1 2 3 4
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/3/22 10:34 a.m.

Thanks! And congrats on being the first one to register!

Tom Suddard
2/3/22 10:36 a.m.
Javelin said:

Is the over budget like truly unlimited? So a UTC car can come play as a measuring stick? That's awesome!

That also really makes me consider doing a special remote build with a fly and drive...

Correct. I'd love to see an IMSA team show up and lose.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/3/22 11:18 a.m.

Thank you Tom for finding a way to keep the current, proven Challenge rules intact while also opening up the event to more entrants. Looking forward to this year's Challenge.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 11:48 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:
Javelin said:

Is the over budget like truly unlimited? So a UTC car can come play as a measuring stick? That's awesome!

That also really makes me consider doing a special remote build with a fly and drive...

Correct. I'd love to see an IMSA team show up and lose.

Honestly y'all should try and get a couple of ringers just for the publicity. Maybe the Optima USC winner, the LSFest winner, an SCCA Solo National Championship winning car, whatever.

I for one am excited to see what the regulars can do with a little more budget and how that falls. Could you imagine the Nelsons with $3000? 

bigben
bigben Reader
2/3/22 11:58 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I've always thought it would be great to have a national champ XP or a modified car run the course as a benchmark to put things in perspective.

I was thinking we throw down the gauntlet to Ken Block's Hoonigans to try to build a wild car in budget. They could also bring one of their other cars for fun. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
2/3/22 1:49 p.m.

I think this is great. Now my back up car is my drag car which is way over budegt and probably my only chance of beating the Nelson's lol. 

Plus i bet this is great to increase attendance. In addition to the cool budget cars you see, i anticipate some pretty sweet cars showing up. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/3/22 3:19 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Long Distance award used to be for challenge cars driven to the event. Has this officially changed to Longest Tow?

Inquiring minds...

Tom Suddard
2/3/22 3:25 p.m.

We're not planning on awarding a longest drive/tow trophy at this point.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 4:17 p.m.

I like how Tom says we need more entries and everyone follows up with cool my back up car plan just became easier.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
2/3/22 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I think the rule changes accomplish both lol

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
2/3/22 11:32 p.m.

Edit because I can't read very too well. 

great solution to the discussion and concerns

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/4/22 7:05 a.m.

This seems like a really good approach. 

We'll find the loopholes. (Lol)

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/22 4:33 p.m.

Fiata is booked. Hoping for GTN$ but happy to have a back-up class!

Toot
Toot New Reader
2/6/22 5:13 p.m.

Who are the sponsors for this years event?  Any tire manufacturers?

In reply to Toot :

Tire Rack, so a tire distributor as opposed to a tire manufacturer. I'm of the opinion that this is optimal. 

Also as there is a tire distributor sponsoring the event, I will NOT be importing specific rubber if it's primary use is going to be for the event. It would be poor form and stepping on the toes of supporters and organizers to do so. 

Toot
Toot New Reader
2/6/22 7:57 p.m.

This makes it easy for tire selection options.  I plan on ordering all my tires from them this year.  If there willing to sponsor us then they will get all my business.  

maschinenbau
2/7/22 11:16 a.m.

If I don't get the Lotus running in time this year, I could just drive down in my stock ND2 Miata. Perfect yardstick for GTN. 

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/2/22 8:20 a.m.

Since over-budget entries will not be a part of the concours, will the scoring in those classes be purely the dynamic score?

Tom Suddard
3/2/22 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

Correct. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
3/2/22 1:30 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) :

Correct. 

Cries quietly in "was just a year ahead of my time".  wink

Guess I just need to back it up this year. angel

In reply to KyAllroad :

I mean the trip is worth it for the tire deals laugh

bigben
bigben Reader
3/2/22 10:21 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to KyAllroad :

I mean the trip is worth it for the tire deals laugh

There are tire deals? What tire deals? Did I miss something?cool

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
3/3/22 1:32 a.m.

In reply to bigben :

At the hotel lot party and love-in a dude showed up with a set of Miata sized RT-660's and I bought them for......less than retail.  
Maybe this year with the camping situation things will have a bit more "swap meet" atmosphere and more deals will occur.

maschinenbau
3/4/22 8:09 a.m.

Question I know we're all thinking - why "Great" tire class? Seems redundant if all 6 classes have "great" in their name. Also makes it weird to explain to non-GRMers (well, weirder than the Challenge already is to explain). 

Tom Suddard
3/4/22 8:17 a.m.

Because building GTU cars is cool! And it's a subtle hint of what the Challenge is aimed at.

Also because we wanted class to be obvious over all radio calls and PA announcements. Having a starting phrase identical for every class makes it easier to understand multiple speakers over a bad connection. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kk0DJyenk8Igy1OUakdNDn4H9AaBIcp1hKTaQNmnB8eNQpr6M8WQnQCQmt5QHC4G