1 2
andrave
andrave HalfDork
9/13/11 10:50 p.m.

My gf has her heart set on owning an old mini. Turns out they are expensive. I'd like to find one that is sorta crappy and cheap that I could swap a modern drivetrain into and do some work on. One of her brothers is a mechanic and another one is a body man, and I'm just kinda crazy and own a welder, so I figure we should be able to work some magic if I can find a hulk cheap enough.

anyone got one sitting in a field or a barn somewhere?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/11 11:14 p.m.

Trust me, unless you want to go refabricate the bottom 8" of a Mini, you don't want a hulk. They can easily out-rust 70s Fiats.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
9/13/11 11:19 p.m.

I have an idea about that. But.. if it was cheap enough, I just lost my job, so I got nothing but time.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
9/14/11 2:15 a.m.

Is one of these close enough? I dont currently know where any are (well one is likely still there, but no idea if it is for sale) but they are not much different than a mini and way cheaper.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
9/14/11 8:02 a.m.

expensive? no kidding. Here is the one you want for $1,500. Except he is asking $4,000.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2589434399.html

metalman
metalman Reader
9/14/11 8:13 a.m.

Several things come to mind here...

First, eliminate the 'Cooper' idea. Cooper is to Mini what SS is to Chevelle or GTO is to LeMans. Just look for a regular old Mini. Second, a good shell is worth $1500-2500. Thats just the way it is. If you want things like disc brakes that actually will stop the car also get your wallet out. The 7 1/2 disc brake kit for the front runs about $1400. Then of course you have the whole suspension thing to deal with, 'wet' suspension, dry suspension, what to do etc. Third, the car pictured above (Austin American) is mehh okay but other than the motor not really a Mini. Also they are nearly always automatic. IF, and I say IF you can find a 4 speed one you better snatch it...and even then the 'lump' is best used for a swap into a Mini. Fourth, the OP wants cheap, yet wants to do a motor swap. First define 'cheap'. Secondly swaps are NOT cheap to do so I would scrap that idea. The 'cheapest' Mini will likely be a regular old driver from the 70's-80's with a 998cc motor. Forget the early Mark 1's or Cooper, or Cooper S models. Another 'cheaper' one to look for is a Mini Clubman, which is not popular here in the USA. And lastly I do know where an old Mini is sitting....in my garage, and its NOT for sale. :-)

metalman
metalman Reader
9/14/11 8:23 a.m.

For viewing pleasure, here is a 'barn find' that a friend and I bought and rescued and that is now up and running. Its a 1972 Australian Mini Clubman powered by a 1098.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/14/11 8:26 a.m.

That front end looks very Simca.

metalman
metalman Reader
9/14/11 8:30 a.m.

They often cut off Clubbie front ends and swap them to standard Mini. But thats not super 'cheap' either.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/14/11 8:37 a.m.

A Clubman GT is my favorite Mini. I hate that people cut up Clubmans to make normal Minis

metalman
metalman Reader
9/14/11 8:57 a.m.

The GT is a rare bird so it wouldnt be a complete sin to clone a Clubman GT using a regular Clubbie. They are kinda cool. Of course to do it right there are several major upgrades required.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/14/11 9:02 a.m.

My dad's first car (he is from England) was a Clubman GT.

corytate
corytate Reader
9/14/11 12:54 p.m.

NOT a p.o.s. at all but not as expensive as I assumed it would be.
WANT. SO BAD.
http://hickory.craigslist.org/ctd/2567215007.html

metalman
metalman Reader
9/14/11 2:55 p.m.

Typical. 5+k will get you a 'driver'. Even then they will still likely have some rust.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
9/14/11 3:18 p.m.

Find other versions of the mini too. My friend picked up a Riley Elf for $1800. All it needed was a paint job and tires. Only thing was that his was RHD.

metalman
metalman Reader
9/14/11 10:54 p.m.

Like a $100 Miata hardtop a decent $1800 Riley is a fluke, dont count on finding one. They really dont exist.

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/15/11 9:08 a.m.
metalman wrote: For viewing pleasure, here is a 'barn find' that a friend and I bought and rescued and that is now up and running. Its a 1972 Australian Mini Clubman powered by a 1098.

Up and running, Finally. Still needs some new tires and a little more TLC. Previous owner is some where on this board. We were very lucky to pick this one up at a very nice Mini entry level price.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/20/11 11:12 p.m.
metalman
metalman Reader
9/20/11 11:20 p.m.

Thats not a Mini, thats a butchered Austin American and likely not worth hauling home.

andrave
andrave HalfDork
9/27/11 8:52 p.m.

it may not have been on purpose, but that austin truck is like 15 minutes from me. I may go look at it just for something to fill my day. as for motor swaps and disc brakes being expensive, I'm not sure whoever said that understands... I have a welder... I don't care about mini's. Or coopers. Or any of that. the only thing I know about them is that parts seem very expensive. The expensive things will be replaced with parts from another car. The likely plan would be to buy a wrecked corolla or something similar and swap everything over. Front engine, transmission, and as much of front suspension as is practical. Something with a rear beam would be easy to drop under the rear. I'm not saying this would be EASY. I'm just saying it would not be expensive. there are lots of junkyards around here with all sorta of inexpensive "inspiration" when I need a solution to a project.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
9/28/11 7:03 a.m.

Where are you, and what's your budget? I have one for sale, but it's not "Crappy"
Like others have said, you DONT want a crappy mini.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/28/11 7:05 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Where are you, and what's your budget? I have one for sale, but it's not "Crappy" Like others have said, you DONT want a crappy mini.

i know the one you have. its a nice mini.

wvonkessler
wvonkessler New Reader
9/28/11 9:21 a.m.

Buy her this instead: http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/2603178874.html

metalman
metalman Reader
9/28/11 9:30 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Like others have said, you DONT want a crappy mini.

It's hard for some to understand this but your are so very correct.

While I fully appreciate the 'I can weld therefore I can build a swapped Mini for nearly nothing' dream, (dreams are part of our car hobby) I would suggest that to build any decently road worthy Mini for a wife to drive will be neither easy or cheap. Many (perhaps most) 4 cyl drive trains will not even fit under the bonnet of a Mini. The 'cheap' swap road is not a road untraveled, and generally doesnt come out that way, OR it ends up being a cobbled up piece of garbage.

I say again, the 'cheapest' Mini will likely be something from the 70s-80s, 998 powered, and have some rust, but not a 'crappy' body. Just to bring a crappy body back to decent quality is not cheap nor easy, even with welding skills.

But, have fun...and carry on. We'll be watching. :-)

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
9/28/11 12:00 p.m.

My Parents lived over seas for two years when they 1st got married. They had a mini moke when i brought home a Austin American was the 1st time I'd heard about the moke. WTF is a moke? Think mini jeep.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f0viEYcBgCcLewQW1nOPLHxarxIAAUl7RGmbtHuqKAAG3Ch7evctQMJCBgx1xCVY