barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/26/20 11:26 a.m.

Per the rules, since I cannot use the factory 3-point belts, I need harnesses. Cool, got 'em. Don't know how to install the shoulder straps. If a harness bar is required, what material is mandated? 
could I use the rear deck?

I can add plates to that, and it is 23" from the drivers seat. 
Thanks for any input!

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/26/20 4:42 p.m.

As far as NHRA is concerned, "All harness sections must be mounted to the frame, crossmember, or reinforced mounting."

The method of attachment is determined by the harness manufacturer, and NHRA requires hardware and belts "originally designed to be used with each other and produced by the same manufacturer."

Did you receive any literature with the harnesses regarding mounting methods? Do they have a website with more tech info?

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/26/20 5:21 p.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

The belts came with anchor straps that have like a 5/8 bolt hole. I'm just not sure of the best way to actually bolt them in. I can build a harness bar out of whatever is required, but there are no ideal attachment points. The simple solution is to use that rear deck with reinforcing plates, but I'm not sure that would be kosher. It is the right height, but I don't know if I'd call it structural. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/26/20 6:52 p.m.

The harnesses you have were probably for use with a harness bar that has tabs welded to it the metal pieces on the shoulder harnesses bolt to. I had that type in a couple cars. The package tray is considered too far away from seats in a stock location due to belt stretch in an incident. I doubt you'd pass tech inspection at a normal NHRA event if you plan on hitting test & tunes to dial in the car.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/26/20 7:06 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

No testing. The only real inspection we're likely to ever have is at challenge. But with 2200 miles to drive I don't want to have trouble passing tech when we get there. 

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/26/20 8:10 p.m.

Your harness manufacturer can tell if the span to the rear deck is too far or not.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/26/20 8:39 p.m.

In reply to gumby (Forum Supporter) :

Good thinking. I'll give them a call. Im new to this racecar building thing. Never really had to comply with rules before. 

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/27/20 11:01 a.m.

When I have to run belts more than 12-18" I run chain to reach.  This isn't for any sanctioned racing but is, in fact, right before the car is crashed and has never given me any issues. 

of course the mount is vital and I'll make sure it's plenty strong.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tsdV5LYvRsWldKeJQ5BgLut4J7ymvM0OFB9dtnZbJCvjUhEafqlDC5O2zZ0VkPLT