1 2
MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/4/08 12:33 p.m.

GRM Price: $2008

I purchased this 1972 SAAB 95 a few weeks ago with the intention of driving it to and from work every day, but I've realized that I have entirely too many cars (7) and entirely too many vintage SAABs (3).

Approximately 12k miles ago, the previous owner had the heads and four-speed manual transmission rebuilt. Since getting it home, I've replaced a busted rear shock and done a complete tune up, including new spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, points, fuel filter, air filter, rubber fuel lines from the fuel pump to the carb, and fixed two vaccuum leaks at the intake manifold and carb. It runs like a top, and averaged nearly 27MPG on the 6 hour trip home when I purchased it. Fuel economy should be even better with all of the fresh parts.

The previous owner did all body work, floor patches, paint, etc over this past spring and summer. I don't do body work, but I can say that I don't think it was professionally done. He said that he welded in a lot of new metal, but also used some epoxy filler and fiberglass. I can say that the car has no rust perforation anywhere. It looks great going down the road, but is not a show car. It would be a good candidate for a body restoration, as the mechanics are in top shape. The previous owner also removed the rear seats and replaced them with a flat floor, which is carpeted and looks quite nice. I had aspirations of replacing this with the original seats, but the floor is VERY useful. I've hauled ~20 6ft metal poles without issue, and smiled at the thought of getting getting good gas mileage and having fun while doing it.

The front seats have covers on them, and I've not taken them off. I'd assume that they were covered for a reason. All gauges work, as well as the backlights for them. The car has a cracked windsheild, but I have a good one that we removed from a '69 SAAB 96 that I'll include with the car. It is complete with the surrounding gasket. Because I hadn't swapped out the windsheild yet, I haven't even transferred the car into my name. It has a clear out of state title ready to be transferred into your name.

Everything seems to work. Wipers, lights, brakes, transmission, etc. It does need tires. The ones on the car are dry-rotted, but I've put ~1200 miles on it over the past few weeks without issue. They do need to be replaced soon, though. Thankfully, 165/15s are cheap. The car gets a lot of looks. I love the style, and I love the way it drives. I simply don't have time to enjoy it right now between working 45+ hrs a week and I returned to college over the summer. I'd love for the car to go to someone who will enjoy and appreciate it.

I've attached a few pictures of it. If you'd like detailed pictures of anything else, let me know and I'd be happy to take some and email them to you. Feel free to email me to arrange a viewing in person.

It is also worth mentioning that there are at least four of us Vintage SAAB enthusiasts in Louisville, and we'd be happy to give some direction to the new owner if needed. Thanks.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/4/08 12:55 p.m.

Addt'l pics:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
11/4/08 3:12 p.m.

That car is painfully cool, and would be the perfect vehicle to haul around a mountain bike in.

Sadly though, I can offer you no money. Trade for Xbox 360, guns, souls, or dirty deeds done dirt cheap?

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/4/08 3:21 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote: That car is painfully cool, and would be the perfect vehicle to haul around a mountain bike in. Sadly though, I can offer you no money. Trade for Xbox 360, guns, souls, or dirty deeds done dirt cheap?

It's funny that you mention that. One of the big reasons that I wanted it was to haul my road bike in. I had hoped it would encourage me to ride it more often.

And oddly enough, I am short a soul. Mine has been missing for quite a while. Maybe we could work something out...

Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
11/5/08 2:35 p.m.

It's almost futile for me to ask questions about the car, (seriously, I probably have about a 1% chance of coming up with the cash before it sells) but I can't resist!

Are parts for these cars kinda hard to track down? I don't really care about having period correct interior, I'm more concerned with the mechanical side of it.

Speaking of which, just how reliable is a 1970's Saab? I'm not exactly a good shadetree mechanic, I'm probably fair at best.

schumithecat
schumithecat New Reader
11/5/08 4:32 p.m.

That unique styling reminds me of an old VW station wagon my dad drove for time when I was a kid, we called it the Green Hornet. As to planning to drive an early 70s car as a daily driver, let alone a Saab, you sir are the world's greatest optimist.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/6/08 8:50 a.m.
schumithecat wrote: As to planning to drive an early 70s car as a daily driver, let alone a Saab, you sir are the world's greatest optimist.

I'll disagree with that statement wholeheartedly, but that's certainly a discussion for another thread.

The engine is a 1.7l V4 that was produced by Ford. In earlier versions, it was available as a 1.2 or a 1.5, to my knowledge. My '69 96 has the 1.5, and the 1.2 was available elsewhere in the world in the Ford Taunus. From what I've read, the engine was originally intended to be used in industrial applications where they would be run constantly. Both of the V4 cars that I've had have been extremely reliable, and I've no reason to think this would be any different.

Parts are available from various suppliers. Google "Jack Ashcraft", West of Sweden, Skandix, or RockAuto to see some of the most popular suppliers. All of the tune up parts that I just installed came from RockAuto and Skandix. The carb is a generic FoMoCo.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/6/08 3:39 p.m.

I'm having bad thoughts about that.....really bad thoughts.

Mid engine, rear drive. It could be fun. Seeing as how it isn't a full restoration, I wouldn't feel as bad doing that.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
11/6/08 3:53 p.m.

Thank god you aren't closer.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/7/08 3:03 p.m.

Where are you? I'm down for a weekend roadtrip, within reason.

I suppose that offer stands for anyone. I'd rather see this go to a good home, which I'm confident any GRMer could provide.

subrew
subrew New Reader
11/7/08 6:01 p.m.

I'll be having dinner with Jack Ashcraft tonight. He is in the process of selling the business to his older son Mark, and moving down here to Chico. He's been trying to retire for a while now...

I'll have to show him this link, he always liked the 95s. We had a hot rod blue 95 for a long time. It made a great parts hauler for all the Sonetts we usually had lounging around.

Free bump for a Saab enthusiast.

Chris Hartman -Mr A's stepson

edit: have you posted this on saabnet?

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/10/08 12:23 p.m.
subrew wrote: I'll be having dinner with Jack Ashcraft tonight. He is in the process of selling the business to his older son Mark, and moving down here to Chico. He's been trying to retire for a while now... I'll have to show him this link, he always liked the 95s. We had a hot rod blue 95 for a long time. It made a great parts hauler for all the Sonetts we usually had lounging around. Free bump for a Saab enthusiast. Chris Hartman -Mr A's stepson edit: have you posted this on saabnet?

Very cool. Thanks for that.

I've not put it on SaabNet. That will be a last resort. I'm not a big fan of that board in general, and some acquaintences of mine have had some 'issues' with their classifieds system lately.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
11/14/08 1:23 p.m.

Still here. Still 'painfully cool'.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
11/14/08 4:27 p.m.

Saab 95s in the U.S. had the 1.7 liter version of the Ford V4, it produces 65 horsepower in stock form. The entry in the '96 issue of Classic Car Buyer's Guide closes by saying:

"They'll last and last".

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/15/08 8:49 a.m.
integraguy wrote: "They'll last and last".

I used to ice race a 96, the sedan of that car. When it over heated I would pull into the pits, pop the hood and lay on three shoves of snow, then get back out there. Try that with your Honda.

The V-4s were industrial engines, you know those big water pumps used by municipalities to clean up the sewer system? Those. And the four speed on the column is a rare treat.

Dan

rdchaplin
rdchaplin New Reader
11/19/08 8:17 p.m.

Interested !! Call me or email; 717-624-8333 or rdchaplin@embarqmail.com

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
11/20/08 8:48 p.m.

There is a sonnet 2 near me in beat up state. The thing that sounds cool is a ford engine in an exotic platform and I don't think I've ever seen one. Really neat car, good luck with it.

I can use my mercedes as a daily driver, but every now and then it will give me some issue.

Gravelgeezer
Gravelgeezer
11/26/08 10:02 p.m.

Still for sale?

I'm 2 hours away; got a trailer if necessary, and got a '69 95 parts car out back! (...next to a '69 96 parts car)

George B.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/29/08 9:05 a.m.

In reply to sachilles:

The car in profile screems LSx conversion to me. I have no idea how you would do it.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
12/3/08 9:26 a.m.

I apologize for the delayed response. Life has been... errrm... hectic... lately.

The car is still available. I got in it last weekend for drive it around the neighborhood for the first time in a couple of weeks. The clutch pedal went to the floor. Reservoir was empty. I filled it but haven't had a chance to bleed it to see just how bad the leak is.

Wonderful.

clara
clara
4/26/11 2:02 p.m.

I also purchased a1972 saab station wagon and cant find parts for it can any one help me ?I need the line that goes to the clutch .My clutch also goes down to the floor but if pumped it grabs again..If any one wants to buy this saab I"m interested in selling.

clara
clara New Reader
4/26/11 2:04 p.m.

SRY I forgot to give e-mail or # 863-288-7272 c.grano@yahoo.complz call if interested

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
4/26/11 2:06 p.m.

By any chance did that prior owner (of the first saab mentioned) obtain it from a seller in CT? It looks really familiar.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/11 9:03 a.m.

I really wish that my wife and I had not decided to be adults and get our finances in order. I would love to DD that.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/27/11 9:25 a.m.

Zombie thread!

I believe the car in question has since rusted in half.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
twQdR2fgIUj5M51Fe5HgPIGCLtoOFvWz4I8SyHakZ55igB5FRkrJXF3MsrdpgVGx