1 2
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/23 8:50 p.m.
frenchyd said:

Nope.  
  I'm pulling a Jaguar with a Jaguar. Well just because. 
  I could take the cheap way and pull it with the truck.  $650-700.  
   Now I might be wrong. On my estimated fuel mileage  but I'd hate to get 1/2 there and run out of money. 

So you're planning on around 5 mpg.  I'm sorry but I'm done here.  I'll check back in May 2025 and see how you're doing.  SMH.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/2/23 9:49 p.m.
Stampie said:
frenchyd said:

Nope.  
  I'm pulling a Jaguar with a Jaguar. Well just because. 
  I could take the cheap way and pull it with the truck.  $650-700.  
   Now I might be wrong. On my estimated fuel mileage  but I'd hate to get 1/2 there and run out of money. 

So you're planning on around 5 mpg.  I'm sorry but I'm done here.  I'll check back in May 2025 and see how you're doing.  SMH.

Oh , I forgot to mention the Jaguar I'll use requires premium which last I looked was $4.49/9 

That was the reason I was asking about carbs vs EFI.   If I do that I can use E85 which will hurt fuel mileage by about 20% but costs for E85 is $2.39/9 vs $4.49/9   
       The advantage of much cooler running  is a potential for some more timing advance  which might increase mileage  enough to reduce costs significantly. 
   I had all that thought out but failed to explain my thinking. 

You were right in that carbs are easy. I've got them, rebuild and bolt on 2 days tops. 
 EFI is do all the wiring.  Bigger injectors needed, higher fuel pressure required, Use a Megasquirt program a senor to detect % of alcohol  etc. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/3/23 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It's roughly 3000 miles round trip.  Premium gas ( required because stock compression is 11.5-1 , 12.5 in England) $4.49/9 a gallon this morning.    
  If you check the 1973 XJ12 returned 8-14 mpg.   I cut that in 1/2 because towing another Jaguar.   Cal it 6 mpg ?  
$2200 or close enough I won't argue the difference. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/23 11:44 a.m.

As a data point, driving my Toyobaru to the Challenge from Ontario and back on 93-octane took about $400 in gas.

(This included driving through SR68/Six Gap area on the way down, and spending a day farting around WV on the way back, so I probably could've got it down to $350)

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/8/23 3:24 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I understand driving a street car is going to be cheaper than towing a race car.  
     But what happens if it breaks or blows up?  Hence the trailer.   Sure I could make the trip with my Truck for a lot less ( about $700)  

But this is about fun.  I think it will be fun to pull a Jaguar race car with a Jaguar. Probably even more fun than the  10-15 seconds I'd have doing the drag race with the race car .  ( I'll turn it over to autocross experts for the autocross).  
     I don't know if I'll enter the Race car or the tow car.  The tow car cost me $500  plus a little effort to clean up, swap engines, and whatever a trailer hitch will cost me to weld up. So I can easily prove documentation. 

So I could get that judged  while the undocumented race car can't be judged.  The 1/4 mile time of the tow car should be 16.7 seconds. On up to a top speed of 150 mph. If it performs as well  as original.    And the autocross time with  stock tires and shocks will be right at the slowest time.  Especially if I drive it.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/23 11:37 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You'll get plenty of drag passes. If you're not going to drive any autocross runs yourself, I'll take dibs on one in whatever you bring cheeky Typically you get 3 pro autocross runs and you should have time for at least 6 runs total.

You could also enter the post-Challenge track day: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/grassroots-motorsports-track-day-at-firm-florida-intl-rally-msport-park-640230

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/9/23 12:16 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That is nice information. Thanks.   The track day sounds like a lot of fun.  
    As for multiple drag passes?    I'm not sure how eager I am to do that with the potential of only a  16.7 1/4 mile time.  Can I peel the sticker off and put it on the race car to  make a pass or two?  ;-)  There I'm pretty sure I'd probably improve with practice, unless they have pro drag racers.   
      As far as others driving the race car in the autocross?  Sure!!!  Have fun.   .  I suppose I'll have to drive it once to convince others it's OK. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ccw98cJEK6dXjtVpy685tEqndO1xC8NeioSBVIPwL0IA0732fSih0wTLuB3fGQo9