1 2 3 ... 8
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/13/20 2:10 p.m.

Well the 2021 builds are underway and much like every year,if im not mistaken, the nelsons are the most poised to take the W in the drag racing category. Well im hoping i can bring something to change that. I know others wanted in on this drag racing specific action as well so this is the spot for it. 

Below you will see the car i am bringing for 2021 SPECIFICALLY for the drag race. The rx7 will return as well but the drag car will be just that. Built for the sole purpose to show the nelsons what a set of tail lights look like.

Here is my contender. a 91 LX coupe. previously a SBC nitrous car. the plan. well its the same plan as always pinky, a turbo ls that will decimate all. I paid $1200 for it with a good amount of parts. it is a roller with a 10 point cage, drag wing, spooled 35 spline 9" rear end. anti roll bar, control arms. strange front and rear shocks, tubular k member, front coil overs, etc etc. Plus a good amount of spare parts (mainly sbc stuff) that i will use to recoup as much as possible. 

If this car does not run a 9 second pass, i don't deserve to build a car ever again.  That being said, its time to get to work...

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 3:19 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

If this car does not run a 9 second pass, i don't deserve to build a car ever again. 

I mean, you said it.

But seriously that looks like a good starting point!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 3:34 p.m.

Yeah have fun at your last challenge

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 4:57 p.m.

You folks keep focusing on the drags while I focus on the Challenge as a whole and beat you in the standings.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
12/13/20 5:18 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

You folks keep focusing on the drags while I focus on the Challenge as a whole and beat you in the standings at half budget.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 5:23 p.m.

Somebody tell the OP that we're not scoring on 1/8-mile times.

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Actually, I am thinking about claiming the half budget win. I have yet to fully inventory all of my parts and finalize my plan but it will be fast, handle well and, most importantly, survive the whole weekend. I might even make it look good, though admittedly it is an inferior design to start with...

My only real obstacle is that without a roll bar I will be limited to a 13.50 drag breakout. Fortunately, I will be far enough ahead in the autox that it will not be an issue. As long as I am still faster than Quasi it will be sufficient!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/14/20 2:13 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I did pretty good last year lol. And the rx7 is returning with changes. Im just wanting to build something fast to compete with them in. 

For those unaware, i am experienced with building fast cars. My nice foxbody drag car made just shy of 1000whp before going down for some big changes. 

All in good fun. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/14/20 2:13 a.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

I thought you wanted in on this action too.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

Oh I think he does. He's just sad that you will run a 10.001 and not ever build another car.

We will miss you.

That being said, I plan on running all four doors and if you divide my 18 second drag car by the number of passengers capable of being carried we will be on the same level per seat!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/14/20 5:47 a.m.

I think it is great that you are building a drag car to compete with the Nelson's.  I am sure they and the magazine will love the competition.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
12/14/20 6:22 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

You folks keep focusing on the drags while I focus on the Challenge as a whole and beat you in the standings.

That is simply not true. Focusing on what you are good at is a very real strategy. If I know I can beat you by 5 seconds on the drags but give up 4 in the autocross, why would I not make that trade? 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/20 6:25 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Oh I agree. That wasn't aimed at you guys. I'm just hoping to give up 2 secs in the drags and get you by 6 in the autocross. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
12/14/20 6:29 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Somebody tell the OP that we're not scoring on 1/8-mile times.

Oof. Now there's some good trash talk.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
12/14/20 6:29 a.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Good luck.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
12/14/20 6:32 a.m.

We're excited to have a real competitor! It's going to be fun! 

You think you can beat us with that imposter Fox Body?!?! Everyone knows that the Ford Fairmont is the peak of Fox Body finesse! You have no chance against the OG. Lol

tb (minimally supportive)
tb (minimally supportive) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/20 6:35 a.m.

I only posted so that you could all tell me that evidently my brain is damaged and that I am too large to even fit in my own car, etc..

I can't predict who will be the fastest; cars break, people malfunction, weather doesn't cooperate... but to the OP i will say this: "too soon, junior"

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/14/20 6:42 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Laughs in LS.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/14/20 8:34 a.m.

here is a quick video of the car and a more in depth look of what it has and what it came with. 

Also shows the taillights, so yall can get used to the view early on.

https://youtu.be/ESUO5en_MdI

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/14/20 8:57 a.m.

Whatever you guys do, you better be sure not to get beat by a car with an engine that displaces less than your turbos. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
12/14/20 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

No promises. Lol

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/20 10:11 a.m.

Imagine losing overall to a 4 door wagon that only went 13. Oh wait that was all of you last year!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/14/20 10:23 a.m.

You want to build a 9 second car when you can't even embed a video. 

You better hope that it's not cloudy, as obviously you won't be fuel injected. 

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/14/20 10:39 a.m.

Game on dawg.  

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
12/14/20 10:47 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Yaaa....okaaaay....the Datsun finished where in the overall?

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Ykj4EXNT8O8pnsA8mQKlUf63whGPwsMOaHYwFQHEGjAvvXvJX9tnqAx4NZdNYAC