Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/3/20 9:59 a.m.

I was looking over the rules and couldn't find this. Used to be if you traded labor for say a car you would budget the labor at your state's minimum wage. For example on the 350z I got from pimpm3 I have several hours of labor plus cash in the deal. Do we still budget the labor or is it now free to budget (I know wishful thinking)?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 5:35 a.m.

"Labor" <wink wink>

Also, please don't document that in your build book. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/4/20 6:32 a.m.

Your labor is free. Other people's labor goes in budget. 

Stampie
3/4/20 7:16 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I was not expecting that. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/4/20 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Wait, free as payment to acquire a vehicle or parts?  Because I think that's what is being asked about here.

So if I work for somebody for free for 6 months, 40 hrs a week, in exchange for a vehicle, I can budget that at $0?

Stampie
3/4/20 7:53 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Why you messing with my good thing?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/20 8:02 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

And maybe, to track what you have earned on those six months, the person you are working for gives you some sort of token.  And in a pinch these tokens can be exchanged for other goods and services, although most should go to the racecar. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 10:07 a.m.

I think it becomes a slippery slope if your labor/time has to count towards budget.

If I go to get a free car,  the drive time to get it, clearing out the brush to be able to pull it out, busting off frozen lugs, putting tires on it, loading it on a trailer and driving home is every bit as much labor/time as rebuilding an engine.

Stampie
3/4/20 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

The old rule was when you trade labor for stuff. For example I removed parts from the 350z for pimpm3 as part of the deal to acquire the car. But hey I’m good with Tom’s ruling because it saves me ~$35 in budget and a lot more on a deal I’m currently working. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/4/20 10:18 a.m.

Don't get too carried away here. If you pay for something with your labor, then the exchange rate rule would apply:

"Exchange rate is calculated on a per-item basis when you do the deal. It's "how many US dollars or their equivalent did you hand over for the part.”

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 2:39 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Don't get too carried away here. If you pay for something with your labor, then the exchange rate rule would apply:

"Exchange rate is calculated on a per-item basis when you do the deal. It's "how many US dollars or their equivalent did you hand over for the part.”

OK, but what is Stampie's time worth?  And is that the same value as my time?

example:  I spent 4 hours cleaning up a mess at whiskey_business' garage and he gave me two NIB Chinesium turbos. What's my labor worth? This happened last year, when the rule said "prevailing minimum wage in your state".  Now that rule is gone.

Stampie
3/4/20 3:21 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Correct.  Your time on the pole is probably worth a lot more than my time on the pole. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
3/25/20 10:32 a.m.

Yeah this is important to me too I traded K swap labor (done in my home garage not at the shop) for the built d16 and trans out of the swapped car it's currently in my build book as $100, 12hrs at PA min wage. I realize it's a gray area but it was in the rules when I negotiated the deal. If it matters I approached somebody who wanted a swap done but couldn't pay for it, he stockpiled parts. I did the work I kept what I took off everybody walked away happy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MuGXlyQO5wpRulFMGTBE7Kdj7IsQPq2yfbi2hMZuOr7UBM3TGIygwwamSTj3TWcb