KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
8/19/21 9:11 a.m.

So it looks like I will be coming to the Challenge this year.  A few years ago I bought a Monster Miata for $2000 and with creative book-keeping it was Challenge eligible but I hated it and traded it off before attending.  Then I bought a broken NC for $2000 and was planning to run it, until a wiring issue cost me $2000 MORE dollars so that was out.  In 2019 I bought the Zoomboni but it wasn't ready for prime time that year.  In 2020 a combination of sloth and the Fiero not being ready kept me home.

But now!  Well the Fiero still isn't ready but the Zoomboni should be eligible and grandfathered in as a returning vehicle.  So check my math and tell me what I need to do.

Purchase price of $1600.  Sold the Mustang wheels for $300. Bought a tire trailer and wheels for $325 , sold the trailer for $275 netting me $50 Basset race wheels.  Paid $250 to have a pair of mufflers welded on.  Paid a buddy $100 to modify the drivers compartment a bit.  Paid $50 to have it aligned.  Paid a guy $200 to sort out some wiring issues it had.  By my math that has me at $1950.

Is that sufficient to run in the open Challenge or am I gonna have to run in exhibition?

Also, what is an NHRA "wind deflector"?  Since I don't have a windshield the rules say I need one.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/21 9:19 a.m.

Purchases at $2525, Recoup at $575, net $1950. 

For a wind deflector I built a metal deflector in front of the driver that would push wind up over the driver's head. It is not see through. Unless you are in the specific class that is called out, the NHRA wind deflector rule is so open its almost silly to even have the rule. 

Here is the version I saved last year when I was building. It may have changed. 

7:7  WINDSCREEN On open-bodied cars, or any other class car without a windshield, a metal or other fireproof deflector must be installed. Minimum size on Street Roadster and Altered class cars is 5 inches x 12 inches. The deflector should divert wind, liquids, and foreign matter over the driver’s head, be securely mounted, and installed in such a manner that it does not obstruct the driver’s frontal view in any way. Tape of any kind prohibited on any transparent windscreen. The use of any temporary or permanent shielding, including paint, that obstructs the driver’s vision (e.g., blinders, staging aids) and that is attached to the helmet or windscreen is prohibited.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
8/19/21 1:48 p.m.

A pic for those unfamiliar with the beast.  At autocross it's pretty brisk.  1850 lbs (plus driver) with a 225 hp V8 on 23x10.5" Avon A11 tires.  

But I've never drag raced it.  The gearing combo is a bit odd using a T-5 trans and a 4.3 Torsen rear end.  First gear is useless and the speed in gear is 29, 48, 74, 95, and 140.   For AX I've discovered that my best times are by just launching in 3rd since the small bog 20' out is quicker than the 2-3 shift would be.  That would mean I'd only have to shift twice on a drag run.

According to 1/4 mile calculators, on the motor it should get into the 12's.  How it responds to nitrous is entirely unknown so who can say what it'll actually do.   I want to say the original builders goal was 10's but that seems fairly terrifying.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/21 6:07 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Are those Avon's DOT? 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
8/19/21 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Erm,,, no.  Is that a rule?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
8/19/21 9:04 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

I think it was, I don't think it is anymore.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/21 9:08 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Yeah there are extra rules for non DOT tires. 

Stampie
8/19/21 9:11 p.m.

Five-point roll bars meeting item 4:10 of the NHRA's general safety regulations and arm restraints are mandatory in all open-top cars running a 13.49 E.T. or faster or running non-DOT tires.

Ok I looked it up.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/19/21 9:13 p.m.

Having challenged a t5/4.30 torsen car, the drags are a toughie. Its best 60ft with first, but a bitch to get right. Stampie did it way better than me.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
8/19/21 9:13 p.m.

Yeah, non dot tires technically mean you need an NHRA roll bar to go faster than 13.5 (in an open car). 

I'd check the roll bar to see if it's legal and if not email Tom quick for his thoughts. 

You could always grab a set of A7s instead. I know not cheap but they are DOT. Maybe some used?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
8/19/21 9:14 p.m.
Stampie said:

Five-point roll bars meeting item 4:10 of the NHRA's general safety regulations and arm restraints are mandatory in all open-top cars running a 13.49 E.T. or faster or running non-DOT tires.

Ok I looked it up.

Oh I was slightly wrong. Sounds like op might need the roll bar regardless of tire.

Stampie
8/19/21 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

You only got one chance before breaking the rear end.  After you gave me permission to abuse it I got like 12 runs before getting it 90% perfect.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
8/20/21 7:35 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

Ok I looked it up.

Oh I was slightly wrong. Sounds like op might need the roll bar regardless of tire.

It's literally a rolling 6 point cage.   I will need to look into arm restraints though.   That's not a piece of safety gear I've ever used before.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/21 9:11 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

The autox requires DOT tires. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/20/21 10:00 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

It's literally a rolling 6 point cage.   

Challenge rules say it will need to be NHRA compliant. Your door bars currently are not. There are minimum tube size requirements as well.

Not to be a complete party pooper, but I don't see a grandfather clause for former Challenge cars in the rules; only some language about budgets. Does Zoomboni meet the current production car eligibilities? 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
8/22/21 3:23 p.m.

i ran on non DOTs in 2018

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
9/23/21 7:44 a.m.

So after waffling about it for weeks I decided to just go for it and registered last night (literally one hour before the price went up).  See everyone there, I'll be running exhibition class as the "grandfathering" rules don't include non-cars.

Stampie
9/23/21 9:43 a.m.

It'll be nice to meet you in person. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
9/23/21 10:09 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

It's literally a rolling 6 point cage.   I will need to look into arm restraints though.   That's not a piece of safety gear I've ever used before.

I've done some wheel to wheel racing with arm restraints. I had some concerns about them ahead of time, but once you try them out it's no big deal. On track they evaporated as a concern for me. Given the risk you run in an open top car in a roll over (arms getting crushed by roll bar, ugh), I prefer them now.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/23/21 12:52 p.m.

You might want to do a little more followup on the cage.  I could certainly be wrong about this but I believe the rules are what the track requires so running in exhibition doesn't exempt you from them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gnGmNyjGhOQqIfdGLCZgYuj494wxFxNmPe3lQHYjmY8pCm48WamZzUnUjesAzmnN