frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/3/22 8:28 a.m.

On the off chance We go faster than a 10:49  in the drag  is there a cheap  scatter shield for the trans?  
   I'm thinking I can just remove the vibration damper to comply with that regulation?  

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/22 11:08 a.m.

Transmission blankets are the less expensive option.  Summit Racing Trans Blanket

You can remove the damper to comply with the damper requirement but the harmonics that those are designed to dampen are the kind that destroy engines and unless you know that you can get away without one I'd be reluctant to go that route.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
3/3/22 1:22 p.m.

If you run below an 11 and post a timeslip before the challenge I will order you an SFI trans blanket. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/5/22 5:08 a.m.
APEowner said:

Transmission blankets are the less expensive option.  Summit Racing Trans Blanket

You can remove the damper to comply with the damper requirement but the harmonics that those are designed to dampen are the kind that destroy engines and unless you know that you can get away without one I'd be reluctant to go that route.

$112. And it's budget neutral.  That's not a problem.  

V12's are inherently in balance. Plus Jaguar really went overboard to make it smooth. It's common to be able to balance a coin on the engine while its idling. There are even weight pads on the top and bottom of the connecting rods  which if removed is over 10 pounds.
     On top of that the crankshaft weighs 78.8 pounds compared to a typical V8 25-30 pound that has a 2nd order harmonics issue. 
    The coolant system on a Jaguar is 2.5 gallons. So running 1/4 mile without a water pump won't hurt it.  The battery should last without the alternator especially with a jump start from a fresh jumper battery.   Hmm, I wonder if I can run just a pulley?   
 Finally, I've got plenty of spares, most of which cost me  next to nothing. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/5/22 5:14 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

If you run below an 11 and post a timeslip before the challenge I will order you an SFI trans blanket. 

With no drag racing experience  that's a very safe bet.  But we're fully caged so I'd hate to be disqualified  for something that trivial. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/22 8:13 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Frenchy read the rules. I've already told you that I'm going to pick apart your budget. Don't let them bring the car to the Challenge only to get disqualified. Not saying this to be mean just trying to get you to read the rules.

frenchyd said: ...On top of that the crankshaft weighs 78.8 pounds compared to a typical V8 25-30 pound...

I pointed it out to you last time you said this but I guess you forgot. You're 20 pounds light on what a GM, Ford, or Chrysler small block crank weighs. They're all around 50 pounds give or take a few.

If you can turn up some 25-30 pound V8 crankhafts, you're gonna get rich selling them to racing guys.

Stampie
3/5/22 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

There's no way to get him to stop spreading his half truths and sometimes straight out wrong facts.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
3/6/22 12:24 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Can i have a transmission blanket

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/6/22 10:53 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Frenchy read the rules. I've already told you that I'm going to pick apart your budget. Don't let them bring the car to the Challenge only to get disqualified. Not saying this to be mean just trying to get you to read the rules.

I have read and reread the rules and then put a progress report up so everybody can see what I'm doing and how much things cost.    That way if anyone has any issue we can discuss it and I'll probably take a different approach.  If in the end there is a conflict between budget and my goal of going Vintage racing  I can always let them go down in the unlimited class.  But right now I'm at less than $1000 with a lot more to trade  and very little left to spend. 
      I can yank the cheap stuff off quickly after the event. Then replace  it with the things I'll need to go vintage racing with after the event. 

Stampie
3/6/22 11:16 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

You know I was just advised by someone wiser than me to just ignore you.  If you can't understand what's exempt or not then I can't help. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
3/7/22 1:02 p.m.
cruisermatt said:

Can i have a transmission blanket

Yes, but yours will be soft so you can tuck your transmission in at night. That way it can live the good life before you blow it up. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
3/8/22 12:23 p.m.

I will probably regret saying this but the 400 has actually been the most reliable and best part of the car since we rebuilt it and put the brake in besides the new lack of engine braking... still, having seen videos and heard all the horror stories of transmission parts through floors has got me ready to add some safety with how thin the bmw floor is surprise

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XFSPc7k3fT3aj8BCHzUqKMZLx96lJ35ozraKjRDai3JQQpHLCKd8aHyCmDZ2Sgi5