1 2 3 4 5
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
5/14/20 6:53 p.m.

The solution to My hood clearance issue showed up today. An LS1 Intake from an f bodycamaro ss. 

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/14/20 10:52 p.m.

Nice.

I know the truck intakes are taller (longer runners for more low end torque?), do the car intakes shift the power range?

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
5/15/20 12:00 a.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve (FS) :

Short answer yes. Unfortunately this intake makes the least amount of power of any stock ls intake. The truck intake made 12 more hp and tq emwhen hotrod magazine did an intake manifold shootout. However the test motor was a 6.0 now will it effect the 4.8 more, less, or the same? Im not sure. But it was a give and take to be able and run the hood, and its a sweet hood. Im thinking ahead for good pictures and concourse score. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
5/28/20 9:07 p.m.

Finally made it around to watching your video putting the engine in. With the Turbo 400 there is so much room. Makes me regret trying to shove my 4l80 down the RX7s tunnel. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
6/4/20 11:24 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

I honestly had no idea what to expect. But I did know that the T56 and the Turbo 400 share the same mount and very similar mount location so I figured it would be easy to make a trans mount. I am actually doing that today after work.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
6/5/20 8:20 a.m.

Well here is a longer post. Yesterday went back to the shop to make my trans mount finally. I wanted to be able to unbolt it and use the factory trans mount locations. So i started designing peice by peice using ronin speedworks t56 mount as a rough idea for what i was going to do. Got it all tacked in and then unbolted it all and welded it up. It works like a charm! So now its onto making the driveshaft (the c4 driveshaft i have is about 5inches too short) so ill either lengthen what i have or use on of my 4 factory mustang driveshafts that are worthless and shorten it. See pics below for process and final product. I have a youtube video on it ill post soon. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/5/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

Nice!   That is very similar to how mine came out for the t5 in my rx7.  It held up for years and survived the 100 mph smash into a concrete wall.  I reused it on my new build.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
6/5/20 10:51 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

that makes me feel better! it flexes a little bit, but that was only when i hung my body weight off of it lol

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
6/6/20 8:23 a.m.

Here is the video/vlog of the mount being made. 

https://youtu.be/JaPeZratqqE

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
6/26/20 6:43 a.m.

Got a bunch of little stuff done today! Fuel system is done! Nitrous bottle mounted and the throttle body and intake are all finished up. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
6/27/20 2:07 p.m.

Got my drivesahft made and installed. Nitrous kit all but wired up, and a ton of other little things like the driveshaft loop, and the hood installed. Had to cut a small window for the throttle body, but it closes fine now! 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
7/24/20 10:32 p.m.

Some more progress on the drift missile. Made a plate and used the old egr location for my iat port. Got all of the wiring for the engine harness routed. And i got the factory rx7 throttle cable to work with some modification.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/15/20 10:25 a.m.

Well its been a while since i have given an update but, IT RUNS! i have yet to drive the car, i only started it to ensure i have a non trashed motor like i was told and that everything worked good enough to fire the motor. It is running off the used microsquirt i got and quite well if i do say so myself. 

Since then i have acquired a used/new C4 radiator, which fits perfectly once you cut the factory angled mounts out. this week (today) i am planning on welding a small 3 inch wide strip of steel i scavenged from the scrap bin to support the lower portion of the radiator, and then i will make something for the upper section. i have 2 electric fans that i got from a swap meet that i will use for the radiator and i will attch the trans cooler to the front of the ratiator as well. once this is hooked up i can finally add trans fluid and coolant and since i recently hooked up the shift cable, i should be able to drive it around the parking lot. 

The only major thing that needs to be adressed now is the brakes, since they dont work. My biggest fear is i will fill the master with fluid and every seal in the system will blow out. No telling how long its been since there was brake fluid in there. 

Secondly, all the wiring to make the car run is done, however i need to wire up the headlights, brakelights, and tailights. and lastly the nitrous. The brake lights are easy, and so is the nitrous, the head lights and tailights although easy, will be somewhat of a pain because its a lot of wiring, and i am almost out of scrap wiring i used from the factory body harness. 

I am pretty happy with how it has come out. there are some noticeable pieces that i splurged on given that i had the extra money to. The most obvious being the ICT billet alternator bracket. Although i made my own, i still needed to make an idler work with it and this kit from ICT is 100 bucks. I love this comapny and i had the money to spare so i went for it and glad i did. it bolts up like it came from the factory like that. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
9/16/20 7:34 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

Which exact kit is that from ICT? Might buy it because I don't need my alternator "turbo" sticking out of the hood. If I had any fabrication skills I'd stick a turbo on above the hood and run hood less. 

Edit: I'm going to go bolt something on my car so I feel like I've made progress

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/16/20 8:41 a.m.

You can probably chop and plastic weld a snout setup to allow the use of the cheapy 102 ebay Tbody's.  That would significantly reduce the suckage of that intake setup as it will really strangle that heavy breather.  I'm happy with the 102tbody I picked up even though it's made of chinesium.  Tuner recommended it and it was only 120 delivered for the DBW so have to assume the cable driven are even cheaper.  The intake is PA66 30% short glass so easy common stuff to plastic weld and chop on.  You can also dremel / roloc port it for much better results.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/16/20 12:25 p.m.
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/16/20 12:26 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

I know they sell a 3 bolt to 4 bolt adapter to run those TB. but im just going to stick with this for now, Im going to make my own ram air type intake and throw the nitrous nozzle in there. however for next year, things will change...

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/16/20 9:37 p.m.

just updated my budget sheet. i knew it was tight but yeesh. luckily there is about 250bucks in here i can easily recoup and another 120 in 1 single part i don't really need which i might ditch. that part is the manual ict billet belt tensioner. i will likely throw on the factory belt tensioner just to have that cushion back.

Time to get some of these parts sold.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/19/20 11:29 a.m.

Today was pretty awesome. I got the c4 radiator mounted, the fans mounted, trans cooler mounted, and started to cut up the oem silverado coolant hoses to make them work. 

This week as long as there are no major set backs, the car will finally be able to take for a drive! 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/22/20 8:47 a.m.

Well ladies and gents, yesterday this thing moved under its own power for the first time ever! 

albeit with some issues, but thats expected. Just some fuel leaks and a flat tire lol.

Here is to doing a burnout by the end of the week!

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/20 9:16 a.m.

Nice! That's a good feeling!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/22/20 9:29 a.m.

In reply to iansane (Forum Supporter) :

Oh yes, exceptional lol

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
9/23/20 8:47 a.m.

Well keeping with the tradition of last years budget build, this years build also caught on fire...

Luckily it was caught quick and i dont believe anything was hurt. Those fuel leaks i previously mentioned were the cause. I thought i got them all but didnt catch the leak on the bottom of the regulator leaking right on the driverside header. 

So hopefully friday and saturday will be dedicated to correcting these problems. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/20 8:50 a.m.

Ugh, that sucks!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xHUVzH0zcJWZwoCRPVJnMSmFO7SswqwW5Wx5ojlitDyUqUrrbgN46DDunu82Rrpc