frenchyd UltimaDork
3/15/21 8:14 a.m.
wheels777 said:
frenchyd said:
wheels777 said:
stan_d said:

Yes it's my challenge build . 

Atlas vs 2JZ.  Epic.

Is anyone else doing a straight 6 build?

You are aware they made a V12 version of the 2JZ  aren't you?  

No I did not.  But I am confident that Stan and Jonathan (and others) know the difference between 6 and 12.  Stan is pretty smart and doesn't need his fingers when counting.  Jonathan is one of those big brained Engineer type dudes, so we taught him how to count to 6 by keeping one hand behind his back..  Regardless, anyone who wants to enter a V12 into the Challenge is going to be welcomed at the event (as long as they follow the rules and specifically the budget requirement).  I don't recall reading any rules that excluded a V12 but will reread them to see if I missed that detail. We (Stan, Jonathan, Calvin, myself, maybe others) are just having a side show straight 6 brawl/bash/mini competition.  That's all.

Sorry, I was trying for a little light hearted trash talk.  My next comment was going to be how a V12 is twice as good as an inline six ( since most of them are  just V'ed up versions of the six).  
     As far as budget goes I'm $692 into it so far but I still have my full buy back allocation.  
You can buy V12's in astonishingly good shape for very little money. They tend to be owned by rich old men and get low miles while being very well maintained. Then the old guy dies and since they depreciate so rapidly often aren't worth fixing which brings them down to scrap metal prices. 

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/21 8:26 a.m.

I'm a big fan of this straight-six shootout! Can't wait to see it all go down this Fall. 

Maybe I'll volunteer to bring a last-minute Jag 6, if it's possible to get one running again in under 10 days. You know, for benchmarking purposes. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
3/15/21 8:35 a.m.
frenchyd said:
wheels777 said:
frenchyd said:
wheels777 said:
stan_d said:

Atlas vs 2JZ.  Epic.

No I did not.  But I am confident that Stan and Jonathan (and others) know the difference between 6 and 12.  Stan is pretty smart and doesn't need his fingers when counting.  Jonathan is one of those big brained Engineer type dudes, so we taught him how to count to 6 by keeping one hand behind his back..  Regardless, anyone who wants to enter a V12 into the Challenge is going to be welcomed at the event (as long as they follow the rules and specifically the budget requirement).  I don't recall reading any rules that excluded a V12 but will reread them to see if I missed that detail. We (Stan, Jonathan, Calvin, myself, maybe others) are just having a side show straight 6 brawl/bash/mini competition.  That's all.

Sorry, I was trying for a little light hearted trash talk.  My next comment was going to be how a V12 is twice as good as an inline six ( since most of them are  just V'ed up versions of the six).  
     As far as budget goes I'm $692 into it so far but I still have my full buy back allocation.  
You can buy V12's in astonishingly good shape for very little money. They tend to be owned by rich old men and get low miles while being very well maintained. Then the old guy dies and since they depreciate so rapidly often aren't worth fixing which brings them down to scrap metal prices. 

I have no doubt.  I have always said a Mustang guy can build a Mustang cheaper than me and/or most others.  And we can build a Chevy powered party wagon cheaper than many.  A Jag V12 guy will always build a V12 cheaper then a V12 novice.  Reality is we have our networks and proven recipes that optimize time and dollar expenditures for our chosen flavors.  But were still going to harrass our fellow competitors up until race day.  Then we all become everyone's teammates and do whatever it takes to help each other to succeed.  So if the teasing get a little close to home...toughen up...make the show....pick on Squishyfishy....enjoy the event.  Trash talk is part of the pre-race therapy that helps motivate the people goofy enough to try and do things for the event that we would not try elsewhere.  

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
3/15/21 8:39 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

I'm a big fan of this straight-six shootout! Can't wait to see it all go down this Fall. 

Maybe I'll volunteer to bring a last-minute Jag 6, if it's possible to get one running again in under 10 days. You know, for benchmarking purposes. 

You got 7 months. Get to work!

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/15/21 9:30 a.m.
wheels777 said:
frenchyd said:
wheels777 said:
frenchyd said:
wheels777 said:
stan_d said:

Atlas vs 2JZ.  Epic.

I have no doubt.  I have always said a Mustang guy can build a Mustang cheaper than me and/or most others.  And we can build a Chevy powered party wagon cheaper than many.  A Jag V12 guy will always build a V12 cheaper then a V12 novice.  Reality is we have our networks and proven recipes that optimize time and dollar expenditures for our chosen flavors.  But were still going to harrass our fellow competitors up until race day.  Then we all become everyone's teammates and do whatever it takes to help each other to succeed.  So if the teasing get a little close to home...toughen up...make the show....pick on Squishyfishy....enjoy the event.  Trash talk is part of the pre-race therapy that helps motivate the people goofy enough to try and do things for the event that we would not try elsewhere.  

Time for honesty. I can't afford a 4000 mile trip so I'm doing it locally.   My own version of the challenge. 
You guys have been a great help and inspiration to me. I've learned an awful lot watching your video's and listening  to your advice.  
With regard to a Mustang guy, Chevy guy, etc.  that's what I'm trying to be here. My decades of racing Jaguars on the cheap give me great insight as to the why's and corners to cut.   
For example. There is a $600+ Lucas ignition module that occasionally fails. But if you turn the plastic housing over it's a GM ignition module. Available  anyplace for $10-12.   The old ECM can be replaced with a Megasquirt  etc etc.

Mechanically it's a very simple engine that uses SAE sized bolts, nuts and fittings. A GM Transmission A Dana 44 rear end.  Etc. take the old luxury stuff from them  and nearly every one I've come across is in near new shape. With 100,000 miles on them the cylinders won't have any ridge and will still be within tolerance of new.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/21 8:49 a.m.

So, perhaps a large mental lapse, but I just realized last night there is already a i6 challenge winner. And I think it was turbo. And it wasn't 2JZ. Or Atlas. Or jag. Or bmw. 

no, it was Jeep. 

Perhaps someone here from that team can bring that jeep back for the i6 shootout?

3/22/21 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Oh yes, the Jeep XJ-R! One of  my favorite Challenge cars of all time. I would love to see it again. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/21 3:37 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Can you take the time off work and do you have a vehicle to tow it down with?

I am 100% confident that we could find enough people to get you entry and pay for gas/lodging to get you to bring something Jaguar down to the challenge.   

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/22/21 3:47 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Not in October. Typically we are all hands on deck trying to run routes with too few people. They use all the office staff including  the owner and his wife driving. One person left for maydays and other issues. All the mechanics and even the Janitors.   
I'm afraid if I did there would be kids left standing on corners in the rain. ( or snow, this is Minnesota)    I do have a truck and can borrow a trailer  but as long as school is in session my first duty is to those kids.  
      I'd like to do it.  I have a valve cover racer that will kick serious butt.  Plus it would be fun to show what a cheap Jaguar can do. 
  Maybe after I retire or if a partner joins me in doing the prep work. I'll lend him the car. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/21 4:58 p.m.

So that last statement makes me wonder:

You brought up the possibility of the car coming to the challenge without you personally being there.  

Since you have been planning on doing a demonstration to show what the V12 Jag can do, think of this:

If the car itself was at the challenge, where one of the hotshot drivers could knock down a fast autocross run and drag pass, that would certainly show the capability of the car. We'd all love to see you proved right, and see it in person. 

For that matter, is there, or could there be for special circumstances, a proxy class? Perhaps we're missing an opportunity here. There's already cars that come for demonstration purposes, I think. 

It would make a great magazine article. Then every reader would get a chance to learn about the capability of a budget V12. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/22/21 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I wouldn't have any problem with my car there without me.  I would however like someone who has some interest or investment in the car so at least to a degree I know it's not abused. 
  Trust me I'm not talking about it raced hard and to it's limit.  But the idea of high revs on a cold motor  or other abuses grinds my teeth.  
   That's why if someone has time but no knowledge etc I could send it down there and accept whatever may happen.  
 I assume it will be my money,  tools, and equipment that gets it ready but having someone share the work would give me the confidence not just for the challenge but also wheel to wheel at local tracks. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/22/21 5:27 p.m.

Maybe that could happen. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
3/22/21 5:38 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I'll  run the drag if someone else doesn't volunteer. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/21 8:31 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Chicago to minnie isn't really close at all. If it was closer I'd be hard pressed not to just hang out and learn and help. 

Heck, I might do it anyway.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/22/21 8:36 p.m.
wheels777 said:

In reply to frenchyd :

There is no better offer than that. 

Drop it off in Michigan. I'll use the 40 footer to haul both cars if it doesn't weight 5000lbs. We will treat it as well as anyone would treat someone else's car at a race track. 

This is a serious statement.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/23/21 7:45 a.m.
MrJoshua said:
wheels777 said:

In reply to frenchyd :

There is no better offer than that. 

I'll take you up on that offer if It gets down there somehow. Thank you. 

3/23/21 11:15 a.m.

*SIGH* I guess I'll volunteer to install my cheap nitrous kit in the hotel parking lot without frenchyd's permission.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
3/23/21 2:37 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I assume somebody's gonna bring the Chevy bolt pattern slicks. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/4/21 11:38 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Chicago to minnie isn't really close at all. If it was closer I'd be hard pressed not to just hang out and learn and help. 

Heck, I might do it anyway.

It's just over 400 miles to Palatine.   If I really push it it's about 6& 1/2 hours.  But that's assuming no issues with traffic and no stops. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
4/14/21 11:23 p.m.

well it looks like the blue notch most probably will not be making it to the 2021 Challenge. It will however be the backup chassis in case the BMW has some major issue during testing over the next few months. If that car ends up being a complete joke again then it will get parted out and combined with this pile of great parts. 

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JnxZabdro3lkacFrpB4RVEHqg2HHUTh5nmKtZ4K6RHXVQsnOMGfxlxIhLlLIj1RR