1 2
JohnnyTwinTurbo
JohnnyTwinTurbo
9/21/21 9:23 p.m.

Would you all accept a FMV of $500 for this 1986 SCCA IT Fiero?  It's complete but no log book, has been more then a decade since it was raced, doesn't run but supposedly did on starting fluid over a decade ago, has a horrible roll cage, etc.

My students originally posted this about two years ago along with a yellow one but didn't post correctly to get the necessary responses to establish the FMV.  Most of them have since graduated but I have a new group that wants to tackle the project for 2022.  Some comments from that original post is that the "suspension looked clean and like it may be well sorted".  To be clear, anything that is clean and shiney on this car is because the first thing I did was have them pull the suspension off, strip it, blast it, inspect it and paint it.  When we started it was all rusty or greasy!  Some less then stellar mods were also revealed - the front lower control arms had the bushings removed and large washers welded to the bushing cans with offset holes drilled in them!  The RF obviously took a hard hit at some point based on the bent control arm mount, etc.

Let me know your thoughts (I know, I know, it's a Fiero) and any questions.  Thank You!

John

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/21 10:05 a.m.

I kinda remember it from the last post. Was it donated to the school? 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/21 10:11 a.m.

Just the car? Or a large spares package as well? And I think there could be a few different engines in there. What if any wheels are included?

All said, I do think $500 is probably fair for just the car as is. I think you would struggle to sell it for that.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/22/21 10:30 a.m.

2022 is shaping up to be the year of mid-engine. $500 sounds fair to me. Other people's abandoned projects are always cheaper than clean slates. 

JohnnyTwinTurbo
JohnnyTwinTurbo New Reader
9/22/21 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yes, it was donated to the school.

JohnnyTwinTurbo
9/22/21 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

It came with a spare hood, but that was it for the spares package.  Here's the wheels and dry rotted Hoosiers that came with it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/22/21 11:29 a.m.

Pics of cage and as purchased drivetrain apecs?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/21 11:40 a.m.

Link to original thread?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/22/21 11:47 a.m.

I paid $1200 for a Fiero that was in worse condition. 

I understand you have put some energy into cleaning it up, but dirt does not determine the value. The parts that are on the car determine the value whether they are dirty or not. 

9/22/21 12:38 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

or at the very least, not always true. Tell me you've never heard of anyone buying a car, cleaning it up, and selling it for more.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/22/21 12:39 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Of course I have. 

But they never asked for Challenge FMV. 

9/22/21 12:41 p.m.

IDK when it happened, but somewhere along the line you became a semantics shiny happy person. Peace.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/22/21 12:42 p.m.

So which is worth more FMV at the Challenge... a clean stock unmodified roller, or the same roller with an upgraded suspension and a log book, but dirty?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/22/21 12:44 p.m.

Dude?  

I paid more for a lesser car. Why is that wrong to say?

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/22/21 12:49 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

IDK when it happened, but somewhere along the line you became a semantics shiny happy person. Peace.

Comments like this have made this forum a lot less fun. 

You're still still one of my favorite people. 

Stampie
9/22/21 1:43 p.m.

I'm good with $500. Just because someone else over paid don't mean their's is the standard for FMV.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
9/22/21 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Absolutely!

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/22/21 4:42 p.m.

This thread delivers!
Original thread
Second thread, yellow car only

Same pics here as one year ago, and no new answers to the same old questions. Retired race cars are generally cheap to buy, and there are reasons for that. Putting them back into service tends to be cost prohibitive when you factor possible cage updates, new log book, updating suspension to be competitive with current class standards, etc etc. Probably less of an issue in this case.

I could maybe see $500 for this, but I'd really like some pics of the engine and the cage to get a better idea of what is going on.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/23/21 6:31 a.m.

A non running $500 ex-racecar.  

Sounds fair to me.

JohnnyTwinTurbo
9/23/21 7:05 a.m.

Here's pics of the engine, roll cage and the big melted electrical connector that I suspect is really why it doesn't run!  We pulled the manifolds and vacuumed out all of the left over squirrel debris and then did the red wrinkle paint on the intake manifold and valve covers so something looked nice in the engine bay.  The cage configuration sacrifices 7" of leg room in the car so at the very least we will need to cut the bars in the main hoop plane out so we can fit someone over 5'6" in the car.  

From all of our static checks (pulled the valve covers and pan, bore scoped the cylinders) we think the motor is mechanically ok, finger's crossed, and its real problems are electrical.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/23/21 8:18 a.m.

Thanks for the additional pics. I am in at $500 as it was delivered to you; meaning any work you have done since taking delivery should be accounted for in the budget.
Possible things I see in the pics and others you have disclosed: paint, fresh hardware, control arm repairs, that new axle, etc. Plus obviously anything going forward.

I suppose this makes me your 5th nod. Have fun! I look forward to a build thread and seeing this car compete.

Be sure to go over the roll cage rules before making any updates to what is there.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 8:25 a.m.

In reply to gumby :

I concur with Gumby 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/23/21 8:54 a.m.

I also concur with gumby. $500 start, plus all the materials, supplies and parts youve used since.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/23/21 10:38 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Comments like this have made this forum a lot less fun. 

You're still still one of my favorite people. 

Yeah, we don't need that here. You might be Angry, but you can still be kind.

Stampie
9/23/21 11:45 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'm a believer in truth. If I'm being a semantics shiny happy person I'd hope that someone would tell me so.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ncu6N9glIqwpPeGPPjnXyVHN5k2rU5SkmoP0yoarkfLxd6muzP6u845VFNptSg1v