1 2
XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/7/17 5:00 p.m.

Merkur

CL Dude says: 1988 Merkur XR4Ti 5 speed, leather. Power windows, heated seats & sunroof. Alloy wheels. Front disc brakes. Rear wiper. Fog lamps. 135,7XX miles. Made in Germany by Ford. 2.3 turbo charged inline 4 cylinder backed by a 5 speed transmission. Independent rear suspension. Comes with the Rapido Dead Pedal, SVO PLUS Upgrade Kit & Rapido Intercooler. It also has a Sony CD player in dash and a CD changer in the trunk. HID headlamps. I added a roof mounted Focus antenna. I replaced the rear differential. While the rear end was out, I also replaced the CV boots and wheel bearings & seals. I cleaned & painted the subframe & rear floor pan. In the last 125 miles (all I've driven it) I replaced new Distributor TFI, rack boots, lower control arms, tie rod ends, aluminum radiator, restored alloy wheels, new Goodyear tires, wheel alignment and front rotors. Brakes are in good condition. Many other small parts replaced with good used from national Merkur suppliers. Driver's seat has minimal wear. No deep cracks. Carpets are nice. Has a set of factory floor mats. Dash is nice with minimal warping & cracking. This car runs & drives nice. I need to sell it to make space for another project car. It is fun to drive, quick & nimble. Estimated 195 HP and 14.5 second 1/4 mile.

Please call on weekends or evenings.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/7/17 5:50 p.m.

That's interesting....

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/7/17 6:14 p.m.

I've always wanted one. Nice color too!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/8/17 8:17 a.m.

One of the nicest I've seen. Instant Challenge car.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/8/17 8:32 a.m.

Oh that is awesome. Does it look insanely clean to anyone else? I don't think I've seen one that together for reasonable $ in 15 years.

Fupdiggity
Fupdiggity New Reader
1/8/17 8:37 a.m.
84FSP wrote: Oh that is awesome. Does it look insanely clean to anyone else? I don't think I've seen one that together for reasonable $ in 15 years.

I'm right there with you. Man that is tempting, good thing I'm house hunting and have nowhere to store a third vehicle.

Please someone on here buy this thing and bring it to the challenge!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
1/8/17 8:47 a.m.

I'd have to sell a Saab in order to make that one work.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/8/17 9:50 a.m.

I'd have to sell the Ranger. I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
1/8/17 9:55 a.m.

Pretty simple to ditch the rear drum brakes and replace with T-bird or Taurus calipers and discs. Swapping the T9 out for a T5 is also a popular upgrade.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
1/8/17 10:17 a.m.

Seriously nice. Turbo and brake upgrade and done.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Dork
1/8/17 12:28 p.m.

I saw the price and thought "That better be the nicest damn Merkur in the country"

Tom_Spangler
1/8/17 1:40 p.m.
BoostedBrandon wrote: I saw the price and thought "That better be the nicest damn Merkur in the country"

I disagree. I've been casually looking, and compared to this, or this, or this, or this, or this, it looks like a pretty good deal.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/17 1:49 p.m.
Sil80redtop wrote: Swapping the T9 out for a T5 is also a popular upgrade.

And apparently now is the time. He's updated the ad to drop the price to an even $1,000 because he says the transmission went out on a test drive.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop HalfDork
1/8/17 2:01 p.m.

In reply to psteav: Bad timing for the seller. I think most buyers probably would've gone T5 eventually. Rock Auto has the turbo coupe/SVO T5 flywheel for like $45, and clutches from $65-112.

Tom_Spangler
1/8/17 2:03 p.m.

OK, I'm giving this serious thought. I have a garage vacancy, some spare cash, a trailer, and I'm about 3.5 hours away. But I don't really want another project right now, and I have a bad case of 944 fever.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/8/17 3:20 p.m.

Classicjackets HAD a Type 9 trans.

GPz11
GPz11 Reader
1/8/17 5:35 p.m.

Damn, that does look clean! Not that I need another one.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/17 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Gus says you should do it:

You should probably listen to him...

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
1/8/17 6:29 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Classicjackets HAD a Type 9 trans.

Still have a clutch/pp. Transmission went with the car to a lemons racing team in north Carolina..

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/17 10:27 a.m.

Damn. Anyone dragging a trailer to FL anytime soon?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/9/17 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Spangler, you better have already sent a note to the guy. Following lunch last week this has you written all over it. Either that of get your negotiation Mojo up and call o n the $5k one in Howell.

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
1/9/17 12:26 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: OK, I'm giving this serious thought. I have a garage vacancy, some spare cash, a trailer, and I'm about 3.5 hours away. But I don't really want another project right now, and I have a bad case of 944 fever.

Bring it to GA and go home with my 944......

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
1/9/17 1:05 p.m.

I have a good T9 with a short shifter if that helps...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/9/17 6:53 p.m.

The posting's down. As Tom hasn't texted me asking if I'm free this weekend I assume it hasn't gone to him.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
1/9/17 7:52 p.m.

Side note. It now has been resisted with a bad trans for 1k...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gh3lJdcjTe7KW3edqMrsOxSZC9anYr6w9zHHxhk3IdGVOOTUZEt7HGrdwqoQB8Bl