1 2 3
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/23/13 5:27 p.m.

the 3rd seat comes out easily, the 2nd row folds flat to make a cargo floor all the way to the back of the front seats. without the 2nd row you have a dropoff where they would be. cargo room last i used our 90 would fit 8' sheets of plywood and still have 6" or so, so you'll be very close.

if this was $1000 when it was initially posted i'd have been driving it all winter. but now it's not in the cards.

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
3/23/13 6:50 p.m.

Ahhh. I have a 71, and couldn't remember what the later models were like for seating. I think I have just over 103" in that, but a SBC with a Holley double pumper and a TH 350 don't combine to give stellar fuel mileage.

mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
3/23/13 9:41 p.m.

Just sent you a message.

Powar
Powar Dork
3/25/13 8:32 a.m.
Cooter wrote: Three questions- 1) Are both the second and third row seats easily removed, leaving a flat floor? (Pretty sure they are) B: How much cargo length is there from the back of the front seat to the tailgate? (with the front seat all the way back) π (Who doesn't love fresh baked π ?) Do you think it can be jumped, or will it need new batteries to drive home to Chicago? I really am serious about this, as I need to pick up a 102" long sofa in New Mexico next week and drive it back to ChiTown. The enclosed space and decent mileage might be just the ticket for this trip.

The answers above about the interior are correct. If I were in your shoes, however, I'd probably just spend the extra dollars on fuel. This was a great truck for me and I've never doubted whether or not I'd make it to my destination, but I don't want to read here about it breaking on the way across the country.

The batteries are likely fine. They aren't completely dead, but aren't strong enough to start it. If the weather is better this weekend, I hope to hook the other diesel Suburban up to it and get it started. I'll report back if so.

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
3/25/13 10:59 p.m.

The thing is, the difference in fuel will be more than 1/2 the price of your rig. Plus my '71 has just as much chance of failure, once you consider age. I have AAA, and have made plenty of Epic Road Trips before, including 2K miles in a '73 Imperial that I had just bought off of a demolition derby site, and 1K mi in 24 hrs on a 65K mi '85 V65 Sabre (two up, no less) I'm not too worried about it. Plus, I always take responsibility for myself and my ride, and always make it home.

But if you really don't want to sell to me, let me know now, and I'll look elsewhere. No hard feelings.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
3/25/13 11:07 p.m.

Whoever buys this needs to send me an e-mail. I am pretty sure I have every rust repair patch panel it could need in storage leftover from my '86 that I scrapped and I'll send them along to the new buyer if they pay for shipping.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/26/13 7:24 a.m.

Yeah, if this had been $1000 when it was posted I think I'd have had no choice but to jump on it. I'm not saying it was over-priced, I'm just saying I'm under-monied.

But I just picked up my diesel commuter so I'm out of the market. GLWS.

Powar
Powar Dork
3/26/13 7:25 a.m.
Cooter wrote: The thing is, the difference in fuel will be more than 1/2 the price of your rig. Plus my '71 has just as much chance of failure, once you consider age. I have AAA, and have made plenty of Epic Road Trips before, including 2K miles in a '73 Imperial that I had just bought off of a demolition derby site, and 1K mi in 24 hrs on a 65K mi '85 V65 Sabre (two up, no less) I'm not too worried about it. Plus, I always take responsibility for myself and my ride, and always make it home. But if you really don't want to sell to me, let me know now, and I'll look elsewhere. No hard feelings.

You're preaching to the choir. The number of dumbE36 M3 trips I've taken in unproven/decrepit cars is astounding. Only a few have ended in a tow, but I digress.

I'd never not sell a car to someone, so long as they were someone like.... us. I'm just honest about the things I sell, and I want to be sure that people know what they're getting. If you want it, by all means...

Powar
Powar Dork
3/26/13 7:26 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Whoever buys this needs to send me an e-mail. I am pretty sure I have every rust repair patch panel it could need in storage leftover from my '86 that I scrapped and I'll send them along to the new buyer if they pay for shipping.

That's an awesome offer. Thanks for the posting it here!

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
3/26/13 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Powar: Sending you a message now. Need to ask a few questions over the phone.

Powar
Powar Dork
3/27/13 7:54 a.m.
Cooter wrote: In reply to Powar: Sending you a message now. Need to ask a few questions over the phone.

I replied. I look forward to hearing from you.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
3/27/13 7:57 a.m.

Anyone need to go from KY to PA anytime soon? I sure as hell could use one of these things...

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
3/27/13 9:39 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Anyone need to go from KY to PA anytime soon? I sure as hell could use one of these things...

The closest I can come up with is SC to NY, which may or may not pass through the required areas. It would be in May/June, though.

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
3/30/13 7:19 a.m.

It's all mine!!!! Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Road Trip to Albuquerque for a bonding experience and then back to Chicago.

Tanks for your patience, Tim, and it was great to meet you. Take good care of Mr Car until we get back.

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
3/30/13 7:20 a.m.

In reply to oldopelguy: I'll be taking you up on that offer; this beast is well worth saving!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
3/30/13 8:19 a.m.

Famn, just saw this and so much want! Someone got a smoking deal!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
3/30/13 11:54 a.m.

Curses,foiled again. Just couldn't get the cash.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/13 12:35 p.m.

Thank god! I really didn't need another one. The temptation was getting pretty bad.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/30/13 3:27 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: A 2wd Suburban with a full tank of gas is pretty unstoppable in the snow.

That doesn't really come across as a good thing.

(But I know what you mean)

Powar
Powar Dork
4/1/13 8:47 a.m.

As Cooter said, this is gone. It couldn't have gone to a better home.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
4/1/13 10:23 a.m.

For Cooter needing more space...removal of the front bench seat and replacement with a front bucket seat would provide ample space to more the sofa a little more forward.

For anyone else looking for a Suburban deal, I stumbled across this in central Ohio.
http://mansfield.craigslist.org/cto/3715251322.html
Not diesel but 4x4, 350. Asking $1200. That seems like a good deal when priced per pound.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/1/13 10:54 a.m.

if you end up needing parts i'm stripping a 1990 loaded silverado trim burb in a month or so. super nice doors, lots of good stuff, the 89-91 front end with a brand new in the wrapper core support, etc... we're weeding out all the retired work trucks that have been sucking up registration and insurance fees without being driven more than once or twice a year.

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
4/1/13 7:43 p.m.

Thanks for the kind words, Tim. I'll try to treat her right. Right now she is pulling a grade on I40 just east of Albuquerque. We've bonded nicely.

Cooter
Cooter New Reader
4/5/13 8:35 p.m.

24.2 MpG Albuquerque to Amarillo

24.5 MpG Amarillo to Springfield, Mo

Shoved two sofas and a pair of rust free duster fenders back there.

Sorry about updating here, but I want Tim to know Moby is doing fine, and FaceBook is fighting me with status updates.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
4/5/13 9:18 p.m.

damn, thats pretty good mileage.
My trooper only got 15mpg=/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XHQsjt9W5Mb0W4gtSE0oZcMgFYG1msoNRIlNdVjhEiQaN1tDMAXNYEHrJ5l1OxI1