petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/28/08 11:07 p.m.

Kinda o/t - but I know this is a diverse group!

I've finally decided to clear out my large model RR collection from childhood. I've found a 1974 Bug I want, so I'd prefer cash...though I'm certainly open to automotive trades as well. Hundreds of pieces, over 20 boxes(will easily fill a pickup bed). We owned a model RR hobby shop when I was a kid, some of this was my personal collection, other is leftover inventory(the store closed in the mid-80's). After all these years I've come to the realization that I'm never going to do anything with it(except move it around from place to place...), and my kids aren't interested in it either. Most of it is HO scale, but there's one box of N, and a couple pieces of O-gauge as well. Some old books/magazines/catalogs, a few mugs/belt buckles/patches.

Here's a link to the craigslist ad with a few pictures. They only show about 1/2 of what's there, I do have a few more pics, but there's just way too much stuff to photograph it all. $700

craigslist ad

Edited -- Don't forget the http:// if you want the link to work. -- admin

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
6/30/08 8:08 a.m.

I hate to say this, but you are probably money-wise best off selling it on ebay; piece-by-piece.

Of course, your beetle will be long gone............

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/30/08 10:02 a.m.
pete240z wrote: I hate to say this, but you are probably money-wise best off selling it on ebay; piece-by-piece.

He's right about selling it all piece by piece on ebay.

Jack

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/30/08 1:04 p.m.

+1. that stuff brings crazy money. certainly enough to buy a different bug, and probably a nicer one. unless this is the very same bug you got your first piece of heaven in, i'd recommend taking the time to ebay everything piece by piece unless you've got complete sets still in OE packaging. photograph and sell maybe 10 pieces per week to start, then ramp it up or down as the market dictates.

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
6/30/08 5:06 p.m.

My dad is sitting on stuff he collected back in 1955-1960. I used to spend the days after Christmas going to Woolworth's with him to get the HO railroad stuff 1/2 price.

All of it was never used and is sitting in the original boxes. Hopefully one of the other non-ebay kids will get it.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/08 8:28 p.m.

I've thought about ebay, last time I looked(late last year), the 80's HO stuff didn't really bring that much - a buck or two per RR car, $5-$20 per locomotive. Granted, that would still likely net more than selling the whole collection, but I'm not really sure it's worth my time/effort.

The only thing special about this bug is it's an un-molested, solid, sub-$1k bug, which is pretty rare around these parts. It also comes with a really cool/skanky set of old Empi Supersprint wheels, which are probably worth 1/2 the asking price even in present condition.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
7/1/08 1:37 p.m.

well if you had "S" guage American Flyer stuff.......maybe we could talk.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BTEhsP34OJ9oCsdU8fEEu1ZNi4l1Q7oKBiBRVAIZ5VIbEwQhgA50hrteXyh6GEk2