AbsoluteText
AbsoluteText
9/14/20 9:34 a.m.

So, Im from a University that is attempting to take part in the 2000$ challenge for 2021. Weve got a big project ahead of us, since we are pretty much starting from nothing. But heres the situation. Our actual competition car is a 57 Nash Metropolitan which we aquired for free, from a local highschool where it was being used as a stage prop before we got it, we aquired it after they said they were just going junk it. Our plan it to take almost the entire front end of a honda civic (Engine, trans, and suspension) and fab it into the rear of the car. Im a little confused on the budgeting, so heres the questions. 

1. If we got the competion car (Nash) for free, and pay say 1000 dollars for the donor honda civic, and only use 400$ worth of parts from the civic, do we count the full 1000 in our budget or just 400 for what we used?

2. Do we count scrap price for the nash, or is it just 0$ from out budget?  Im kinda thinking FMV?

3. If buy some parts and they break, and we need to buy new ones, are the old and new parts included in the budget?

My apologies if these questions have been asked and answered before, I tried to look around for a while and read the rules several times over, but cant really make clear sense of things. So any help would be appreciated! Thanks and looking forward to taking part in this!

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/20 9:43 a.m.

1) Full $1000 but you can sell off up to $1000 in the extras to recoup the full purchase price.

2) I'd FMV it at scrap price but get 5 members to agree.

3)  Read the full rule but if something good breaks then you can replace no budget hit.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/20 2:33 p.m.

Stampie is correct.

re. point 2 above, if it was advertised to the public as free, then it's free.  if it was an insider thing where it was only available to you because you know a guy who knows a guy etc, then you have to FMV it.  i'd be OK with scrap price.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/14/20 2:46 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

1) Full $1000 but you can sell off up to $1000 in the extras to recoup the full purchase price.

Clarification on Stampie's point #1...

You can recoup up to $1000 from the extras, but ONLY extra parts that came with the $1000 parts car. 

If you got the Nash for free, you can't recoup any money from selling parts from it. 

You can only recoup up to the full purchase price of the car or part deal. You can't "make money" on a deal. 

So, if you pay $500 for the Nash and $500 for the Honda, you can recoup up to $500 from each. But if you pay $1000 for the Honda and $0 for the Nash, you can still recoup $1000, but it all has to come from the Honda. No recoup from the Nash. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SAzeycC3VTYiN4PxDRTIZSqy2xMf9t00QsEuH8fY4zcxQXa7WldXyeO2TQRhvfDt