temick
temick
4/29/20 7:37 p.m.

Up to $1000 may be recouped by selling parts originally included with or attached to the Challenge car, related parts car(s), or related parts packages at the time of purchase. You may never recoup more than a part or car’s purchase price or fair market value (whichever value you listed on your budget sheet).

Ok can I buy two cars for $750 each with two separate transactions. Then swap some parts so sell one to recoup the $750 dollar cost of the remaining car and be back at $0.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/29/20 7:44 p.m.

As I read that you would not be at $0 overall.  You buy car A for $750 and car B for $750.  You take parts off car A and make car B better.  If you sell car B for $750 as you still have a budget of $750 for car A.  

Now you buy car A for $750 and car B for $750.  You take good parts off car B and make car A faster.  You then either sell car B for $750 or part it out for $750.   Still have a budget of $750 for car A but car A is better than before.

Either case you have used $750 of your $1000 in recovery and can recover another $250.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/20 10:43 p.m.

Ok I am interested in this but I thaught that the following would apply. 

If you did two separate transactions for two cars and then Used a good part off one car to replace a part on the challenge car I thought  you would have to claim that part at FMV in the challenge car. If you got both cars as a single transaction (for less than the challenge maximum) then you can move parts back and forth all you want and then sell off some or all of the parts car and take that and apply it to the recoup against the total spent on the single purchas of the two cars. 

Is this correct?  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/9/20 11:22 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

You buy Challenge car A and parts car B.  They can be bought as one group or two separate transactions.  Car B is considered a parts car and can donate parts to car A.  Figuring out how you want to write the receipts for the two cars is a skill called Challenge Math.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tgnvPMHhmFKbPqdzjGmUCK0sTB0nu0tp2whR5lNVU3ffVGY731i1nNWnHTCAgb1N