Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/23 2:38 p.m.

Ok, this is a thread some of us talked about at the challenge and I am starting it here. Hopefully we can all take a deep breath and pause for a moment on rules debates - and focus on what really matters. Which of course is building sweet cars on a budget. 

In order to build a sweet car on a budget, you need to be able to source cheap and readily available parts. The point of this thread is to build a 'dictionary' of parts that are likely to be available at any local FLAPS and yet would also be very useful on a custom build. This saves money on custom racecar part buying, but it also makes for much easier replacement sourcing while out on the road. For example, nocones lost a fuel pump while at the FIRM recently. On the way home from lunch, he purchased a replacement from an F150 at the local FLAPS and was back up and running in minutes. 

Here are some ideas. please fill in your own! Try to list application and why you like it as a racecar part. 

1987-1995 dodge grand caravan fuel filter - high pressure filter with rubber hose barb ends and a perfect one-hole integrated bracket (also they're like $2 on rockauto). 

Part image

for fuel pumps there is the 1985-1989 F150 (and many others) high pressure external fuel pump:

Part image

If you need a bigger hose on the intake side of the fuel pump, there is the 1983-1990 crown vic style:

Part image

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/23 2:45 p.m.

The last F150 pump I bought (Almost always in stock at every FLAPS across America) came with both fitting sizes for the Vic and F150. 

I am using these on both the LMP360 and MG.  I got 6 years out of the MG one and swapped it at the FIRM because it had a stumbe at high RPM (Which was fixed by a new pump).  

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/6/23 2:47 p.m.

If you are cobbling together a fuel system  there are a wide variety of GM fuel filters that have an internal fuel pressure regulator built in with a return outlet. Think Corvette first, Saturn has them too, etc. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/23 2:48 p.m.

EFI Fuel pressure regulator/filter. Regulated at 58 psi. Perfect for stuffing an LS into just about anything. GM used them in the C5 and I assume other cars. You can buy them for prices ranging from $20 to $100 depending on what type of fittings you want to use. Amazon has them. 

Product main large

Toyman!
6/6/23 2:50 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

If you are cobbling together a fuel system  there are a wide variety of GM fuel filters that have an internal fuel pressure regulator built in with a return outlet. Think Corvette first, Saturn has them too, etc. 

Tree'd by MrJoshua. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/6/23 2:57 p.m.

looks like what might be best for that is 1998-2001 saturn or 2000-2003 s10 fuel filters. The male quick disconnects are not ideal for connecting rubber fuel hose to, but workable. The corvette one looks like it has a female quick disconnect in it that is even less ideal for cobbling a fuel system. 

Part image

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
6/6/23 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Brilliant minds!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/6/23 3:06 p.m.

88-91 Prelude DOHC air filter. For when you want an OEM quality filter that fits universal 3" intake hose.

GM remote mount 3 bar MAP sensor P/N 12223861 for 1989 Firebird Turbo V6. Friendly with all standalone ECU's for your budget turbo build.

In that same vein, the Ford 2-wire idle air control valve. It just works.

Walker 45431 exhaust pipe for 94-95 C1500 5.7L V8. Cheaper than buying individual 3" mandrel bends.

Toyman!
6/6/23 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

The female is threaded. For everything else, I used a relatively cheap fuel line kit to go with it that came with the assorted connectors. I was building a Lemons car though so I didn't have to budget every penny. It made for a professional looking install which made tech a breeze. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/6/23 3:43 p.m.

Y'all got my favorites already!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
6/7/23 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Part number for the fuel line kit?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/7/23 2:47 p.m.

Anyone have something like an external electric water pump? Electrical stuff like coils, switches, or relays (maybe already standard enough)? Pressure or temp sensors that can be made into gauges or dummy lights? Hydraulic stuff like clutch master cylinder with divorced reservoir?

Toyman!
6/7/23 2:53 p.m.
Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
6/7/23 6:35 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Anyone have something like an external electric water pump? Electrical stuff like coils, switches, or relays (maybe already standard enough)? Pressure or temp sensors that can be made into gauges or dummy lights? Hydraulic stuff like clutch master cylinder with divorced reservoir?

N54 BMW water pump if you're brave and can make the right pwm signal

2g Ford Lightning intercooler pump if you want the simplest electric water pump available 

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/23 4:02 p.m.

I like this thread. Probably going to have to grab that exhaust pipe to finally fix my truck exhaust. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/16/23 4:16 p.m.

Following. This is excellent stuff. 

Probably a Very Good Idea to note all of these in some sort of logbook with the vehicle so you have the right part info when it does come time for replacement as well. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/16/23 10:21 p.m.

For anyone running a Holley Terminator X or a wideband that needs a LSU 4.9 sensor. The O2 sensor off of late model Cummins trucks is a wideband. P# 17212 is only about $65 at FLAPS. There's a couple other skus for varying wire length but that's the one I have written down in my notes. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
6/18/23 7:49 a.m.

Definitely bookmarking this thread, I feel like it deserves a sticky on the forum.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/23 9:54 a.m.

Windshield urethane (usually 3M Windo-weld) for filling engine and transmission mounts deserves a mention. Would probably even hold together a broken mount for quite a while too.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/18/23 10:05 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

We used WindoWeld to pretty much hold an entire CRX together for the Challenge and then a few seasons of Rallycross.  It's basically the automotive version of construction adhesive.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/23 2:18 p.m.

I have used high pressure fuel hose clamped onto plastic quick disconnects for a long time, adapting quick disconnect components into a fuel system built around steel tube and rubber hose.  Works just fine and easier than replumbing when all you need to do is adapt one little section.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/18/23 4:17 p.m.

I remember once someone here telling me that Mercedes hose clamps have some off-blue colored coating on them that made them particularly resistant to corrosion. Maybe that's one for the list?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H2saRvEQArtmCUvz3HZAJgxDYD0sB0tS1wingRzb9s3Fa5b1z4Jo60r9HpyHlcE8