Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/9/19 3:33 p.m.

I'm developing the livery for my challenge car, and would like know if I can incorporate my car number in the design with the vinyl I plan to apply to the car.  Or alternatively, will I be required to use the large white number pad?

I've seen examples of both in photos of past challenge cars.  Please advise and thanks.

(pics of examples)

Number designed into the livery:

Large white number panel:

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/19 3:39 p.m.

GRM will provide required number panels and other decals to all entrants. If a sticker is included in your competitor packet at check-in, then it is required to be present on your car for the duration of competition. GRM reserves the right to require that competing companies’ decals be removed or covered during the event.

#letmerulesthatforyou

But for real, in the past I thought there was language that said you could contact grm for an exemption here in advance if you have a plan. I'd recommend trying that.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/9/19 3:54 p.m.

Sorry, but we've done away with any number panel exemptions. It wasn't fair to the other participants, and made things tough for timing and scoring. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/9/19 8:18 p.m.

Welp, I was about to buy the number panels just for E36 M3s and giggles, so I guess I'll just wait until I get one provided to me laugh

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/19 8:44 p.m.

Mine are on magnets, which is why i register early every year so i can be ensured of keeping my number.  (I was planning to ask for an exemption this year because the number panels are going to be so out of place on my car but since it’s no longer a thing i guess i can’t)

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/9/19 9:09 p.m.
Patrick said:

...... the number panels are going to be so out of place on my car .......

This.  The panels appear to be very tall.  They might actually be too tall to fit completely on my door. 

Tom, can they be shortened? I know Bugzilla wore a shorter version one year.

Also can the panels be placed on the rear quarter panel, or is the placement dictated to be on the door?

Edit to add pic of shortened panel:

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/9/19 9:38 p.m.

They’ll be shorter this year, don’t worry. Not sure why they’ve been so tall in years past. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/9/19 9:41 p.m.

Good thing I saw this thread, I thought about doing a Rote Sau mock livery but that won't jive with the required number panels so I guess I won't be doing that.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/9/19 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

I think that could still look good, even with square instead of round number panels.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/9/19 9:48 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I'm not seeing it, I might mess with some photoshop later and see what I can some up with.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/19 10:05 p.m.

I cut mine down on the magnets 

In years past they basically went from my door glass down to the black line above the rocker panel 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/10/19 8:27 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

They’ll be shorter this year, don’t worry. Not sure why they’ve been so tall in years past. 

Tom,

As soon as the details are nailed down, can you post the actual dimensions of the panel?  Also, can the panel be on the rear quarter panel or rear door (if a four door car?)

Maybe have an optional round number panel for cars going with a more vintage livery? or maybe I'm just over thinking this.  (Just trying to put together a car that will photograph well, and increase the concours score.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wh2b0ziK7CueAeIamAE7Voo87RdhyO9JdEg3bgQbcmOsvC2cnhTyyGcBWVSeZOHV