Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/10/19 9:48 a.m.

As many know from my for sale thread, I smucked up the Miata I had used in a previous challenge. Resulting damage was a front turn signal light, both bumper covers, taillights, and rear filler panel. Now, to add in a bit more, the clutch is rusted together or the slave is bad and The brakes were rusted together.

Now my questions for the masses, is how to budget the repairs. The brakes are already a set of slotted and cross drilled rotors, included or must I downgrade? Clutch I know OE replacement, shouldn't be a hit. Body parts? The rear panel is $$$. EBay lights are cheap compared to OE....

That's not counting any other things may be broken and need replacement....

Halp?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/19 11:05 a.m.

Sounds like broken normal usage. My option is as long as you're taking it back the same condition it should be free to budget but I'd document hell out of it and be forthcoming if upgrading during the process. 

keithedwards
keithedwards New Reader
5/10/19 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

When I have had  a frozen clutch, I could typically un-freeze it by push-starting it and then slamming on the brakes. Of course, I did it in a safe location, held down the clutch, and typically in a higher gear. Or maybe try to rev it up, also in a high gear.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/19 1:02 p.m.

In reply to keithedwards :

i jacked up the drive wheels, started engine with trans in 3rd and clutch pedal pressed, then stomped the brakes.   driveline inertia doesn't like infinite deceleration, so it shears the stuck disc from the flywheel.   done.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/10/19 3:12 p.m.

Pressure plate is frozen disengaged.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/10/19 3:20 p.m.

How?????

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/10/19 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

It was already sketchy when I put the trans in....

keithedwards
keithedwards New Reader
5/11/19 2:24 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

Pressure plate is frozen disengaged.

Wow. Never had that happen...

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/15/19 8:58 a.m.

I don't understand how that's possible. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/15/19 9:19 a.m.

Was the clutch pedal held down for a very long time?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/15/19 12:06 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UnghrZwIAdNLfdAnkiG9C88Ce0IGG74G4ZzMm8LESPiKwjdhdE5s3LN3xxDOtkyI