frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/30/22 11:05 a.m.

Myself, the Nelsons, and I'm sure several others have a great advantage over the younger, less privileged, less experienced in the $2000 challenge.  
      While we need motivation to keep attracting them. Don't we  also need to prevent newbies from being discouraged?  
  Maybe Handicapping is the wrong approach?   Maybe a first timers bonus system?   

What do I know?   I just love the idea of the challenge and want it to grow and grow.  

Toot
Toot New Reader
4/30/22 11:18 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Don't try and over complicate things

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/22 11:38 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You can't read and understand the rules.  How does that give you an advantage?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/22 11:42 a.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/30/22 12:17 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to frenchyd :

You can't read and understand the rules.  How does that give you an advantage?

You aren't one who should talk. A plain text reading of the rules says a copy of the original body has to be similar.   Yet you insist that an exact copy isn't similar enough.   
   In addition the rules also say original frame or modified original frame which I proposed to build. In fact it would be a tool room exact copy of an original frame.   
     My I politely suggest that in the future you consider the question involved and if it has merit or not. Rather than rehashing old discussions?   

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/30/22 12:21 p.m.

Yeah, young people could never build a winning Challenge car. Off the top of my head:

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
4/30/22 12:27 p.m.

While I made this for a different forum member with a far more obvious situation, at a certain point this still rings true.  

Whether knowingly or not, this is where we now stand.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/22 12:28 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You really should think about how narcissistic you come off when you claim that you have an advantage over others for a race you've never even entered. As far as rules questions from you I'll give you my standard Frenchy response.

Read the rules, build it to the rules, come to the Challenge. If you're to the rules then great. If not I'm not going to discuss rules until you show because I've already given you to much of my life. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/30/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Valid response.   I was wrong to use age as an abbreviation for poorly equipped.  
       However,   I wonder what sort of equipment they had access to?  Do you think maybe a bit more than the young person just starting out? With a small toolbox handed down?  
 What did you start out with?   That's who I'm thinking should get the recognition and encouragement.  

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/30/22 12:30 p.m.
Toot said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Don't try and over complicate things

Too late.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/30/22 12:34 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

The $2000 Challenge is 100% a team sport, and several of the participants in those photos (and not just the college kids) owned few tools and had little to no experience. They still won the Challenge. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/22 3:39 p.m.

Can we just ban this troll already?

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/22 5:40 p.m.

Jag was cash strapped until an Indian company purchased them, yet in spite of having no R&D budget, they attempted to design and build vehicles. (Often just seeing what Aston was doing and blatantly attempting to copy at exterior design then seeing what Ford modular V8 could be borrowed as a powerplant). 

There's always a barrier to entry. That's why it's a challenge. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/30/22 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Ford bought Jaguar.  Tatra bought Jaguar from Ford. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/30/22 10:04 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Can we just ban this troll already?

I dunno it's kinda interesting to see what wild far fetched tale comes from his fingers next. I mean... it could just be aliens man. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/30/22 10:37 p.m.

I find it humorous that you are putting yourself and the Nelson's in the same sentence. Please bring a car and run it first. Then reminisce. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/22 10:55 p.m.

I just knew I'd get a laugh out of this thread as soon as I read the title and saw who started it.

johndej
johndej Dork
4/30/22 11:05 p.m.

Bold of you to assume superiority without ever attending previously.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wGDblqzWEuk8JEutbFa25zXvPPg4aZwCMpTmlx23sr9FykauORTJhNsHGF8r4IdT