TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/22/22 1:42 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter)
4/22/22 1:45 p.m.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
4/22/22 1:49 p.m.

Single cam with an automatic, and all he did for "performance" was take the lightweight plastic skins off it?

Go get it, "John's Metals"

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 3:24 p.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

If he was asking 2500, like current asking prices go, I'd agree. But for 250? Prolly good fun/$. 

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
4/22/22 3:28 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I just picked up a twin cam for my step daughter for $1300.  Clear title, able to be street driven.

And it has all of its body panels.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

Nice looking car, for a great price. I don't know enough about the two engines to know about desirability. I do know that I could afford a $250 toy to just play, easier than a 1300 one that was a few tenths faster. 
For a DD, I would want the body panels, and granted no panels ain't helping a bit for performance, but it ain't being advertised as a DD. 
BTW my comment on todays normal advertising prices stands - I just made the 2500 up by moving a decimal place, for convenience. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/22/22 6:04 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Single cam is a fuel sipping slug, and, at least with a manual trans, has taller ratios so it's even less fun.

The twin cam makes it a decently fun little car.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
4/22/22 8:32 p.m.

If it runs for 1 good weekend of shenanigans before getting sold for scrap, its worth it. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 9:51 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

If it runs for 1 good weekend of shenanigans before getting sold for scrap, its worth it. 

That's my thought, and if the trip to get it didn't cost more than the car, I'd be in for that!

Jon. Just for curiosity sake, with the single cam, and AT, any hop up stuff to do short of engine swap? Or is it kinda like hopping up a 305?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/22/22 9:57 p.m.

Its way, way worse than a 305.

At the absolute best that thing will make about the stock power level of a DOHC car, which was decent back in the day, but kind of a joke now.  Unlike the 350 swap, you can go to any junkyard, grab a DOHC engine and manual trans for pennies and basically everything drops right in.

And then you have... an insanely crappy saturn with a terrible drag coefficient.

The single cam sips fuel not by any technological means.  If your engine doesn't make any power, it doesn't burn much fuel.  Its that simple.  The DOHC is better in every conceivable way.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
4/22/22 11:31 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Thanks. I didn't know if the engines would interchange. 

Just a thought excersize  surprise

man's even with real hp, that hack job would still be a pos. But at 250, a pos can be a fair bit of fun. 
Aside from an engine swap, is their any hp on the table for that anemic sohc? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/23/22 2:04 p.m.

DOHC Head swap.  Other than that it would just be intake and exhaust,

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy PowerDork
4/23/22 2:36 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

NO2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tthdHEbY1QVPiFDJW8yCFMm0buuOwzaO8uFEi456toZvrb3IVt25IQ3vZZtJUyU4