1 2 3 4 5
jh36
jh36 Dork
2/4/22 4:00 a.m.

I don't have a challenge project, but I suggest a blindfolded driver/sighted copilot autocross/obstacle course challenge. Cars, golf cart...whatever. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/4/22 6:53 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Pogo stick autox. Heck, do the drags too.

Bicycle drags

Alan McCrispin and I did it together one year on a single speed Schwinn  tandem bicycle. Our time was 42 seconds. 

We didn't come in last. We beat 1 car. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/22 7:44 a.m.
hobiercr said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
hobiercr said:

In reply to stafford1500 :

Cornhole, but with metal decks and sets of pistons/connecting rods! You'd have to have a safety zone and the sound would be glorious.

Maybe stampie has a junk 500ci caddy block we can saw in half. I'm sure I can dig up some teensy motorcycle pistons. Hit the block 1 point, hole it 3 points. 

Stampie, it would probably be helpful to weld some wheels onto the half blocks just so we can sort of move them around. 

Decks made from 3/4" plywood would be lighter and we could drill out 4 "cylinders"

If this gets a little more traction I have some sheet material that would be an awesome deck material. It should provide a superb booming effect when a piston/rod combo hits it. I already have enough hardware to build up at least one board... That might provide the "safety" of not having people standing too close to the impact zone.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/22 8:14 a.m.

Tow vehicle drags?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/4/22 8:23 a.m.
QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

Tow vehicle drags?

I predict that someone, maybe not at the first year we do them, will end up without a tow vehicle to take their stuff home

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/22 12:19 p.m.

Wait.... what? Camping this year? Is this in addition to or replacing the usual hotel?

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/22 12:28 p.m.

Yelling contest. See who is the loudest person. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/22 12:49 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild :

You are required to live in a tent and will only be allowed access to cold water during the Challenge if you want to compete in the $2000 class. All food must be cooked over open fires using no more than sticks. Unlimited class entrants can stay in hotels and order room service.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

So it's like stage rally 2wd versus open light. 

PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham
PunchyWrench - Ed Higginbotham UberDork
2/4/22 1:05 p.m.

Rotating jam band during concours?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/4/22 1:48 p.m.

Do the sticks burned count towards my budget?

Keith Tanner
2/4/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild :

Only in the food truck class, because then they're considered as part of the vehicle.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/22 3:47 p.m.

Everybody should bring a gift to give away. 100% not kidding.

Gift can be 10mm sockets that you give to random strangers during the event. Could be putting on a presentation on how to make a fast drag car. Could be bringing a welder and offering free lessons. Bring a fire pit to the camp ground and make s'mores for everybody. Bring your home made beer and hand it out. Make a t-shirt template with the year on it and offer to customize people's t-shirts. Bring your guitar and a loop pedal and jam out. 

If you want to have an awesome event, you have to have awesome people there. And giving gifts makes everybody awesomer.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/4/22 3:57 p.m.

Depending on the event schedule a TSD rally could be cool.  Obviously it would take People off-site for a few hours but could be a neat thing.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/4/22 4:07 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Solid idea there.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/22 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Thanks! I stole it: https://burningman.org/about/10-principles/

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/4/22 4:30 p.m.
itsarebuild said:

Wait.... what? Camping this year? Is this in addition to or replacing the usual hotel?

This is in addition to the hotel. Details:

https://2000challenge.com/host-hotel

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/4/22 4:52 p.m.
wae said:

I was at a partner event for a tech company we resell a number of years ago where they did something pretty neat.  It was part of the regular reception on the first night where they opened up the bar and had all the food.  They had partnered with a local charity and had skids of bikes for needy kids.  Everyone grouped up - I think they did a couple partners paired with a couple of their employees so it worked like an ice breaker - and we assembled this giant stack of bikes that went on to be donated.

Maybe there's a similar local charity that could use a hundred hours of gearhead labor.

I would absolutely drive in and assemble bikes. I enjoy it, and I've done several recently, and even have some specialty tools. 

PowerWheels autocross competition. 2 classes, electric and non electric (note that electric doesn't mean stock) and then age brackets. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/4/22 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Better have a budget or someone's gonna swap a plaid in. 

Keith Tanner
2/4/22 6:33 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Better have a budget or someone's gonna swap a plaid in. 

What's the minimum amount of PowerWheels required? The plaid needs a real steering wheel anyhow.

I believe the rules state that you either need to have a stock powerwheels body over whatever chassis you build, or a stock powerwheels chassis. 

Also, I spoke to Nick about an hour ago with regards to some challenge related elements. I'll be emailing you this weekend. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/4/22 8:07 p.m.

Nearest I can tell, power wheels modders stick to original wheelbase....and that's about it. So......that? 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
2/6/22 4:49 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

There was a suggestion of a "Rod Toss" a few years ago.

There were several folks that seemed to have rod/piston combos out of broken stuff taking up shelf space.

I think the intent was something like horseshoes, but of course it morphed into distance or something equally silly.

Well my mind immediately goes to which rod has the best built in advantage?   Horseshoe type course you'd want the largest diameter big end.  
 Distance you'd want the lightest.  That's easy. Dragsters make one or two passes on a set of aluminum rods. While big end. Jaguar's 2.3 inch has to be near the top.  ;-) 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/7/22 6:02 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) :

you missed the Hong "Pit Cooler" back in '06? ...or 07? thing needed wheelie bars.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGG6QzsJj38LhZLZEr3ZtzNBTiis9rNoW8paepE5xn1IntJEfFslyRSpBPfAYr1D