1 2 3 4
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/2/22 6:49 p.m.

Each under budget class gets an overall trophy, one of which will also be the overall win (likely GTU$). 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 6:51 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

No more half-budget class? :(

Tom ... Tom ... say it isn't so.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Nexen and Otshu would like to have a word with Uniroyal

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
2/2/22 6:57 p.m.

Final question, will over budget have a separate write up in the magazine or are they just for fun? 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/2/22 7:04 p.m.

In reply to cruisermatt :

There is strong potential I will run the LMP360 in GTN$

Not a complaint but would the name of the Top class make more sense as Unlimited Tire.  So UT?   That way "Street" tires are Great and "Race" tires (Rcomps, Slicks, Drag Tires) are Unlimited?

Again not a complaint do what you think is easier to market/fits the magazines needs.  

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 7:05 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

Final question, will over budget have a separate write up in the magazine or are they just for fun? 

No guarantee they'll receive ink, but interesting entries will indeed be written about. The answer is "it depends."

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/2/22 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

You said "win separate trophies, prizes and TIRES"..............did you garner a tire sponsor for the event?

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 7:06 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Let's just say we have something promising on the rack. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
2/2/22 7:11 p.m.

no matter what I am looking forward to our groups third year at the event and hopefully the new class system brings more entries as intended smiley

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 7:11 p.m.
Stampie said:
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

No more half-budget class? :(

Tom ... Tom ... say it isn't so.

As long as you all register ASAP I guess I could find a half-budget trophy for you....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 7:12 p.m.

You can sit it beside my overall trophy. 

Long Distance award used to be for challenge cars driven to the event. Has this officially changed to Longest Tow?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/2/22 7:15 p.m.

Prizes aside, I quite like what this rules shuffle does to the decision process. Example, I was able to tie for second in autocross with a Miata on well used SM7s and Chinese springs. Today I would reconsider and likely go with 245 DOT tires on wider wheels and beef up the suspension. I would absolutely skip the drag slicks on that I had on that car. This introduces a neat new wrinkle to the whole event. Well done, Tom.

You could theoretically saw the trophy in half as well, and then use the right half and left half to get two years out of it.

Cooter
Cooter PowerDork
2/2/22 8:21 p.m.

Or tops and bottoms.

I'll see myself out.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/22 8:49 p.m.

GTN$ here I come.  I'm still not gonna win, but it'll be fun.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 11:14 p.m.

I love the new options. I find them inclusive while also allowing some specialization for competitors to target. I have one request for the 200tw class(es), and that centers around competitors with 13 inch diameter wheels. 

Unless I am mistaken, there are no 200tw options for 13 inch wheels. There are however, R888r's in three 13inch sizes - which can fit anywhere from 5 inch wide to 8.5 inch wide wheels. R888r's do not meet the 200tw rating, but they would seem to meet the spirit of the rule. Below, according to GRM:

Could we consider an exception specifically for 13 inch tires? I don't want to over complicate, but 13s really get boned in a 200tw world. 

Full disclosure: This likely affects me. I have a current project that I had in the back of my mind for a challenge appearance. It happened to win SCCA solo nationals 30 years ago, and came with sweet 13 inch wheels, but let's be honest, it probably isn't going to win any drag races.  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/red-national-champ-x19-autocrosser-gets-another-shot/185311/page1/

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 12:01 a.m.

Is the over budget like truly unlimited? So a UTC car can come play as a measuring stick? That's awesome!

That also really makes me consider doing a special remote build with a fly and drive...

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
2/3/22 6:16 a.m.

We could saw one of my donor cars in half and give the halves to Stampie as the half budget trophy. wink

Also I like this, seems like a solid compromise to keep most people's builds eligible and hopefully still encourage new street-tire entries.

I still hope to find some wheels to hold used spec miata slicks but if I can't, 200tw it is then. devil

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 7:46 a.m.

Tbh the change for me means I don't need to bother pinching pennies, and when I am in a financial position to come back and play with my friends I can just bring whatever.  For me personally, it'll lead to more cars I want to own getting finished, but also less creativity with repurposed materials.  I can say with certainty that if this is the rule going forward I'll never purposely build another $2000 ruleset car.  But I also have nothing to prove, btdt, etc.

looking forward to see what turnout does this year 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
2/3/22 9:06 a.m.

So I have a place to officially play with the Zoomboni this time, cool.  If the Fiero isn't done I'll have options at least.

When do we start the smack talk thread?

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/22 9:21 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I love the new options. I find them inclusive while also allowing some specialization for competitors to target. I have one request for the 200tw class(es), and that centers around competitors with 13 inch diameter wheels. 

Unless I am mistaken, there are no 200tw options for 13 inch wheels. There are however, R888r's in three 13inch sizes - which can fit anywhere from 5 inch wide to 8.5 inch wide wheels. R888r's do not meet the 200tw rating, but they would seem to meet the spirit of the rule. Below, according to GRM:

Could we consider an exception specifically for 13 inch tires? I don't want to over complicate, but 13s really get boned in a 200tw world. 

Full disclosure: This likely affects me. I have a current project that I had in the back of my mind for a challenge appearance. It happened to win SCCA solo nationals 30 years ago, and came with sweet 13 inch wheels, but let's be honest, it probably isn't going to win any drag races.  https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/red-national-champ-x19-autocrosser-gets-another-shot/185311/page1/

I am in the same boat and would support this fully. I also understand that it opens up the door to more exceptions and rule complication.

Tom Suddard
2/3/22 9:40 a.m.

Sorry, but for now 200tw means 200tw. I don't need to further complicate things, or explain to less knowledgeable attendees why "Robbie gets to cheat but I have to run these legal tires!"

Tom Suddard
2/3/22 10:14 a.m.

And just like that, registration is officially open:

http://msreg.com/2000challenge

Also new for this year: Number selection! You'll pick your number during registration, so register early to get the good picks.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
2/3/22 10:29 a.m.

yes registered, now I just need to call Andrew to have him build my car for me. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k3ecN4gY2HvMOMlVOP2TeZfMAgvrnrp9unLiJsNur6B55ddlz7Y7zesgNj1M2kJ4