legit Challenge car?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
6/11/21 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Sounds like he exceeded the recoup allowances to make his real budget $520.

Example purchased $10,000 car sold $9480 worth of parts. Personal budget hit $520. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/11/21 10:39 a.m.

Sorry, but I don't really understand the question.

Are you asking if you can bring a $500 Volvo for exhibition because you don't have receipts? If so, email me some photos and details directly for an official approval into exhibition class, but I wouldn't have a problem letting that in. Sounds like a cool car. My email is tom@ this website.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
6/11/21 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampies : because the benefits of a termi-x is what i really want and the grassroots competition is an after thought at this point. longer term, and probably just after this should i do it, its gonna get a $500 ebay turbo.
i noticed that my real budget of fitting an LS into the car would be under $2000 but just barely and figured 'what the hell, why not?'

$511 running 240 Volvo
$1k Termi-x
$170 LS swap motor mounts
other parts
$200 driveshaft shop work
'free' by way of part outs TH400, converter, slap shifter, etc
$1881 cost known 
I'm sure i'll probably burn through the last $140 with coolant hoses and other tiny odds and ends. It'll be fun to see what the real cost is at the end.

I have to get the daily's perfect and my classic up before i put a car down to build it. I'm at 7 cars, soon to be 6 (selling Lincoln LS. great car but doesn't fit a need/want that we have.)

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Sorta, idk if part outs for/from another car for a different project can be used for this one. Without receipts. I'm terrible at explaining things.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Yes, lol damn I'm a potato. I'll email you when/if it happens, until I start fitting the LS into the car, this is all conjecture. Thanks for reaching out!

Barb_Dwyer
Barb_Dwyer New Reader
7/26/21 1:56 p.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

In order to actually use the third Firebird that you would be using, you would like to use original parts that came with the two original ones that you have, such as attachments. If the third Firebird needs any parts from the original two you can use them?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PM8s4U9LxyQoATeyleYkMCUM75Vsb0oNZSmSgfkaypqmzCT7QeVktPzw7pznWmwc