1 2 3 4 5
maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/28/20 7:40 a.m.

I would love to see another go at Radwood sub-class. 

Would be really cool if GRM could collaborate with Radwood and host a public car show concurrent with the Saturday concours. GRM cars in the pavilion, public cars in the lot. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/20 9:45 a.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

I would love to see another go at Radwood sub-class. 

Would be really cool if GRM could collaborate with Radwood and host a public car show concurrent with the Saturday concours. GRM cars in the pavilion, public cars in the lot. 

I'm not interested in Chevy's unless they are Citation X's. 

(turns out there actually is a Citation X - I mustve had that info squirreled away somewhere) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Citation

This is a long way of me saying I'd love a radwood subclass. I probably will not build a car for it unfortunately. But also having a real radwood event on saturday would be freaking awesome. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/20 10:19 a.m.

I should also say that it was noted at some point this year that the original subclass was 'aristocrat', and since then aristocrat still brings 5 + cars every year. 

This year we counted a 300C, GS430, LS400, Impala SS, and Saab 9-5 wagon. I could also make an argument for the 2 BMW 5 series, Ford Fairmont, and Toyota Avalon. 

Subclasses are the most fun when there are a lot of entries. And Aristocrat still pulls entries. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/28/20 11:18 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I should also say that it was noted at some point this year that the original subclass was 'aristocrat', and since then aristocrat still brings 5 + cars every year. 

This year we counted a 300C, GS430, LS400, Impala SS, and Saab 9-5 wagon. I could also make an argument for the 2 BMW 5 series, Ford Fairmont, and Toyota Avalon. 

Subclasses are the most fun when there are a lot of entries. And Aristocrat still pulls entries. 

I'd argue that radwood pulls almost by default with the amount of mustangs, c4 corvettes, miatas and camaros that tend to crop up. Not to mention a good portion of the aristocrats would have crossed right over. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
10/28/20 1:11 p.m.

I have no idea when I'll be able to return, so I have no plans yet. I don't think radwood got a very good shot though, and I wouldn't be upset to see that revisited. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
10/28/20 3:39 p.m.

Bonus points if anyone brings an Aristocrat Radwood Wagon next year. Let's make the subclasses stack like merit badges. cheeky

I was 100% about to pull a trigger on a pair of T3 turbos when I realized that I still may have the transmission go into "snow" mode so instead I have invested $524 on a replacement ECU with a NA tune, transmission, shift point recall and a few other features so $h!tbarge has no more issues at launch. I will also be replacing the cobbled up exhaust with a real 2.5" exiting at about the same spot. This does leave room in the budget for a sniff of the giggly gas if the right kit comes along. 

Oh yeah, and a set of real tires.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/28/20 8:10 p.m.
slowbird said:

Bonus points if anyone brings an Aristocrat Radwood Wagon next year. Let's make the subclasses stack like merit badges. cheeky

I'm a wagon nut from way back... what is a Aristocrat Wagon? I'd love to pull off a wagon, but all the ones I like are WAY too expensive these days.

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/28/20 8:36 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Certain big Volvo's, mercs, things like that. Of course, this being challenge, one could get creative and turn just about any standard "aristocrat" into a wagon. Hammer store welder and a couple angle grinders...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/28/20 9:04 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to 03Panther :

Certain big Volvo's, mercs, things like that. Of course, this being challenge, one could get creative and turn just about any standard "aristocrat" into a wagon. Hammer store welder and a couple angle grinders...

What about turning a wagon into an aristocrat?

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/28/20 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Sounds like a good way to party! Leather and sound proofing, compliant suspension, quiet exhaust. Easy. 

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/28/20 10:35 p.m.

I've got a 300SD on the property can be had for less than the diesel in it is worth. Not a wagon, but if anyone wanted the heavy thing with all the known rust issues, its available. The blue leather interior is still in decent shape.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/28/20 11:13 p.m.

I would vote for Land Barge as a class soon, they are going up in value so if it's gonna happen, it should be soon

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/29/20 5:42 a.m.

I'm gonna bring a running car. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/29/20 8:16 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm gonna bring a running car. 

They all say that..................

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
10/29/20 8:35 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Okay, it's been a couple of days since the challenge has finished.  What's in the plans for next year? 

I'm thinking, I could bring the Impala back if it stays under budget, but would rather not.  Hoping Curtis73, wae, or Jerry enter and I can tag along with them.  Failing that, I'm tempted to go with this year's original plan - get a cheap, light car, gut it, and throw nitrous and tires at it.  I also realized, if I am willing to take the $400 or so recoup hit, I have a zero budget 305/700R4 that is coming out of my S10 at some point.  Maybe I should look for a TPI C4 with a blown transmission, and show up with a vettekart.

I really want to bring the new-to-me Miata, Red 5.  Thinking I could score points on the Concours with a Star Wars theme.  Have to make sure all the silly stuff I've done to it is still under $2k, I think it is actually.  But I'm more considering a trailer, Dayton OH to FL on cheap coilovers doesn't sound fun to this 53 (54 by then) year old man.

In reply to Jerry :

Trust me, trailer.

Oh lort it was so nice to know that if I broke the $h!tbarge I was still getting home.

wae
wae UberDork
10/29/20 10:56 a.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) Forum Supporter said:

In reply to Jerry :

Trust me, trailer.

Oh lort it was so nice to know that if I broke the $h!tbarge I was still getting home.

Also, while it was very pleasant to have the top down the whole way there and back, NA Miatas are not really the most comfortable way to spend 12 hours of your life.

So I had to move a bunch of e36m3 around to make room for the winter fun and decided I had enough time to recalibrate the YAW and DSC sensors and do a quick wiring hack on the switch controller on $h!tbarge. 

100% power on launch. 

While, yes, it's a week late and a long trip short I am actually taking it all in as a positive. I expected a 25th place car. I took 23rd. I expected it to break. It was a ludicrous blast to drive once it was moving. I expected to hate the car. I fell in love with my Dad Bod Hot Rod.

New ECU is being prepped and will arrive in three weeks. Shopping list now includes a wet nitrous kit, a set of drag radials and a set of Hoosierdaddys.

To 2021!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/20 9:27 a.m.

My 2021 class idea:

Stimulus class. $1200, no recoup, road legalish (body panels and lights). There'd be overlap with radwood of course. 

It'd also leave $800 in the budget +recoup available for the builds to evolve into something to compete in overall in 2022 and beyond. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/30/20 4:50 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Stimulus class is fantastic!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/30/20 5:28 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

My 2021 class idea:

Stimulus class. $1200, no recoup, road legalish (body panels and lights). There'd be overlap with radwood of course. 

It'd also leave $800 in the budget +recoup available for the builds to evolve into something to compete in overall in 2022 and beyond. 

Sounds roughly like an amalgamation of gastropod and half price class. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/20 5:48 p.m.

How about $1200 cap with unlimited recoup and $1200 max on any purchase?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/20 7:17 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

How about $1200 cap with unlimited recoup and $1200 max on any purchase?

1200 was a one time thing, monthly checks were $375 from the state and $600 federal.

How about a one time $1200 with unlimited recoup and either the state or federal for max purchases?

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/30/20 8:57 p.m.
monthly checks were $375 from the state and $600 federal.

To those that got that, you're welcome. If you are working again, can I have some of that back?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q6Yj0psnvxUsHERiAHWHsKH0cwbosE1jIjdlSOrat8MNAbPBCloF7snoSZqXi1Lq