1 2
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 10:20 a.m.

I bought this heterogeneous parts lot and these are what I think are FMV for them.  If you think I'm low on something let me know.  If you agree let me know also.

65 Mustang headlight bezels $50
65 Mustang front grill surround $50
65 Mustang front fenders $200
65 Mustang hood $100
65 Mustang front valence $50
65 Mustang radiator $50 x2
65 Mustang Power steering pump $20
Early Ford 289 short block not seized $300
Early Ford 289 heads $100 x2
Eldebrock intake for SBF $100
Custom Austrailian made adapter for SBF to W58 including clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate $500
W58 transmission $1200 x2
W58 bellhousing $200
Ford C4 aluminum bellhousing and transmission $200
65 Mustang coupe doors $200
65 Mustang front window regulators $100
65 Mustang front window glass $100
65 Mustang quarter window regulators $100
65 Mustang quarter window glass $100
Holly Double pumper Carb $200
82 Supra 14 inch wheels $100 x4
65 Mustang front clip 5 lug $500
82 Supra steering rack $50
82 Supra front brake calipers (NLA) $100 x2
82 Supra front hubs (NLA) $50 x2
82 Supra front subframe $100
65 Mustang A code body shell $1000
65 Mustang rear axle 5 lug $500
Nitrous kit including bottle $200
82 Supra front seats $200
Nissan Pulsar front seats $200
65 Mustang rear seat $100
65 Mustang trunk lid $100
65 Mustang trim $200
68 Mustang gas cap $30
82 Supra steering colum $100
65 Mustang front windshield $100
65 Mustang rear window $100
82 Supra LSD diff $500
82 Supra rear subframe $100
82 Supra headlight housings $100
65 Mustang taillights $50
65 Mustang gas tanks $50 x2
Custom drive shaft $100
82 Supra gage cluster $100
82 Supra front control arms $100 x2

I add that up to a total FMV of $10,700.

Thanks.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/5/23 10:53 a.m.

If you're going to play the troll game, first post a few high quality pictures of each individual item before we can make an assessment. Ive seen the condition of that car and many of these prices are way high.

But really, what was the point of this post?

Stampie
6/5/23 11:13 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

How about I cut them all in half?  The point is I need to place a value on the lot so that I can account for it in my budget.  I could take pictures of it all but at these prices is there anything you think is out of line?

65 Mustang headlight bezels $25
65 Mustang front grill surround $25
65 Mustang front fenders $100
65 Mustang hood $50
65 Mustang front valence $25
65 Mustang radiator $25 x2
65 Mustang Power steering pump $10
Early Ford 289 short block not seized $150
Early Ford 289 heads $50 x2
Eldebrock intake for SBF $50
Custom Austrailian made adapter for SBF to W58 including clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate $250
W58 transmission $600 x2
W58 bellhousing $100
Ford C4 aluminum bellhousing and transmission $100
65 Mustang coupe doors $100
65 Mustang front window regulators $50
65 Mustang front window glass $50
65 Mustang quarter window regulators $50
65 Mustang quarter window glass $50
Holly Double pumper Carb $100
82 Supra 14 inch wheels $50 x4
65 Mustang front clip 5 lug $250
82 Supra steering rack $25
82 Supra front brake calipers (NLA) $50 x2
82 Supra front hubs (NLA) $25 x2
82 Supra front subframe $50
65 Mustang A code body shell $500
65 Mustang rear axle 5 lug $250
Nitrous kit including bottle $100
82 Supra front seats $100
Nissan Pulsar front seats $100
65 Mustang rear seat $50
65 Mustang trunk lid $50
65 Mustang trim $100
68 Mustang gas cap $15
82 Supra steering colum $50
65 Mustang front windshield $50
65 Mustang rear window $50
82 Supra LSD diff $250
82 Supra rear subframe $50
82 Supra headlight housings $50
65 Mustang taillights $25
65 Mustang gas tanks $25 x2
Custom drive shaft $50
82 Supra guage cluster $50
82 Supra front control arms $50 x2

ralleah
ralleah GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/23 11:20 a.m.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if Stampie paid $xxx for the whole lot, those values are more about figuring out what percentage of that $xxx each represents?

Stampie
6/5/23 12:01 p.m.

In reply to ralleah :

You got it.  It's my best way of accounting for my purchase according ot 2024 rules.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/5/23 12:34 p.m.

Body shell feels light.  What exactly do you mean by "shell"?

Front seats are high on both.  Local yard has then for $65 each, and I pulled some Supra seats from them four or five years back.

Rest of the Mustang stuff I have no issues with, not commenting on anything non-Mustang

Stampie
6/5/23 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Shell would be the unibody minus other parts listed separately.  On the updated list I have the seats at $50 each or $100 for two.

Mr_Asa
6/5/23 12:58 p.m.

Remind me if it has a title?

If title, probably still a bit light.  If no title I'd be fine with it.

Stampie
6/5/23 1:03 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I have a title but kinda shady so I'd say for these purposes no title.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
6/5/23 1:09 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to ralleah :

You got it.  It's my best way of accounting for my purchase according ot 2024 rules.

Could you explain? I'm curious what the value/point is of itemizing a car as a parts lot, especially when both trades and recoup apply to a $2k combined max limit. Unless this is all a troll.  I do look at finding a good deal on something as being one of the most viable ways of creating a competitive entry under budget. Some people can engineer, weld, fabricate, etc. Others are good at hunting deals and negotiating prices. Play to your strengths.

maschinenbau
6/5/23 1:10 p.m.

Perhaps consider starting with eBay sold listings instead of dumping a bunch of random numbers here and hoping we'll agree with them all. The onus is on you, not us, to research and prove FMV. This just feels lazy and against the spirit of the Challenge. 

You paid one price for Suprang and everything it came with, right? Then all these parts are already accounted for and included in your Challenge budget. If this is about recoup, then you only get to recoup up to the purchase price of Suprang ($500 IIRC?), which you'll knock out with a handful of these items.

Mr_Asa
6/5/23 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Ok.  I have no concerns with the Mustang parts on your second cut-in-half price listing and the seats at your two-for-$100

Stampie
6/5/23 1:20 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha and maschinenbau :

Honestly the list started as me doing a FMV myself but hey if people want to agree then that works also.   The way I read the rules on hetrogenous lots if I buy $100 of different parts as a lot, I then FMV them all.  Say widget A is %10 of that lot.  So widget A is worth $10 in recoup to trade for whatever.

Stampie
6/5/23 1:22 p.m.

A part’s cost may be pro-rated by weight or quantity if from a homogeneous parts lot (example: zip ties, nuts and bolts, a box of 20 identical axle shafts, etc.), or relative retail value if it was purchased as part of a heterogeneous parts lot (all-you-can-carry sales, storage unit buyouts, garage cleanouts, etc.) Relative retail value is calculated as follows:

1. Assign and prove a fair market value to every part in the lot.

2. Add those fair market values together to calculate the total fair market value of the lot.

3. Express the fair market value of the part you are pro-rating as a percentage of the lot’s total fair market value.

4. Multiply the actual price paid for the lot by that percentage in order to determine the part’s relative retail value.

maschinenbau
6/5/23 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Smells like you are trying to argue that Suprang, a complete vehicle, is actually a parts lot, so you can pick and choose what to "buy" from your parts lot to lower your initial purchase price of the vehicle. This is teetering on the DBAD rule. 

The question is did you pay a separate price for the car and for the parts that came with it? Or was the whole package one price?

Stampie
6/5/23 1:38 p.m.

Whole package one price.

Looking at the pictures I missed the bumpers and forgot there was another c4 trans.  I'll add them to my list and car-part/ebay it all.

i have nothing to say on this topic.  read into that what you wish.

maschinenbau
6/5/23 1:54 p.m.

The way the rules are written, you could almost argue any car purchase is a "parts lot". Which most poeple would think is stupid and against the spirit of the Challenge. That section of rules doesn't say "car" it says "parts lot".

If you really want to separate out your "parts lot" by FMV percentage, then you should list the Suprang and whatever was attached to it as a single part of that lot. It should be the vast majority of the percentage. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/23 1:55 p.m.

What is really the difference between doing it this way and just buying a car and selling parts / trading parts from it?

I am still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the nuances of the challenge budget.

Stampie
6/5/23 2:00 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

The way the rules are written, you could almost argue any car purchase is a "parts lot". Which most poeple would think is stupid and against the spirit of the Challenge. That section of rules doesn't say "car" it says "parts lot".

If you really want to separate out your "parts lot" by FMV percentage, then you should list the Suprang and whatever was attached to it as a single part of that lot. It should be the vast majority of the percentage. 

You know I was just thinking the same thing.  I'll redo my list and then do a separate FMV post on Suprang.  I'm not going to be able to find any comps for that.

the way i see it, we can hypothesize all year long on trying to write a rule set that is perfectly aligned to everyone's opinion of everything, or we can go to the event and see if anyone shows up with a car that is so completely impossible that it must be protested.

AFAIK, no challenge car has ever been protested.

so, IMO, let everyone build to their understanding of the rules, and let's see what shows up.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/5/23 4:17 p.m.

If the accounting rules get any more convoluted new people won't be able understand them and won't come out to play. I still haven't got my head around the latest changes and I've been involved for years. I'll keep going by buying bits and sticking them on the zero value car.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 11:30 p.m.

The fact that I'm not in any of the recovery pictures means we need to cut the price in half, since I didn't charge any modeling fees.

The BMW diff in the picture was mine, though.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
6/6/23 9:15 a.m.

Having seen this thing in person, I don't see the big deal in calling this a pile of parts 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/6/23 9:24 a.m.

Last time many of us saw the Suprang it was a legitimate complete $20XX Challenge competitor car. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MYH7yFQLNBmHKPDCsX0fmjteS0BnRFzIOjRxCqoEH0pksQLPS201k0lvDUrdW36N