Powar
Powar SuperDork
7/10/15 10:08 a.m.

1969 SAAB 96V4 DeLuxe

$2015

Shepherdsville, KY

49k miles

It runs. It drives. I don't need it any more.

I've had this car since June of 2007. I bought it on eBay in Salt Lake City, UT, bought a couple of plane tickets, then drove it home 1650 miles to KY. The car had 41k miles on it at the time. Here's a photo from the trip:

It is now up to ~49k. I'd have to look to get an exact number. The odometer hasn't rolled over. The car sat at a ski resort in Park City, UT for many years. The previous owner (who ran a shop in Bountiful, UT) bought it and made it roadworthy for his stepson to drive to school.

Over the years I've redone the engine, trans, brakes, radiator, fuel tank, wheels, tires, exhaust, seats, radio, etc. The exhaust is Jetex and it sounds great.

The engine is a 1.7 from my '72 95V4. The heads were rebuilt in 2000 or so with hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel. The transmission was supposedly rebuilt at the same time. I have no reason to doubt either, as they both work fine. I'll include the original 1.5L V4 engine and transmission with the sale of the car. It still ran and the trans worked, but it leaked badly from just about every seal thanks to sitting for so long.

The car has a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion- one of the best upgrades I've ever done to any car. It also has a Weber single barrel 34ICH carb. It could use a bit more dialing in and linkage tinkering, but the car is driveable as-is. I've taken it to a couple of local cruises as it sits. The Weber seems to have added power AND economy. That was nice.

The radio is poorly installed junk but works. We hurriedly installed it before an 18-hour roadtrip to Carlisle a few years ago. The speakers are mounted below the rear seat and work fine.

The seats are stock 'mouse fur' from an '81 900 Turbo. They look and function like they were meant to be in this car. They're a lot more comfortable than the stockers, too.

I put a new water pump on it a couple of months ago. It was an OE replacement Meyle. I also converted the car to an '80ish 900 alternator. This simplified the wiring, increased voltage output, and eliminated the external voltage regulator.

The wheels are slightly wider than stock and were refinished by me a few years ago. The tires are Falken Ziexs and work very well under this chassis.

The car has rusty doors on it, but a set of rust-free doors are included in the sale. The ones on the car are not original and I don't know why they were replaced. It has a spot of rust in the a-pillar on the passenger side. This should not be structural, as these cars have integrated roll protection under that layer of metal. The floors are solid. The trunk subfloor (spare tire well) has rust around the perimeter. For someone who welds, it should be a straightforward fix. I don't. There is also rust popping up where the paint has worn through or failed, including around the trim mounting holes on the sides of the car. You'll see what I mean in the pics. Speaking of which:

The door panels are junky but the seats rock socks:

The heart of the beast:

I can pull it out and take any pictures that you'd like. The car is what it is. It honestly pains me to do this, but I've had my fun with it and put less than 10k miles on it in 8 years. It's time to let someone else enjoy it and take it to the next level.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon SuperDork
7/10/15 4:07 p.m.

Sadness. Good luck with the sale.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
7/12/15 8:43 a.m.

Love it.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
7/13/15 1:14 p.m.

Thanks, dudes. It's just time to move on. We just have too many cars to properly enjoy them all. I'm working on that problem.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/13/15 1:38 p.m.
Powar wrote: Thanks, dudes. It's just time to move on. We just have too many cars to properly enjoy them all. I'm working on that problem.

I know what you mean... unfortunately, it also means I can't really add yet another to the fleet right now. Unfortunately, it's not one of your old 95's or I'd send it to my ex-, although she has an extreme aversion to rust of any kind.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
7/15/15 9:07 a.m.

I'll go OBO on the price. I really don't want to deal with the general public, and one of you crazies has to have something cool you could do with it.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
7/15/15 9:16 a.m.

In reply to Powar:

You mean like restore it. I'd love to but I'm lowering my fleet numbers due to sitting projects. If I had the time I'd look for a 93 2-stroke for my mom. It was her first car. Cool, eh?

Powar
Powar UltraDork
7/15/15 9:19 a.m.
markwemple wrote: In reply to Powar: You mean like restore it. I'd love to but I'm lowering my fleet numbers due to sitting projects. If I had the time I'd look for a 93 2-stroke for my mom. It was her first car. Cool, eh?

Restoration is what this car deserves, IMO, but I'm not the sort of person who would or wouldn't sell a car to someone based on their plans for it. Stock looking with a V4 bike motor? Sure.

That's awesome about your mom's first car. 93s are pretty thin on the ground, but they're out there.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
7/15/15 9:33 a.m.

Yeah, my mom and her 93, dad and his bugeye and mother in law and her mini. Unfortunately my father in law doesn't have a cool car in his history. But, the first 3 would make for a cool garage!

markwemple
markwemple Dork
7/15/15 9:34 a.m.

Hey, you wanna trade plus cash for my bugeye project??

markwemple
markwemple Dork
7/15/15 9:34 a.m.

And I'm guessing you don't have any soccer balls for this.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
7/15/15 9:40 a.m.

It sounds like you come from a line of cool cars. I guess I do too, but they were all 'murrcan.

I'm not interested in trading for much of anything, but especially not another project.

I do have a set of Soccerballs for this car and would throw them in with the car for... not a lot of money.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
7/15/15 9:50 a.m.

If my car was together and I was insane I'd be asking about a swap. I love the V4 cars more than the 2 stokes. So my fun to be had with that.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/15 12:30 p.m.

For some reason I've been unable to convince my dad that he needs this. Claims he doesn't have time projects. I thought project cars and other fun things were the whole point of retiring, no?

Powar
Powar UltraDork
7/16/15 4:16 p.m.

Sale pending.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
7/16/15 5:07 p.m.
Powar wrote: Sale pending.

To a GRM'er?

Powar
Powar UltraDork
7/16/15 5:08 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Powar wrote: Sale pending.
To a GRM'er?

Not this time.

Powar
Powar UltraDork
8/10/15 8:54 a.m.

Goodbye, old friend.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/15 9:11 a.m.

You must realize, of course, that yesterday, for the first time, I typed "SAAB 96" into the Craigslist search bar...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/10/15 9:47 a.m.
Woody wrote: You must realize, of course, that yesterday, for the first time, I typed "SAAB 96" into the Craigslist search bar...

Only until you learn what a 95 is .......

You're welcome.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/10/15 9:59 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

Oh I know what they are. I have Saab books that are written in Swedish on my shelf. I'm just not a wagon guy.

randyracer
randyracer New Reader
8/11/15 9:55 p.m.

Way too much tongue weight, shoulda backed it on. Grrreat car and good deal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sPYfYiGRCaEuQNkE1M0CtYhqboF5y9NGkZk5QjQV4WkhIEP1sZPuE5943Q9QaJRS