SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/11 8:40 a.m.

$2011 FIRM! This price is for you guys only...I lost my job on Saturday and need to move this thing fast. Also interested in trading for something a little cheaper to run but still fun (E30, Isuzu Impulse, Swift GT, MR2, etc)

Photobucket http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v126/SlickDizzy/My%20Cars/BMW%20525it/ (copy and paste the link if it doesn't work)

1995 BMW 525it 5-speed. It is a 525i "touring" model (commonly known as a station wagon), and in the early 2000's a 5-speed manual was swapped in when the original trans gave up. Color is royal blue (not original, car was flat black when I got it - thank the previous owner), car has ~186k miles on it. Recently invested more than $1,000 into all-new front suspension and brakes on all four corners. Also has a new battery, new thermostat & housing, and a rebuilt shift linkage. New clutch and engine seals were put on when trans swap was done (according to PO). Just put a new serpentine belt on it, as well. Recently drove to Houghton, MI and back with zero problems. Car has 17" BMW Style 32 wheels with Nokian WS2 tires currently mounted (great in the snow). Only known problems are cosmetic (a little bit of rust here and there, sagging headliner, one door panel is pretty messed up, a couple minor cracks in windshield), and the car leaks about a coffee cup's worth of coolant every week (I've long suspected the temp sensor fitting at the bottom of the radiator, I just top it up once a week and it does fine). Car gets ~20 MPG around town, ~30 when you go through a whole tank on the freeway.

I also have a set of 5-spoke 16x7 Speedline wheels for the car with virtually new Michelin tires. I would let them go with for $250 extra (otherwise I will keep them for my other BMW).

I'm asking $2750 everywhere else. Someone take this thing, it's a screaming deal at this price!

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/11 1:38 p.m.

YGM.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
2/23/11 1:50 p.m.

Wow, that's right up my alley. Too bad WI is so far!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/23/11 2:07 p.m.

Sorry to hear of your ill fortune.

Good luck with the 525, but I'd rather snatch up your Brat.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/11 3:08 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I'd rather snatch up your Brat.

I'll take "things that are easily misunderstood by police" for $800, please, Alex.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
2/23/11 4:28 p.m.

Huh, a ticket from DC to Milwaukee is only 80 bucks if you order a week in advance...

mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
2/23/11 4:37 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

These deals always come up at the most inopportune times. It will sell.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
2/23/11 5:51 p.m.

Damn it! This is exactly what I want for a $20xx Challenge project, too bad I can't act upon it right now.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/23/11 6:11 p.m.

What mileage does this get?

How many miles are these good for?

Can you show the rust?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/11 8:20 p.m.

trade for the '96 probe GT in my grm garage? typically gets 25 mpg in mixed driving and 28 on the freeway at 80 mph. comes with a spare set of OE rims with excellent dunlop wintersport 3d snows, and a Thule roof rack with two bike mounts plus the ski/snowboard carrier. i will drive the PGT to you and drive the BMW back unless you tell me it won't make it.

I could keep the set of PGT rims with the wintersports and install the 17x7 KMC Hot Wheels with 225/45-17 Michelin Pilot Alpins that are currently on my Mazda6, if that was a make-or-break feature for you. Don't have pix of 'em but can get 'em if you're interested in the trade bait. Clear title, of course. I assume the 525it has a clear title as well.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/11 8:26 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Sorry, just realized that pic shows the OE '96 "swirlies" which i no longer have. I prefer the straight-spoke design of the '93 - '95, so the car has two sets of the straight-spoke wheels.

Also, that pic is about 4 years old. She still looks good, but not quite as good as that pic. The plastic cladding on the lower RF fender is missing. Also replaced the white mirrors with a black set from another PGT when I broke one of the white ones by running into it with the snow thrower.

SlickDizzy
2/23/11 8:45 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: What mileage does this get? How many miles are these good for? Can you show the rust?
  1. ~20 in town, ~30 freeway.

2. The engine is timing chain driven, and it's had synthetic oil since the late 90's. Doesn't leak or burn anything, runs smooth as silk. I'd give it until 350k AT LEAST.

3. If you look closely at the pics you can see (around fuel filler door, driver's side door bottoms). I will try to get you better pics tomorrow.

psteav & Angry, your trade offers are being considered - my buddy is offering me a sweet deal on a 5-speed Camry AllTrac as a DD, and there's a 91 Impulse turbo AWD for sale locally, so I'd really rather have the cash...but we'll see.

wcelliot
wcelliot HalfDork
2/23/11 9:26 p.m.

Having owned an Impulse RS AWD, I'd suspect the BMW is the cheaper car to own....

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
2/23/11 9:26 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Good luck with the sale sorry about the job...

docwyte
docwyte Reader
2/24/11 9:33 p.m.

Trade for a '90 Jeep Cherokee plus a little cash thrown your way?

SlickDizzy
2/24/11 10:49 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: I've got an RX7 I'd rather have the wagon

Looks nice. What's wrong with it? More info?

docwyte wrote: Trade for a '90 Jeep Cherokee plus a little cash thrown your way?

I'd consider that. More info?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/25/11 8:09 a.m.

Holy shizzle!

Someone with a spare $2k needs to go get that NOW. If I wasn't on the wrong side of an engine build I'd be sending the "BACK OFF!" from I80 West. I love me some E34 wagon. Too bad I went and bought a new S52 head last week.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/25/11 8:17 a.m.

THIS is exactly what I am looking for. It is a shame you are 2000 miles away...

docwyte
docwyte Reader
2/25/11 9:36 p.m.

135k on the Cherokee. Recent brakes, tires, RF axle, battery and tune up. Very light surface rust in 2-3 spots. White, Laredo, automatic, power windows, locks, etc. AC doesn't work, just petered out one day, cruise doesn't work. Alpine MP3 player and speakers. Runs very well, sits around for months, go out and it fires right away and drives off.

SlickDizzy
2/26/11 12:59 p.m.

Car has been SOLD!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oNt7C11w2nSlmjDdMQAcNmwQzmPT2CQ9DYX5sxXa5WmEmhdJ7Or3JsZKSYQRPEDG