1 ... 4 5 6
OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/22 8:22 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Don't forget veteran. I believe Navy + Vietnam 

Dang it. He doesn't mention that as frequently in conversations - but big oversight. My bad. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
4/17/22 8:46 a.m.
NY Nick said:

Do you think the Suddards look at threads like this and think I built utopia for you and this is how it's treated?

Just saying. 5 pages of total bull E36 M3. 

I just sent a little of my morning tea out my nostrils.

Margie

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
4/17/22 9:17 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

Don't forget veteran. I believe Navy + Vietnam 

^^^ as a pilot on an aircraft carrier IIRC, and might as well include boating and orchard tending to the list.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/17/22 9:35 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

It's a weird guilty pleasure reading Frenchy discussions. You can count on Lots of repetition - and rarely will somebody change his mind. Not much gets accomplished in these discussions. 

But I do like that more and more people over the years have decided to stop trolling and started encouraging. I really want to see a completed car that runs and drives at this point. Will it be a pile of E36 M3 or will it be amazing? Who knows but after all the layers of the onion are peeled back - and assisted significantly by frenchy figuring out how to post pictures - the story continues to get more and more compelling. He may be the most misunderstood guy in the history of this place.

I still contend the life and history of Frenchy would make a really fascinating story for the magazine(s). Same for a lot of other members of this discussion board.

Keep going, frustrated school bus driving jaguar loving junk collecting blackjack special racing retirement savings losing hardwood lumber milling pickup truck abusing lakefront property appreciating salesman from Minnesota. 

Thank you so very much for posting that. I'm glad you get me.  If we ever meet in person please introduce yourself and I'll let you drive whatever ever race car is there. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/17/22 9:40 a.m.
Indy - Guy said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Wow.  That is insane...  ... ...

Yes.

Your "these parts are just junk" is WAY out of line with reality.

They might've been just junk years ago, but now, they bring REAL money.  Way more than scrap.

I want you to use your left over parts to build the fiberglass body XKE, I really and truly do.

Are you still in contact with any of the guys you bought one of your " $300 parts Jags " from?  If you are, get a hold of them and have them sign a receipt for the car they sold you.  Boom you are legal to use the parts off that car for the claimed $300.  You can self trade equivalent parts so you should be good, if they are all similar.  So what you bought them 10 or 15 years ago, the Nelson (who you keep refering too) hold onto their good buys for that long too.

No matter what, just build the car.  Build it your way. 

As you already know, that will be a much better use of the parts than your heirs  TRULY selling them for scrap after you pass.

Thanks for showing me I was wrong.  Seriously,  since I don't go looking for things to buy I had no idea those parts were so valuable.  
All I could see was stuff that if I didn't use would wind up in the dumpster when I passed. 
 If we ever meet in person you'll be welcome to drive the car.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/17/22 10:00 a.m.
Stampie said:

If I propose a value of $10k on this lot and 4 others agree would that end this discussion?

If that is serious. Please bring cash. I'll empty my garage of all my Jaguar stuff except what is going into my XJS.  Stampie.

I'm seriously trying very hard to play by the rules.  I think it would be fun to build a racing XKE  and meet the $2000 documented  challenge. 
  Why does that bring such nasty ness out?   
  It can't be because they are so fast. The magazine said that a modern Minivan would lap faster. Nor can it be because it would be so valuable.  A car made from bitsa?   That can't have much value. What do other completed challenge cars sell for?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/17/22 10:09 a.m.
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I like your idea. 

Honestly, I think it's a bit of a pain in the butt to do a full blown budget per the GRM rules. You could spend a LOT of energy fighting things that don't make a lot of sense to you, and create a lot of aggravation. 

If I was you, with the experience you have and the parts you have, wanting to do this, do it YOUR way. The new rules now allow it without a budget. You will find the budget process difficult and annoying. 

I'd build it, bring it, make a big poster showing the breakdown of the costs, stand next to it and make friends with every single guy who starts to talk with you about it and drool over your car. 

Don't worry about the budget or the judging. It's a huge amount of work with very little reward. 

But your car will be appreciated. 

You make a lot of sense. Thank you very sincerely.  I am not an accountant.  Even if I had documented receipts for everything.  ( not too hard to fake)  there will be grumbling and complaints. Wise  guy  attempts to buy it forgetting the value of the time it takes a skilled builder to make. 
  My offer to drive the car extends to you too if we ever meet. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/17/22 12:31 p.m.
frenchyd said:
OHSCrifle said:

It's a weird guilty pleasure reading Frenchy discussions. You can count on Lots of repetition - and rarely will somebody change his mind. Not much gets accomplished in these discussions. 

But I do like that more and more people over the years have decided to stop trolling and started encouraging. I really want to see a completed car that runs and drives at this point. Will it be a pile of E36 M3 or will it be amazing? Who knows but after all the layers of the onion are peeled back - and assisted significantly by frenchy figuring out how to post pictures - the story continues to get more and more compelling. He may be the most misunderstood guy in the history of this place.

I still contend the life and history of Frenchy would make a really fascinating story for the magazine(s). Same for a lot of other members of this discussion board.

Keep going, frustrated school bus driving jaguar loving junk collecting blackjack special racing retirement savings losing hardwood lumber milling pickup truck abusing lakefront property appreciating salesman from Minnesota. 

Thank you so very much for posting that. I'm glad you get me.  If we ever meet in person please introduce yourself and I'll let you drive whatever ever race car is there. 

You're very welcome and thank you too. You share in here like a stream of consciousness - so the signal to noise ratio is hard to see through but I appreciate your passion.

Regarding driving a completed race car - it would be my pleasure.. up until I crashed. So instead I would be plenty satisfied just to see it and sit (but likely not fit) inside making V12 noises. 

Git-r-done!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/22 3:05 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Read the rules, build it to the rules, come to the Challenge. If you're to the rules then great. If not I'm not going to discuss rules until you show because I've already given you to much of my life. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/22 3:21 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You have xke rear setups or are yours xjs?

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/17/22 5:34 p.m.
frenchyd said:
gumby said:
frenchyd said:

PS if you're too generous I'll gladly sell it to you 

Nobody skipped reading anything

Please go back and read 2 things.  
 I've said I'm going the undocumented route.  
   And the full text was if offers are too generous in their evaluation's  I'll sell it  

So far none of the offers have been too generous.    

You always pretend that people accuse YOU of (pick whatever here) when it is almost always you. You don't read responses and you jumble responses up and claim folks said stuff they did not. You change what you say and make up various "facts" to support it, and add in completely irrelevant stuff. Is anyone disagrees with ANYTHING you write, you get insulting and argumentative. 
ALL of the offers made, ave been for HUNDREDS of dollars MORE than you claim the entire pile is worth, yet you act insulted, because you know their worth more. Then, after changing your plan to "undocumented " (which isn't even the name of the class) you act like the value doesn't matter, but are still arguing value. 
Yes, you have, as many have said, a lot of cool history. But 90% of the time, on here, your posts are from a condescending, childish jerk. Stick to posting updates to a great build, and everyone would love ya!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/17/22 5:40 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter

Beeep beeep beeep 

Hey, I'll repeat what I said earlier. Several times. I'm going the undocumented route.  

But you say one thing, then follow it with a bunch of bla, bla, bla, then say different, follow that with bl, bla, bla, go back to the first, ad something else...

And go back to :

y'all need to read, I'll repeat again"

repeat which one of the 27 things are we supposed to believe? 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/17/22 5:50 p.m.
frenchyd said:
  I think it would be fun to build a racing XKE  and meet the $2000 documented  challenge. 

Why does that bring such nasty ness out?   

Because you get so incredibly argumentative and nasty about it all. 
The reality is, you know you can't build it to the 2000 budget. No one thinks you can build it to 2000 budget. Everyone wants to see you build it and race it. 
But that's not good enough for you.  You want the rules to be changed, so you can pretend you built it to the intent of the rules. And get insulting to folks that try to help, or point out why that won't work.  In case you were not aware, most folks do not like being insulted. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/17/22 6:11 p.m.
SV reX said:
frenchyd said:
SV reX said:

In reply to frenchyd :

The rules say if production frame rails are used it is legal. The car was a shortened P71 chassis (if I remember correctly). 

A full tube frame would be an exception. 

I refer to the 3rd paragraph of the eligibility rule. If tube frame is used Body must be substantially similar. 

Frenchyd, you may have won this round. 

I looked harder at that paragraph in the rules. I thought I was very familiar with it (and so did Stampie and others). After re-reading it several times, I think you are right. A fiberglass body on a tube frame appears to me to meet that rule completely. 

I would definitely double check and get approval from Tom before assuming. 

It was said a lot of posts ago, that a tube chassis, with a fiberglass reproduction of a production vehicle, did meet the rules. 
But instead of being ok with that rule, he continued to argue about , well, I didn't understand about what. argued about the Bradley body on a ford, even though that's the opposite of what he wants. 
Brad is a crappy fiberglass completely modified body set on a 03 Panther chassis shortened and narrowed around the perimeter. P71 is the cop Panther... this was Merc, not p71, but same. 
Not what frenchyd wants to do... only brought up to confuse an argument, that had already been answered in his favor!!!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/17/22 6:24 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Is this the for sale site?  
    Again I'm going the undocumented route. 
  The whole  purpose of a  $2000 limit is to limit the money spent on go faster parts. Not to argue the value of tailites 

you offers to sell parts, if it was worth more to them, than to you. And made multiple reverences to it all being junk, and only worth scrap. So yea, you made it a sale site. Except it's only worthless, for you to use. If you sell it, hundreds of dollars over scrap price isn't enough? And you wonder why folks are tired of you?

If you are adamant about "undocumented " why do you keep arguing about 2000 budget?

Everything you say about 2000 budget, shows you don't understand the concept. But you want to make statement on the intent of the 2000 budget?

Build a cool race car, and have a TON of fun. Do that instead of being argumentative, and folks here will have a TON of fun with you!!!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/22 6:31 p.m.

Guys let's maybe take a breather on this one for a bit?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/17/22 6:34 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I'm sorry you don't read all of it. ( not that I blame anyone for not reading it all).  
 But reasonable people asked the question and it made sense. I agreed with them.  ( is that unusual?)  Why bother with documentation.  
 Then when someone showed me how expensive those parts are selling for frankly I was shocked. I can't believe it.   I mean I'm not doubting the adds or anything but wow!   
  Things I was frequently thinking of just tossing in the trash piece by piece are now worth that much?
   I never meant to go on the fair market value site and treat it like a for sale site.  Blame those who instead of saying that is too low and this is why for that. Not me. 
  Let me make a final statement. If someone wants to pay that much for that stuff, just bring cash. I'll help you load it.  But you're foolish. 
     I'll still build my faux XKE.   It's still easy to buy junk Jaguars cheap.  It's not that complicated to make a XJS rear end work on an XKE.  I don't know if Moss Motors has the dog bones or splines anymore. But even if they don't It's not that hard.  

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/17/22 6:50 p.m.

I do read it all. I would not be as specific as I am in my responses, as I believe in being precise. 
Yes, your discription is close to the way it happened, but not quite. 
I know that's the way you want to remember it, but since it's not, arguing with people, and telling them that they are the ones that don't read, is being argumentative. You were told your body on a tube chassis meets the rules pages ago. You were also asked to build it and run it in the exhibition class, pages ago. If you decided to do that pages ago, you could have stopped arguing about it. But, alas, didn't. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/17/22 6:53 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

You win.  I've stopped arguing.   But I reserve my right to comment. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/22 8:06 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I just want to point out that one person without quoting the rules said his body on a tube chassic meets the rules.  It does NOT in fact meet the rules.  I quoted the rules and showed that it fails all three points of a production body.  Just so that someone doesn't get confused.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
4/18/22 8:24 a.m.

Looks to me like several people are arguing over arguing. 

This car isn't even under construction, and Frenchy has said he would be building without a budget. 

Let's work on encouraging what CAN be built instead of arguing about what can't. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/18/22 10:57 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Couldn't agree more.   Thank you.  Let's get a few more garage projects running for the challenge.  Even if like me you're going to go undocumented. ( the easy route) 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/18/22 11:10 a.m.
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/30/22 2:53 p.m.

I'm sitting in my late mother-in-laws  House as the family goes through trying to dispose of a lifetime of things.   
     Most things are going to Goodwill  or trash while only a few are being removed.  

I'm going to try to deal with all of my things prior to the long dirt nap.  

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GqzIeQO7VcrmhmvddoUGq4REZJoUinUWJHf9iepfgsdsG9bVMWtOf3uRhabMi1pO