Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
3/26/21 5:40 p.m.

First off...sorry for the book again!  It appears impossible for me to write a short question!  But I trying to included as much info about the situation as I'd guess you guys might request?

I've gone over the non charged parts question before with you all.  But this Wednesday's trip to the yard was not very fruitful, parts wise, and also unusual on the wallet as well!

I always use my credit card for all my junkyarding, both entry fees and checkout.  Mostly for travel related points gathering and for bookkeeping in general.  Especially since I started pulling and selling used auto parts while without work last year.

On my last trip to the junkyard at the sign in/entry window, their credit card machine had thrown a check engine light or something and it was non op.  They pointed me to the checkout window and said that I could use that one.  So I waited in line at check out, and once at the window, informed them I was there to pay for my entry.  The guy at the window said "you're good" and waved me into the yard.  I said "you sure" he replied "yup" I said thanks and I went in.

I was mainly there to pull a bunch of small parts.  Like factory Mercedes clamps, because they have really good quality hose clamps.  I know...I'm weird!  While removing these clamps from numerous vehicles, I spotted a small 12 volt pump near the passenger chassis rail.  It appears to be used as part of the heater system?  I thought that it might be useful in my project and grabbed it.  Plus on that pump was a heater hose with 2 different sized ends, another potential help when stuck in a weird spot?  At a Merc SUV there was another very similar 12v pump and it's hose did a Y at the firewall, so I grabbed that pump and it's hoses too.  I also grabbed a replacement engine block bracket to replace the one that I sold off of my Challenge car engine already.  I was about out of time and I proceeded to check out.

I got to check out at 5:50, they close at 6:00, I was 3rd or 4th in line.  When the employee marking parts got to my wheelbarrow, he asked "what cha got", showed him the hose clamps, and the 2 small pumps with their hoses and that small metal bracket.  He said "that's it", and then said "have a nice day", I said thank you sir and headed out to my car.

They usually don't charge me for misc hoses and clamps.  But I don't know what the normal charge would be for the small 12v pumps?  But the normal charge for the small metal brackets there is $6.00.

I do plan to use the metal block bracket on this years challenge car, and possibly one of those 12v pumps too.  How would you suggest that I account for these items on the budget sheet?

This, as covered in earlier questions from me in this forum, usually only happens when making large purchases and they skip some of the smaller items at checkout.  As stated by others on here, they would not be free without the larger parts purchased!  But there was no purchase this time!

Or if I had paid the normally $3.00 entry fee, than I'd use the entry fee amount to budget the non charged parts at checkout, as stated in the rules.  But neither of these are applicable in this case?

Please let me know your thoughts.  I'm not trying to "get away with" anything here!  Just a new situation that I experienced this week and thought I'd ask the others on here!

I just want to be transparent in my transactions and on my budget sheet!

Thanks for your time!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/21 5:49 p.m.

I don't pay entry to my yard because of membership card.  For the 2019 Challenge Pat needed a factory battery hold down for his Mercedes.  I walked in and 2nd row found the car.  Took 30 secs with a 10mm socket iirc.  At check out she said the same things as yours "You're good.  Have a nice day."  It was free to budget.  Would have been freely available to anyone and I'm sure she wasn't giving it to me because I'm cute as hell.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/26/21 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Catch22 :

Luck happens-sounds like no budget hit for the 2 pumps, hoses and clamps.

You have great taste in hose clamps and I think the 12v pump is to circulate heated water to the heater core before the t-stat opens up.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I'm sure she wasn't giving it to me because I'm cute as hell.

It's the beard!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/21 7:12 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I used to tell people that I grew my beard to keep women away.  If a woman fell in love with me bearded then that meant she loved me for the true me and not the cute face I was hiding.  Sadly I can't find a woman bearded or not.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/26/21 8:11 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

I used to tell people that I grew my beard to keep women away.  If a woman fell in love with me bearded then that meant she loved me for the true me and not the cute face I was hiding.  Sadly I can't find a woman bearded or not.

I can see how that would be difficult. I have encountered a few bearded women, but they are uncommon.

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
3/27/21 9:17 a.m.

Thank you for the replies!  Sorry for the book of a question again.

I'll note the parts, as usual, on my legal pad.  Then I can add it to the budget sheet if they are used on the car.

I too am a fan of the bearded ladies!!!

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
3/28/21 11:11 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

In reply to Catch22 :

Luck happens-sounds like no budget hit for the 2 pumps, hoses and clamps.

You have great taste in hose clamps and I think the 12v pump is to circulate heated water to the heater core before the t-stat opens up.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I'm sure she wasn't giving it to me because I'm cute as hell.

It's the beard!

Thanks CrustyRedXpress for the info on the function of the 12v pump in the Merc's!  I was trying to figure out the use/need in that setup.  But, if used on my challenge build, it will have a different fluid cycling function!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wIpfGVohMMtflkuHvbkhk08Sm2xXwWMlaCVzsJfeg75muBAxk7J3lbTBb2LG2DpR