TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
12/7/20 6:36 p.m.

Our $2019 Challenge - 2009 P71 Recently Ran in the Low 10's. 10.3 and 10.4's with a best of 10.06!

Now that I have your attention, these are 1/8 mile times.

MPH best of 70. Still some tire spin. We tested an internet tactic of putting a football inside of the right coil spring. It helped a little. It's a good entertainment factor and $10 discussion piece (UT footballs were on sale at half price).  Our open 3.27 rear isn't as fun as a 3.55 limited slip would be. As heavy as it is we'll go to a pair of drag radials mounted another set of stock wheels next.

Our Project P71 was built for the $2019 Challenge by two non profit organizations: Roll As You Are Inc and Paradox Teen Center. Due to COVID, we were not able to attend in $2020 but our hope is to return with a quicker P71 in 2021. 

COVID interrupted a lot of our planned 2020 Project P71 activities, and other than hitting a Cars N Coffee very early 2020 all else either was cancelled or we could not attend. I did get 3 kids out to a Knoxville Dragstrip Test N Tune in late October Friday night. They had a blast and look forward to more runs on "race tires". With a trunk full of Mt Dew, Yoo Hoo, Chips, and Beef Jerky and a basic tool kit we drove it on in.

Our P71 shifts strong but at full throttle it seems like a year before it shifts. It sounds like this is common prior to installing a shift kit or "J Mod" in the P71 realm. We have about $340 to play with in the $2000 budget yet.

10.06 made us happy. We expected mid 10's. Watching other stock P71's we've seen mid to high 10's/low 11's and ours has a few basic bolt ons on tweaks. 

Project P71 is driven 1 to 2 times a week and gets to take some students home typically after Friday nights. All of our stuff works, including the A/C and cruise control. Also our factory crappy radio.

Stopping at store or gas station we get asked a lot of questions and provide a lot of fun answers. Mostly, go build a car for $2K with a group of kids.

What a cool update. Got me with that hook in the title too. See you in 2021!

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
12/7/20 8:16 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

I knew you'd be the first to look!

We'd need a jet pack to run 10's in the 1/4

Catch22
Catch22 New Reader
12/7/20 9:00 p.m.
wheels777 said:

That was not funny!

I disagree...

I audibly laughed at that one!

Glad to see it's still being tweaked on!

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
12/12/20 10:54 a.m.

There is a P71 running 9's and 10's in the quarter with a Turbo LS

almost 8s with camerons SBE turbo LS Crown Vic - YouTube

If I was going to do a cheap p71 turbo build, I would get a different P71 than what we have now that isn't as "nice" and strip out as much weight as possible.  

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/12/20 11:43 a.m.

Huh.  I like donuts, and can do a wicked Tigger impersonation... laugh

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/12/20 12:11 p.m.

In reply to TIGMOTORSPORTS :

Nicely played!

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
12/12/20 4:40 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Donuts are fantastic. We happened to find the Sheriff Tig and Donut decal in with a group of others from the teen center skatepark. "Tig" became my nickname about 30 years ago after being shortened for "Tigger" as I had a bounce to my walk - tall/thin - with big eyebrows. But I lack the orange with black stripes.The bounce went away after back surgery.

Our P71 is heavy as it has the factory extra bracing and fire suppression system that came in the last years of the P71 fame. But ours does run on E85 - if we want to add NOS we have the benefit of running higher octane fuel for extra insurance. But if I stick to the goal of showing how to go bracket racing on a budget without needing alot of money to do it, we'll skip the spray and work on some other tweaks - and run premium unleaded. The pump E85 is inconsistent and that leads to inconsistent ET's. This car is also our display for our work.

Should we decide to get more crazy, another late model P71 may be in order for "track use only" (aka "Evil Spiderman" to one of our younger students).

I also have on target to build a student off road build. We are only 20 minutes from Winrock Park.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
12/17/20 6:58 a.m.

Hahaha, this is great. 

One of the most fun things I did with my students was a smooth underbelly. Your kids might like it too.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/17/20 1:41 p.m.

Trolled me as well. FWIW I used to dial 10.0 in my near stock 84 Rabbit GTI cool

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
5/4/21 6:42 p.m.

We are in the 9's, best at 9.80 72mph in the 1/8. Which is low 15's 1/4 speak.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/6/21 12:34 a.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS said:

We are in the 9's, best at 9.80 72mph in the 1/8. Which is low 15's 1/4 speak.

And 15's ain't shabby a-tall.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
utUaU5iDfZswoiqbAtTECugttcn0JNMk1YpmrkGF3dLv4dHMg1OUZrhQfBVCHtR2