1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/25/19 11:46 p.m.

In reply to bigben :

Nice fix! That's the epitome of grassroots motorsports.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/19 6:44 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

One of the drivers of the skyline told me it's an exhibition class car, not under $2k. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/26/19 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Ah okay, that makes more sense.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/26/19 7:47 a.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to alfadriver :

The R32 Skyline had me wondering. Was a 4-door  but still, can't be cheap to import one, then got trashed by a drift kid and dumped for cheap maybe? I'm curious about that car's story.

Edit: wait, it was an R34. So, not legal to import? Sold for scrap after being seized by the government...racecars don't need a VIN or title...maybe?

I also entertained thoughts of it being a body swap or something bizarre like that.

The weird thing is, there was an r32 there too. It never ran. Discussion was had on how to pull it off- it would be possible if you found and bought the right car...in Japan, since hoopty transportation is exempt from budget. It's gonna cost you 5 grand to get it here, but you could do it.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/26/19 8:27 a.m.
Mndsm said:
slowbird said:

In reply to alfadriver :

The R32 Skyline had me wondering. Was a 4-door  but still, can't be cheap to import one, then got trashed by a drift kid and dumped for cheap maybe? I'm curious about that car's story.

Edit: wait, it was an R34. So, not legal to import? Sold for scrap after being seized by the government...racecars don't need a VIN or title...maybe?

I also entertained thoughts of it being a body swap or something bizarre like that.

The weird thing is, there was an r32 there too. It never ran. Discussion was had on how to pull it off- it would be possible if you found and bought the right car...in Japan, since hoopty transportation is exempt from budget. It's gonna cost you 5 grand to get it here, but you could do it.  

Most of the time, it's about opportunities.  A car actually shows up for sale at an incredibly low price, and someone had to take advantage of it and get it.  And what's great about this board- if the finder of the car can't or does not want to do it- they share the car with everyone in hopes that it gets bought and brought to the challenge.

There still may be some actual questionable cars out there, but I've never really seen them compared to the honest opportunities that people find and go off with them.  A good example of that this year was the Boxter.  Right car, right person, right spares- and you have a pretty darned valuable car that is actually eleigble for the Challenge.

Zillamaker
Zillamaker
10/26/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Hey, I know onna them guys!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/26/19 9:15 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Number one autocross car was a cts-v.....I never thought I'd see a challenge eligible that. It was FAST. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/19 10:41 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I beat him by 1/10th but it was a fun run :( shoulda kicked my wife out of the passenger seat sooner :)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/19 10:46 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Mndsm said:
slowbird said:

In reply to alfadriver :

Most of the time, it's about opportunities.  A car actually shows up for sale at an incredibly low price, and someone had to take advantage of it and get it.  And what's great about this board- if the finder of the car can't or does not want to do it- they share the car with everyone in hopes that it gets bought and brought to the challenge.

There still may be some actual questionable cars out there, but I've never really seen them compared to the honest opportunities that people find and go off with them.  A good example of that this year was the Boxter.  Right car, right person, right spares- and you have a pretty darned valuable car that is actually eleigble for the Challenge.

The Skyline only ran the exposition class, not for points. 

Pete Gossett
10/26/19 12:06 p.m.

SRT ate it:

I wish i knew the story on this. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/26/19 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

It probably involves a Mustang, right?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/19 12:39 p.m.

Am I the only one that represented Interstellar Sledgehammer at the Challenge?

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/26/19 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I saw them on the Boxster too.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
10/26/19 1:30 p.m.

Pete Gossett
10/26/19 2:21 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

In the absence of any facts I’d say that’s a strong possibility. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/19 5:01 p.m.

I feel like I went to a weekend of the best raves ever.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
10/26/19 5:15 p.m.
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/26/19 6:37 p.m.

So upset I'm missing out yet again this year. 

Pete Gossett
10/26/19 7:17 p.m.
yupididit said:

So upset I'm missing out yet again this year. 

I know I’m not the only one who hopes to see you next year! You’re always welcome to carpool with me(and hopefully Seth) from Biloxi if it helps you out. 

Pete Gossett
10/27/19 3:56 a.m.

Also, I think this year may set a record for the most Challenge cars bought/sold at the event? I can’t begin to remember/list all of them.

Patrick sold the AMG & bought a Mustang.

Someone bought the AMC.

I heard last night there were 2 or 3 other transactions though?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/27/19 4:09 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

is the 57 cars with scores a record for challenge?

edit:
also, kudos to the High Schoolers with the MR-2... they jumped 18 spots from 48th to 30th on the strength of their presentation (which was the 8th highest).  That's all phenomenal!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/27/19 5:16 a.m.

Its a pretty clean break....

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 Reader
10/27/19 5:55 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Also, I think this year may set a record for the most Challenge cars bought/sold at the event? I can’t begin to remember/list all of them.

Patrick sold the AMG & bought a Mustang.

Someone bought the AMC.

I heard last night there were 2 or 3 other transactions though?

My wife bought  cleannn Sentra SE R

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/27/19 6:37 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Its a pretty clean break....

As I understand it, they are designed to break exactly like that.  Something to do with rear impact crashes.  I believe there are kits out there to beef that area up.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
10/27/19 7:26 a.m.

Just a couple pics before I'm back on the road...

A Jaaag full of kids.

A Jaguar with pinache.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4RWxgsADtgymAZ5Ye84OV2whTiKFTjVOLMGbuzhhqMsITUMli7ZTW5pLHx2ZWlDW